Glock vs Springfield XD

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by wackyrig, Jun 30, 2018.

1. wackyrig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +430
    Looking to buy a 9mm or 40, going to use for plinking and range shooting. Anyone see a reason to go Glock or SA-XD ? SA comes with an extra 3 (5 all together) mags and range bag, for close to the same price. Ford vs Chevy is w hgv at I'm gathering so far.

2. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,700
    Tuff call , ive shot em both and they are really great guns.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,418
    I have a Beretta M9 and Sig Sauer P226

Now I want a Glock 19. It’s what the Seals are switching to....

These three are their pistols....They’ve done the tests for you....What more can you say?

4. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,418
    1911 in .45 ACP is what Seals (a couple still I hear) used before the 3 I mentioned.

Maaaan! I’ve always wanted a Colt .45 1911! ☹️

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,983
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    My wife has the XD. Point of aim is right there, meaning you point and aim and then look at your sights, and you are right on target. With the Glock my point is usually high.

6. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,481
    First firearm I ever handled and shot was a 1911 manufactured right near the start of WWII. My understanding is that that firearm is one of many that I stand to inherit. I already own the M1 carried by the guy who carried the 1911.

7. AzImport

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,481
    Yeah, the 1911 is from Springfield. The M1 is a Remington. Or atleast the receiver is. Everything matches up on the 1911, but the M1 has had some parts replaced since it went into private ownership.

8. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,418
    Priceless pieces of American history. What was used to fight for our freedoms?

9. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,418
    I wished I purchased an M1 when CMP was selling them for $400.....Also wished I had a Springfield 03..........

FYI - A law went into effect today. All Colt AR-15 owners must modify their rifles to be in compliance with “safety regulations.” That said, keep em in your gun safes. Sucks we must do this when they were purchased pre-ban or pre-reg......

Sigh.....I hope they don’t say anything about Historical Pieces of History. God forbid if it is Semi-Automatic and has more than a 5 round capacity......

10. AzImport

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,481
    Its really awesome knowing exactly where both pieces have been and what they have seen the Marine that carried them through. He spent his entire service fighting the island campaigns. It was awesome to get to sit down with him and hear his stories.

11. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,418
    My Step-Father was a WW2 Marine. Joined in 1942 at 17 foregoing his Senior Year in HS....

By the time he was 19 he had 4 Amphibious Landings with the 4th Marine Division. Iwo Jima, Saipan, Tinian and Roi-Namur.....2 Purple Hearts.......Somehow I was able to learn his experiences before we were at each other’s throats when I entered my teens.

Though he had his shortcomings as a Step-Father he came from the Greatest Generation before the word PTSD was invented and they cured “shell shock” and “battle fatigue” with a warm blanket and a hot cup of coffee. They came home as heroes but broken men. It was showing weakness and “not manly” to be affected by the trauma of war.....So they suffered in silence becoming monster husbands and fathers affected by experiences we can only imagine with the only respite being “the bottle.”

Especially WW2 Marines who historically got the Army/Navy reject equipment and made due......These awesome examples of American grit and spirit did the most with the least with no luxury like an R&R in Paris.

What this generation of “real men” did with the M1 and 45 I hope we never will forget.

I found forgiveness and understanding for my Step Father and Father as there was no understanding of PTSD. And this was the primary reason they were not “good fathers.”

Now all we have, are the tools of their trade, they held with bloody frightened and courageous hands.......

PRICELESS!

#11 geofish, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  12. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,418

Sorry for the rant. I just came home from church and I’m reflecting and M1 and 45 auto triggered my appreciation for what I have as an American and pride in what these weapons represent....

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. wackyrig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +430
    Good info.

14. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,418
    LOL! Marines say the Army called them Garands. Marines call them M1’s!

Marines will also say the Army wears their covers indoors, we don’t!

15. AzImport

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,481
    When I say M1 I mean the Garand. I've got access to the carbine, don't care for it lol

16. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,418
    That’s

LOL that’s another thing altogether....That’s the M1 Carbine.....My opinion a POS.....makes a weird/cool sound when fires but very underpowered IMO

17. AzImport

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,481
    I helped my father in law get rid of some of his .30cal by way of mag dumping about 10 mags through his carbine... ever so slightly loaded on the weak side... I spent half my time doing the work of the gas system because there wasn't enough pressure to eject the spent casings. Silly father in law trying to be cheap with his handloads... lol

18. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +570
    Back to the question. If you like the 1911 grip angle, don’t get a glock. They are wonderful pistols but you have to like the grip angle. You have to cant the pistol forward for sight alignment. The grip angle is great for many but not many. You will need to train to get used to it.

The 40 vs 9 debate. With modern bullet technology, the 9 meets all FBI testing requirements. With the snap of the 40, the average dude finds it more difficult to shoot. More unnecessary recoil. Many PDs are actually going back to 9.

The stories of 9s bouncing off window shields or being stopped by jean jackets are no more. My next pistol will be in 9 and it’s 30-50% cheaper than 40.

What about a CZ 75?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,418
    I’m an M9 Beretta guy

20. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    The 1911 is a beautiful gun. Have a couple nice things done to it and it's even better. I was a revolver person until I shot a 1911. Having said that my personal protection gun is still a revolver. But a nice little one you can't beat. It's a Ruger LCR 38 +P Poly. It's a spurless, snub nose great for CC but I'm not licensed for that yet.