Getting started at 65 years old.

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Sand Dog, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Sand Dog

Sand Dog Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Name:
    Sandy S Summers
    I dug up some old gear and would like to fish Ocean Beach Pier because of restrooms and I can get there on the bus. I have an old Mitchell Garcia 302 and Shimano MLZ-60. I'm wondering what kind of new line I should use on these mid size spinning reels before I spend any money. Any suggestions?

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,916
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I would fill up that 302 with 12-15# Stren High Impact. 6 bucks at Walmart for several refills... That reel has loads of capacity, could even spool 20 on there if you wanted, but I feel that's a bit too heavy unless you are soaking some big baits.. that mlz is apparently rated for heavier line, but I don't know anything about it offhand..

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Sand Dog

Sand Dog Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Name:
    Sandy S Summers
    Thanks for that Coach, I got an old Army buddy coming to town for a couple of weeks. We're both on a budget and I'm hoping to catch the fishing bug once again to get me out of the house and away from the TV. If I get excited again i'll get a licence and off the pier, invest in some new gear and give a stab at surf fishing. That's looking real interesting from what I've seen on YouTube.

#3 Sand Dog, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +677
    Name:
    Perry
    Good for you! As an "older guy" myself, I fear having to stay home and plant my face in front of the boob tube. I've been fishing since I was 4 years old. I'm not a good fishermen like some, but I do enjoy trying.

I don't have a recommendation on lines for reels, but I do recommend that you find something that interests you and get out of the easy chair and live!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,784
    If those reels have been sitting for any length of time, you can take off the side plates and spray a few shots of WD-40 to loosen things up again. ( not a fix all, but works real well in a pinch to get you back on the road ). I agree with Werfless on 12-15 for the 302, especially when trying to winch a fish up onto a pier. Maybe a little lighter (8-10lb) for the MLZ-60 , for casting lures / jigs. I have two MLZ-10 reels from mid 80s. They’re tiny 2lb. Test reels, so I can kinda picture the size of your 60. Good luck out there!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,019
    Name:
    Eric
    Good luck! That pier will probably be fishing pretty well in another month here...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Welcome! You're in the right place!

8. Sand Dog

Sand Dog Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Name:
    Sandy S Summers
    Thanks Baywolf, the easy chair can be a trap alright.

9. Sand Dog

Sand Dog Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Name:
    Sandy S Summers
    Thanks Daddc

10. Sand Dog

Sand Dog Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Name:
    Sandy S Summers
    Thanks B&DHOOK, The MLZ-60 is actually a bit bigger than the 302 and in better shape. They both seem a little sticky. I have no idea how long they've been sitting,, maybe longer than I have. I went down to Stroud Tackle on Morena Blvd to buy a new reel only to find out they exclusively deal with fly fishing now. Ricky, the owner, just gave me these two reels that someone had donated to the cause. He wouldn't take any money for them or even let me buy him a burrito. It's all about the fishing to those guys. Hell, they're only open 24 hours a week when the ain't "Gone Fishing". I'll try to get these two reels in mint condition before I sink any of my limited funds on more expensive gear. I looked them up online and all I found was parts. LOL, yeah, I guess I've been mothballed longer than I thought. Good to you!!

11. Sand Dog

Sand Dog Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Name:
    Sandy S Summers
    Thanks Easy, Next month is when I'll be striking off to this adventure again. It sure would be nice to hook up with something I could really sink my teeth into to get my blood circulating and enthusiastic again. We used to catch large halibut under Ventura Bridge 40 years ago. However, since I learned of the WW-2 chemical waste dump under Sea World, I've been skeptical of eating anything out of Mission Bay. Damn, as a kid I used to dig clams out of that muck and make chowder with them. In 2006 an environmentalist took me on a tour of that bay. At the boat ramp just east of Sea World parking lot ( I think it's called South Beach Boat Landing) he took my out on the boat dock to show me that mussels and barnacles wouldn't even grow on the pilings there. It made quite an impression. Godspeed to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,916
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    The reason there aren't many mussels at S Shores is that they get raided for bait all the time by the spotfin guys who hit the east side of the bay. You ate chowder out of there from the clams and you didn't die from PCB or MEM exposure and never suffered toxic effects right? Don't believe everything the antis tell you..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,784
    You beat me to the punch Werf. ( not that I’m surprised ). Lol. I’ve been eating bay bass, sand bass, ( lots of sand bass in early 80s ), halibut, 8+ in the last 2 years, and many lobster from the bay. Hey ! I’m ok... I think.. trust me, McDonalds Big Mac sauce, and In N Outs Animal sauce is much worse than a few pounds of fresh bay fish any day. IMO... ya, and those yummy bean N cheese burritos from your favorite taco shop that you just can’t seem to duplicate at home. It’s because their beans are mixed with yummy lard and Rosarita store beans don’t compare in taste. Again, I’m sure any bay fish eaten is better for you than any yummy lard / cheese filled burrito, or mayo caked burger, along with deep fried potato’s. Ehhh, it’s all good and I’ll eat any and all of said above in one form or another when given the chance. Seriously, when is the last time you’ve heard of someone dying from eating too much San Diego Bay fish ? Or Mission Bay fish for that matter. Ya, never...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Fisher not a catcher

Fisher not a catcher Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    hahaha when I lived down there, I used to fish that dock at night and catch sargo, spotties, rays and anything that would come by. The only bait I used were those mussels. I would see some other guys doing the same thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,928
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Have a good friend , who works for a lab that does the testing for several state agencies from Alaska to Mexico . She told me that when they test a species of fish from any area they grind the entire fish into a slurry then they test for metals and chemicals . If you wish to avoid contamination , eat only the boneless skinless fillets . Try to cook in a way that the fat melts out of the meat IE broil or grill . There are some species that are more problematic than others . I believe that there are published guidelines from several different agencies including the CADFW . Basically don't eat the guts/ livers or the skin . For those who eat raw fish there are a gamut of parasites that may be more dangerous than the chemical or metal load in the short term . Of course there is always catch and release . I don't think that eating clams or other shellfish from the area around the TJ river estuary would be advisable either . Tight lines

#15 William Ritchie, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  16. UberMitch

UberMitch Member

Ratings:
    +74
  17. Fritzy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,178
    I dont think the type of toxic exposure they are warning about is something youre going to be aware of immediately. Its a cumulative effect that will cause health issues in the long run. My rule of thumb for the bay is dont eat anything that lives its entire life there and stay away from bottom feeders.

18. Fritzy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,178
    And stay off my lawn!!