Going offshore for the first time

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by tdmorrison03, Sep 2, 2019.

1. tdmorrison03

tdmorrison03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51
    I’ve been going inshore in Point Loma and La Jolla for a while and I’m thinking about stepping it up a notch. I want to go out to the upper 9 mile bank and try and catch some yellowfin. I have a live well, but it can’t hold a lot of bait. Maybe a scoop at the most. I also have some colts snipers and some irons. So my question is, what would be the best way to find fish out there?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Chrisdlc11827

Chrisdlc11827 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    36 foot tiara
    Find signs, water temp change, bait or birds or if all else fails as bad as it sounds find a group of boats that are set up and get off the edge of them but not to close an don’t be afraid to throw a bunch of chum even if you only have a little don’t be afraid to waist it it’s better to run out of bait while catching fish then to come back to the dock empty handed with a tank full of bait if you have old frozen bait make sure to chunk it up in my opinion they don’t like full dead sardines
    In my experience this year the key has been lots of live chum an if your not getting hit within the first 2 minutes swap your baits don’t use anything that has red dots or is missing scales and before you pick your bait wet your hand an be gentle with it
    Some people are having success with the long soak but personally all mine have been within the first minute of hitting the water
    Make sure to throw chum rite where you cast your bait also hooking behind the belly gets them running really well but they will not be any good for a long soak good luck !

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +641
    wait.... I went saturday with tuna all around and they just held up the middle finger...would not eat bait or lures...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,478
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat: