Gnarly halibut

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Richy_ganja, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Richy_ganja

Richy_ganja Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Name:
    Richy ganja
    Boat:
    Thee shore pounder
    7A3CD47B-DDCA-4279-AC19-25E19A9438C7.jpeg Had a long day of work one day last year me and my pops decided why not go down to the hole and pitch out a few baits while the sunsets enjoy the evening so we get there make some bait getting it done. So we start pitching out baits and were getting on fish multiple bass multiple short halibut 12-22 inch fish ‘ personally i dont kill anything below 24 just cause theres barely any meat ‘ so were getting on fish thinking its a normal day of fishing and them i see pops get a gnarly hit you know its gnarly when the initial hit knocks the slack out of the line and pure tension ‘ hang in there its getting good ‘ The fish sits there and is eating this bait 30 seconds and its slowly moving along the bottom stops , moves again , stops. Pops looks at me i look at him and he knows what time it is he swings for the stars and full contact dead weight oh baby DEAD WEIGHT this thing starts moving slowly its like reeling in a carpet then he wakes up goes on a run like ray signature sign drag peeling non stop runs then pops is walking down the line gets a good 15 yars from me and he sees color i dont and he says MONSTER Personally dont think hes seen a monster yet i start chuckling cause i havent seen it i think its a ray so i walk over he brings up the behemoth and holy hell i see the head on this thing and pure darkness behind it ‘ the water is murky ‘ then i see a tail i estimated mid 30s so we get excited and he says get the gaff and i look where i think the gaff is and there IS NO GAFF its in the truck so i tell pops hey set her down shes tired so he sets the thing down on the edge and its not moving an inch shes getting green again buddy goes for the gaff 5 minutes go by and she still hasnt moved buddy comes with the gaff and im up on the batters mound pops lifts her up she wasnt shy at first she sees a gaff and she dies running she comes back around gaff in the water i go for the swing and i had contact right on her gill plate gaff bounces off like a bullet ricochet SHE GOES RUNNING pops gets spooked he said OMFG i say ok ok this time nice and slow she comes up sees the gaff n runs ok ok this time again nice and slow BAMMMM THRASHING !! Full contact right behind the gill plate i lift this monster out of the water not knowing shes bigger than me and i grab a fist full of gills and shes chomping right in front of my face ‘ we were in waist deep water ‘ so shes not out of the water fully imaging seeing thise teeth right in front of your face chomping trust me you grab even tighter and sure enough she doesnt shake the gaff or my grip we take her to shore lay her out and we start hollering Big gurl measured 40 inches 34 lbs and I believe 5 or 7 ozs I STILL DREAM OF BURTHA TILL THIS DAY cant seem to let her go ! Go follow my instagram. @shorepounders_ent For some awsome catches

• Like Like x 26
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,428
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Hell yeah, what a beast

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Richy_ganja

Richy_ganja Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Name:
    Richy ganja
    Boat:
    Thee shore pounder
    Absolute beast

4. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,093
    Nice. So which one was the gnarly one again?

5. Dionisiooh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +951
    Huge! Nice work!

6. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,232
    Sick, what a haul

7. YNW_FISHY

YNW_FISHY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    insane

8. YNW_FISHY

YNW_FISHY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    that fish probably feeds on beans, perch, small leopard sharks, croakers etc

9. cajunjacket

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +383
    Name:
    Ryan
    Nice fish/story, and welcome to sdfish

10. torykian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +692
    I'm speechless...and envious. Beautiful fish and fantastic recap. GNARLY!

11. Saltnewbie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,201
    Name:
    Brad
    Good to see you here in the forums bro!

12. Shane T.

Shane T. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +378
    Name:
    Shane
    That's getting close to some of the big ones I've pulled in Alaska! Fish of a lifetime from the shore. Congrats, man!