Glock vs Springfield XD

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by wackyrig, Jun 30, 2018.

1. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Spurless as in hammerless?

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,367
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    The debate over caliber will rage on forever . Watch out for the guy with 1 weapon he probably knows how to use it . Get what fits your hand and fingers , if possible get a format that you can get a kit a to switch out to 22lr . Practice will be cheaper and the paper doesn't care what it gets hit with . In modern 1911 format Kimber is hard to beat . Good Shooting

#22 William Ritchie, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    Yes, just another way of saying it.

4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,555
    Both are great manufacturers that make great weapons. I went with Glock - just personal preference. 19, 22 and 23. They all fire Speer Gold Dots beautifully. They're a confidence booster, for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,516
    Name:
    Kenny
    I have a G17 and buddy has an XD40. Both great guns, easy and comfortable to shoot, cannot go WRONG. My 2 cents for the your needs you pointed out, 9mm ammo is cheaper. I like going with the cheaper route for range use (see paper comment above). In addition, load it with hollow points when you're home from the range and it's a great security option. It's no 12GA but will get the job done. As far as the mags go, don't let a few free mags sway your decision. You should try out each gun (maybe rentals) and buy what you like most. After that, bring CASH and stock up on mags in Vegas...

6. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    I agree. If YOU can’t shoot IT.....It’s no good for you. So what if so and so can shoot it...... If it doesn’t feel comfortable or you can’t put a bullet on paper or you don’t believe in it.....

Then find something you can shoot accurately.....Start with a .22 pistol. Get good at it then go up to a 9......If a 9 works but you can’t shoot a .357, .40, .44 or .45 then stick with the 9mm....

My 2 cents

Same with manufacturers. If you can shoot a Beretta but not the Glock or Sig the. Stick with what brand suits you.....

7. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,367
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Mine cost me $165 delivered to my door by the US post office , DCM as it was called then purchase after qualifying match ! Good rifle shoots straight , and as been said a real piece of history. Heard thru the grape vine there may be some 10,000 more unissued ones coming up . Stored in sealed steel drums at a base in north east Oregon . If I told you who told me he would have to kill me . Just putting it out there

8. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +448
    From a 9 or 40 standpoint for range shooting, I like the 9mm. More accurate and cheaper. The 40 tends be snappier and less accurate, at least for quick followup shots. Now from glock or XD, I don't know if anyone mentioned this but the other thing to consider is their safties. One is passive and the other is not. That is the biggest difference between the two. Depending on what you already have and what you plan to do with the handgun, this may be a big deciding factor. The XD also fits smaller hands better I think, my wife loves hers. Did not care for the glock.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. coloradokid

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +301
    wouldn't trade my glock 23 compact in a .40 for anything.... it hits like a sledgehammer and you can place accurate follow up shots if you have decent handgun experience. Everyone above is right about cost though....

Because i know you were dying for my opinion!

10. wackyrig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +430
    I ended up with the XD9, picked it today and shot 100 rounds through it at Discount Guns in Santee, awsome and accurate. Got it during black Friday sale....

11. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +570
    You’ll be happy

12. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +448
    Those deals are tough to beat. I wished I could have picked up more at those pieces. Glad you enjoyed it!

13. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,516
    Name:
    Kenny
    From Turners? Their Black Friday sale was pretty good. I think they tossed in a range bag and a few extra mags for a total of 6. I like Discount too, both Santee and Morena Blvd.

14. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,612
    Name:
    Eric
    I'm a glock guy myself. Fits better in my hand. I've used a buddy's xd9 at the range and liked it but still preferred glock. 1911 have a very different grip. What works best for you is the beat choice. I think .40 is definitely snappier than 9mm but if you're used to it accurate follow up shots aren't a problem. Enjoy your XD9 though they're quality

15. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,555
    Yep. I agree. You gotta use whatever makes you totally comfortable.. not just in your hand, but in your head. If you go into a situation without confidence in your weapon (or any piece of gear you have), you might as well not go in at all.

16. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,570
    The battle of the calibers has been going on for years. Remember the handgun you carry has to be comfortable to wear on your body and easy to carry/conceal or you will more and more forget/neglect to take it with you as you go out the door and it does you no good sitting in a drawer at home. It must be reliable as in "bang-recycle" when you pull the trigger for a semi auto. Most shootings take place at around 7 yds (21 ft) so accuracy is not paramount. It must carry at least 6-8 rounds as any more and if you haven't ended the threat then it's time to put your Nikes in gear and beat feet. It must fit your size hand and shooting style so when you shoot you have a very good chance of hitting what you aim at. It must be of a caliber sufficient to cause major wounding/"stopping power." So caliber, size, fit, price, capacity. dependability all must be taken into play when you select a handgun. If allowed only one handgun over all others and if it was my only choice ( I have 8 pistols/revolvers) it would be the old tried and true S&W 4 " K-frame .357 mag. It points well (for me) if it don't go bang I just pull the trigger again, it shoots fairly cheap .38 Spl and .357 has just about the most "knock down power" in pistol calibers for a carry piece also it is fairly easy to reload and isn't mag fussy. So there is my 2 cents worth. But boy o boy I love blasting away with my slabsided 1911 .45 Auto and it is accurate to a fault but as a carry piece it is so heavy it would pull down my pants and carrying in condition one (round in chamber, cocked with safety on) scares the heck outa me. Last word on calibers remember the FBI just switched back to 9mm vs .40 S&W due to the improvement in commercial duty ammo. Many factors on a caliber change (SWAT & HRT still carry custom 1911's in .45 Auto) come into play and caliber change in the hide bound FBI for their duty/issue weapon is not taken lightly and only after months of testing/policy review.

17. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    Good info.

I am finding that although I like the size/feel of my Ruger LCR 38 +P I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I think it's the trigger though. It takes a long pull to fire it and the trigger is stiff. By the time it fires who knows where it's pointing. Needs a trip to the gunsmith. So does the Para - what a piece of crap.

18. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,992
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I am told that you do not pull the trigger, you press it! Not really sure what that means.

19. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,570
    Double action could be considered a "pull" due to longer trigger travel. Single action could be considered a "press" as the piece is precocked with a short trigger travel. Now with a striker fired handgun it could be considered a ......??? I think some gunwriters get wrapped up in the semantics of their description of shooting to show how smart they are. Bottom line engage the front pad of your trigger finger up to but not beyond the crook of the finger with the trigger and pull/press back with a steady even pressure as in DON'T JERK IT.

20. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,992
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I can pretty much guarantee that shooting done in the heat of "for your life" exchange, is not done in this manner. If taking a head shot of a bad guy holding a hostage, that is the time that such training comes in handy.
    weldon , have you been to Frontsite in Parump? Sounds like the same instruction I received.

Funny story, we were doing an exercise learning how to "clear a house". There were several posters throughout the "house" representing people who were threats or non-threats. The first corner I rounded I shot a man holding a cell phone. My instructor, who had hold of me with a large caribener to my belt, asked me why I shot him? My answer: "I don't know him, and what is he doing in my house?" The instructor said, "you have a point".

#40 fisheromen, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018