Glock vs Springfield XD

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by wackyrig, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    Yeah, I'm aware of the proper way to pull/push/press a trigger, that's why I know I have a problem. If it doesn't improve after some changes I'll change guns. I actually had someone say, "I thought you could shoot". It seems not with this gun.
    :emoji_confused:

2. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +448
    Do you practice dry firing? When my shots start to get sloppy, I'll start dry firing before continuing at the range. But it's good practice at home too. Sometimes this can correct the issue.

357 could cause many to flinch. Especially with something like a snub nose revolver. Not sure what you're shooting though.

3. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,570
    You aren't meeting one of the major aspects of having a defensive handgun and that is you lack confidence in it. Dump it and get one that YOU feel comfortable/confident in shooting. Besides snubbys are called belly guns for a reason. Stick it in their belly and start pulling the trigger. Short barrel, hard trigger, skinny grips, sights stuck on as an after thought shooting .357 mags (try shooting at night and you will be blinded by the flash after the first shot) all lead up to this is why they are mostly considered back up guns of last resort.In 1969 I got a S&W Mdl 38 which had an aluminum frame (14 1/2 oz) and looked much like your Ruger LCR as I could fire it double or single action. I carried it for several years but even after adding larger custom wood grips, a "fat' trigger and shooting several thousand rounds through it I gave up as up to 7 yds I could get mostly center mass hits but beyond that forget it. When I shot the old PPC course (up to 60 yds) with my K Frame mdl 19 I shot several "possibles" and always a 97-99 on the old bent arm, man sized K-5 target on a slow day.

4. JFF

JFF
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +145
    I haven't read all the comments but so my apologies if it was mentioned but I would suggest a Glock 40 solely because you could get a conversion kit/barrel and convert it to a 357SIG.

I have a Glock 19 (w/ night sights) and the XD45. Next is a P226 then a 1911.

5. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    image.jpeg
    Above is the gun. It's a .38+P. I was taught to never dry fire a gun.

6. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +448
    Oh yeah, don't feel bad for not shooting "well" Isnt that gun designed to just go bang and be comfortable to carry? I like the hammerless design though, looks like it would sit nicely in a pocket.

But whats wrong with dry firing? It is the most practical way I can think of practicing pulling the trigger without flinching.

7. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,718
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    If you don’t care for the M1 Carbine maybe add the civilian version of the
    M14 like the Springfield M1A1 SOCOM ???

8. wackyrig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +430
    Bought it at Discount Gun.

9. Shawn5

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +213
    I was at Turners today and I believe they have a pretty good deal on the xd9mm I think it came with 5 mags and a range bag as far as either gun you want go with the one that feels more comfortable

10. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    Below is some official verbage and I guess that's why I was taught it is generally not good for guns. I have rubber bullets in .45 -.38 -.22 for testing purposes.

It is generally acceptable to dry fire more modern centerfire firearms without a cartridge or snap cap for limited volume training. ... However, dry firing a rimfire firearm, striker based firearms or guns with angled firing pins (such as revolvers with hammer-mounted firing pins or older shotguns) can damage the gun.

11. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +448
    Right, I understand its not great to do it without a "snap cap." But that's what I meant by dry firing, with the snap cap. Its a pain since you have to rack it after every round but gives you practice with that too. I actually don't have any rimfire guns and should get some.

12. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    It is nice to own a bit of everything when it comes to firearms!

13. Bigpondonly

Bigpondonly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Can't go wrong with a Glock or a 1911. Simple to work on, parts available everywhere, eats almost all ammo reliably.
    Caliber is what you are comfortable and accurate with. Training is a must. Also look at the S&W VTAC 9mm if you can find one in Commiefornia.

14. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +570
    Many modern pistols can be dry fired until kingdom come without issue. The research/info is out there.....or a call to the manufacturer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    Yep, did just that - as posted above. I figure I was taught not to do it because in some firearms (rim fire) you aren't supposed to. Now I know the difference.

16. tjohnson619

tjohnson619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Boat:
    16ft Basstracker
    late to the show but i love my xd40.. i went and shoot both glock and xd before buying... xd is more comfortable and i shoot it better. the main difference in the 2 is angle of grip to barrel... i can pretty much shoot the xd with just point inside 10 yds.. glock i was always high

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,992
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Most modern revolvers have a transfer bar, which makes them safe to dry fire. I say safe but dry firing is only safe if there is no ammo in the room! Never take for granted that a gun is empty! Unloaded guns have killed too many!

BTW, that tiny revolver is like a .380 backup! It will twist in your hand. Good for concealment, bad for comfortable shooting or accuracy.

18. naimad

naimad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98
    both are good guns I prefer the Glock over the XD the best gun for you is going to be the one that fits you and is comfortable for you to shoot go to the local indoor range and rent both of them that's your best bet

19. Tadyhawk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,104
    Name:
    Romel
    When I took my XD to the range... 70% jam rate with alum casing.

My Glock 17 has ran through a ton of alum casing and had 0 jams. UNLESS my girlfriend is shooting it lol.