Glow Green Hookup Baits - They Glow!

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by geofish, Dec 21, 2017.

1. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,922
    Hello SDFISH,

In the spirit of spreading acquired knowledge and or “AHA Moments” I wanted to share something I learned......

Now, this might have been a closely guarded secret of Hookup Baits (not advertised) or a few of you folks have kept this under wraps.....Anyhoo, I’ve been using “Glow Green Hookup Baits” for a year now. As you all know, I Fish a lot at night.....But I’m a dork and didn’t know or ever considered that “Glow Green” HUB’s actually GLOWED......

So Fomen inferred that “Glow Green” HUB’s glowed and wrote his opinions of glowing Baits and Bioluminescence in nature.....Since I know Fomen doesn't use HUBs and I was a “Smarty Pants...”. So I naively said “Oh, that’s just the name of the color.”

I was wrong......First I emailed Chad Gierlich of Hookup Baits and he responded that “Yes, Glow Green Hookups glow and they are the only color that Glows.”

I take a NIB pack of Glow Greens and head to my garage at 11pm......Here’s what I learned:

No light source applied = No Glow
    Head Lamp for 10 seconds = No Glow
    1250 Lumens for 10 Seconds = No Detectable Glow

Stubbornly and only because Chad said they glowed.....I zapped the Shiz At 1250Lumens....

1250Lumens @ 20-25 Seconds = Slight, subtle glow.....
    1250Lumens @ 30-60 Seconds = Slight, subtle glow........

So “MYTH CONFIRMED”

Even though Glow Green has been very productive for me, day and night the past year, I wonder if I could have caught more if I zapped it? I guess another experiment is in order......

2. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,001
    So this is my opinion on Glow baits:

#1- If they're going to be glowing, then make them glow in blue, and make sure they actually GLOW!

#2- Don't manufacture them with inferior glow powders. Use strontium illuminate powder! Glonation.com carries strontium illuminate powder in many different colors. The cool colors glow for a very long time. You should be able to charge the lure for 3-5 seconds with a LED light, and the lure should glow brightly for at least 10 minutes. FAR longer than it takes to cast out and retrieve the lure back before recharging again.

#3- Less is more. The powder can be mixed into the virgin plastisol in small quantities, but ideally the surface of the lure should be "dusted". This can be achieved by hitting the lure with a heat gun on low just long enough to soften the surface of the plastisol, then use a device to "dust" the surface. As the plastisol cools, the powder will set in place. It won't come off. If you're concerned about it coming off, you dust the surface when warm, then dip the entire lure into virgin plastisol without colorant in it. It will create a paper thin layer of clear plastisol that coats the surface of the lure, bonds to the existing plastisol at a molecular level, and locks in the glow powder.

2.09_P08_G10_Abraliabigger.jpg

Firefly-squid-showing-bioluminescence.jpg

Notice the squid have a bioluminescent "dusting" appearance. This is very easy to achieve when pouring your own lures. It's also easy to achieve on existing ones. But also notice the color...... BLUE!

Geofish, I have everything you need to accomplish this task on your existing lures. If you want to come over to my house this weekend, we can pour up some baits for you to test out. No charge my brother.

BTW- I'm not opposed to HUB's. I've just never used them. My "go to" baits have always served me well. So I've never been inspired to try them out. I've seen a lot of positive and negative feed back on them. Negative ones mostly regarding their durability. But I have zero opinion on them as I have yet to drop one in the water.

#2 Fomen, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,922
    Is there anything you can do to reanimate dead squid? All it needs is 1-5 minutes or less.....

LOL thanks. I’ll check the schedule....Christmas and all......

4. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,922
    12-21-17 SDBay
    Glow Green HUB Performance Update

Well, I zapped my 1/4oz Glow Green and caught 7 bass from 6-12 inches in 30 minutes....Consider that I caught 5 fish in 20 minutes on Monday(4SBB and 1 JM)......

No conclusive WOB detected.....However Tuesday the same Bait was El Skunko(no glow).

More experimentation coming soon....