Ghost Shrimp Fishing San Diego Bay

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Pourboy, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +933

Hey all,
    Headed back out onto the big bay last weekend to do something that I had not done in quite a while. Fishing with ghost shrimp! I wanted to take it back to how I learned to fish on the bays. I headed to Mission Bay at first light to get the shrimp. I know I can get them in the big bay but I know my spots in Mission Bay where I can make bait super quickly with easy parking and everything. It took me about 20 minutes to get the bait and then I was off over the hill to Coronado for the fishing.

Low tide was here and I got into the tube for the trip south of the bridge. Along the way I managed a bunch of spotties slow rolling a blade so that started the day off right. Everything was clicking that day. Tides, bait and cooperative fish. Finally made it to the flats and the action was basically nonstop for the next few hours.

I ended up with 3 stingrays, a smoothhound, yellow fin croaker and dozens of spotties on the shrimp. I also decided to bring out an ultralight setup for while I was soaking the bait. I used 4 lb test and a 3in Gulp Minnow on an 1/8oz jig head to get some more spotties including the biggest of the day a bit over 15”.

Headed back around 1pm and felt like I was in a washing machine getting across the Glorietta Channel. SO MANY BOATS! But to be fair it was 4th of July weekend so…

I had a great time and will do it again soon. Check out the video for more details.

p.s. I did have an unusual experience over by the Navy area south of the bridge. While I was fishing I had a creature show up that I’m not sure what it was. It was in the area for at least an hour and circled me about 5 times. I was not able to get it on camera. I don’t think it was a sea lion (I’ve been in the water a long time and know what dogs look and act like). It was 4-5 feet long and roundish and brown but moved pretty slowly (compared to sea lions) and almost seemed like a large turtle. Do you guys have any ideas? When it circled me it was just deep enough that I couldn’t exactly see what it was. I did try throwing some bait down in the water but it never reacted. Another mystery I guess.

Cheers!

EEAA6B4A-74FB-4906-AF89-47CB470274CD.png

B2BDC71A-6203-43BB-A981-E6DB05A4682F.jpeg

6FB26422-4CAB-461C-94C0-7DFBF7A19878.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,917
    That would be a ton of fun on the ultra light... Congrats a a good day... No idea what the mystery thing was...

3. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +933
    As I was watching it I wondered if the navy has an underwater drone that looks like a turtle. You never know!

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +63,907
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    There are a few turtles that hang around south of the bridge

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. wackyrig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +585
    Probably a long lost German submarine, they found one a few weeks ago. It was a small single man sub....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,789
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Training exercise, nothing to see here folks move along.....
    Maybe it was a different type of seal, the kind with a rebreather...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +933
    My thoughts exactly.

8. myahk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +959
    the South Bay turtles come up for breath somewhat frequently if they’re around, have mistaken their head splashes for boils a few times.