Glorietta 3/19

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Creek, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,730
    Decided to give Occasional Cortex and her tribe a rest.. well, just for a few minutes.:emoji_joy:

Fog, and an onshore wind were kicking up from the SW, a slight chill in the air, and some fish.. plenty of fish.

Met Chris and CaptWoody this morning for a little rust-removal. Personally, I've been so sick of putting off fishing because of wet weather, cold wind and cold water. The heII with it.. The possibility of being cold to the bone didn't even matter today. Like the other two boys, I just needed to get out to once again feel what I hadn't felt in a couple of months.

Launched off the boat ramp and went straight across to the golf course. Unless you know the venue well or have sonar, you'd never know that there was a sweet little stretch of 45-degree drop-off shelf within feet of the sand. I love it there. Its chock-full of fish - always. The two boys traveled east along the point and around the corner, but I stayed where I was comfortable - and where I knew fish would be hiding. By the time the boys came back around the point, I had 28 to my credit. Sure, they were all small Spotties and Mackerel, but there were 28 of them. The Capt's numbers were a little thin, so he made an adjustment.. ditch the fly clips and get back to loop knots. His number skyrocketed immediately. Chris remained quiet, but I knew he was doing well because he always does. We started picking up Halibut - all illegals, but Halibut nonetheless. Capt and Chris had the best at 18", and the three I picked up were all less than that. I'm guessing Capt was digging his new 200gr sunk-tip line. Its the same line I use and have so much success with.

We all monkeyed around a little while longer at the shelf, then bailed west across the bay for the wall. There we continued to get hammered by little Spotties and Macks, but I'm still not sure how I kept catching them. My flies didn't even look like flies anymore.. just hook shanks, lead eyes and a few strands of fiber were all that remained. I counted the hairs that were left on my olive/white clouser.. 6. Six hairs. That's it. Proof once again that bay fish will hit anything.

Final number for me was 58. I have no idea what Chris' or the Capt's final number was. Hopefully, Capt will chime in here and tell us what their numbers were.

So a great three hours of water time. Water temp was 62. Not much else to say other than my right knee is so sore, I look like an old man walking about the house. But it was great to get out, and even better to have a banner day at 58 total. I can only pray that we have many more days like today.. warmer water and warmer air temps coming soon !!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming and daily dose of Occasional Cortex Extreme Left bartender banter !
    sO3Q6Cc.jpg NKcJ0nE.jpg DdGEBvh.jpg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +32,044
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Damn son.. some nice numbers there.. well done

3. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    It was a great day, I was rusty and farmed a bunch but still caught 23. I haven't mastered the strip hookset yet and keep raising the rod, but I am getting better. No more Rio clips for me unless toothy critters are involved. As I have said in the past I am a monkey see, monkey do guy when it comes to learning so its a real pleasure to fish with Chris and Mike I get better every time. Cant wait to get cleared to use boat and start boating bonefish. Thanks Mike and Chris

4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Good info. 62 degrees?

5. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,614
    Thanks for feedback on clips. I have noticed no discernible difference in grab rates between using clips and not using them after using them for 8 trips. I have multiple rods with me and switch. Tomaśo doesn’t use them and our catch rates are the same when I have one on my leader.

So the engineer part of me wonders why you had a change of success when you removed the clip. I suspect it was something besides the clip, but it may have been the clip.

Stick with what you have confidence in though. Confidence often counts for more than any fly or lure or bait.

You will get the strip set down eventually. It’s easier to learn when you have to opportunity to regularly catch bigger fish that have some weight to them. I still sometimes have a brain cramp and swing the rod - and usually come up empty when I do.

Good work guys.

Oh, and when you start fishing from a boat you will find that you will need to learn some subtle changes to your techniques.

6. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Don't have a thermometer but website says 59 degrees, fish finder said 60. Thanks Craig hoping Doc will clear me to use boat April 11 or if I can get my weight limit for lifting raised to 25lbs I can start using the Hobie I11s and access those south bay Bonefish

7. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,942
    nice outting..one thing i appreciate about you even though politically on most subjects we disagree with eachother..you are one of the few lounge stalkers that actually posts in the fishing part of this fishing forum...hopefully soon we can fish together..you can where your maga hat and i will wear my f trump shirt and we can really confuse the folks on shore...

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,730
    62 water temp .. at Glorietta.. on my sonar. Who knows how well calibrated it is.. but it didnt feel bad at all.

9. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +955
    I have started using snaps occasionally, and have seen no obvious difference in catch rate. The intention was to make it easier to change flies, but I discovered I never change flies anyway.

I was down in the far south bay with bajacamp yesterday... MISERABLE WEATHER! 64-deg water generally. Got some bones, a couple corvina, and the mandatory spotties, but generally a lot of work. Plus... when we arrived at J-street at 07:00, the gate was sill locked! Had to fight north bound traffic to get to Pepper Park... grrrrr.

10. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,614
    Shows how much I really Pay attention I guess

11. natural_one

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,518
    Good outing. Cruised by you at 9am in a rental skiff with my parents who were in from AZ. Still hate how late they open on weekdays.
    Threw underspins for a couple hours on the flat south of the bridge for countless Spotties/Macks and 3 Hali, one just shy of 22 and this monster:

4A47A46A-AE6A-4FD9-BF90-C4762ECBC620.jpeg

9807154B-FC3C-4C7D-926F-871D34461AE9.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,730
    We saw you !! I'm pretty sure we were on our way back to the launch when you went by !!

13. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,730
    And I agree.. Political views are one thing.. fishing is another. These relationships are all about fishing. Once the weather starts to flip toward summer, you're coming out with me on a float tube.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. natural_one

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,518
    I first started fishing out of a float tube with the flyrod. Seeing you guys made my dad and I reminisce about those days 25 years ago. Looks like fun!

15. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,730
    You need to get out here with us.

16. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Maybe I'll tag along..in my MAGA hat and I'm With Her tee-shirt....

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,730
    I'm just trying to decide if I should be offended.:emoji_joy: