Goodbye Lake Perris ...for this season

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by crawdadguy, Apr 16, 2019 at 8:27 PM.

1. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +502
    I have been fishing perris almost once a week since November..They have really done a great job rebuilding this lake. They added over 100 rock-piles at different depths, dug out channels and added many types of structure to rebuild that fishery.. including rocks, stacks of pallets, catfish tubes, etc..
    I have fished this lake for about 15 years and many years ago just as I started to score a few big ones they found a problem with the dam. I was heartbroken and watched the lake shrink and many of my favorite spots were high and dry and bushes growing on them..( a no no for dad fishing)
    This actually forced me to find new spots and I found 2 great ones that got me about 20 DD fish in the last five or six years.
    Then the lake repairs were done and the lake began to fill up last year forcing more changes in my fishing...
    after several ninja trips I managed to walk out there during construction and mark over 30 new spots making a map of their work dodging security at times.
    This year the lake was full making it a new lake with more challenges and the fish now have more places to hide.
    I caught a lot of fish with my biggest being 8.75 lbs. along with a smaller 8 and about a dozen and a half
    between 5-7 lb class. I am starting to decipher a couple of key spots from non productive ones. I'm sorry I dont post reports much but I am a weekly contributor to WON so they don't get scooped by reports on here. I don't post many photos as it has been problematic in the past and I usually only put a pic if it is 9lbs plus.
    My season is over there this year...getting too hot too crowded , projects at home , and I also have an ocean skiff that is calling me.
    But the bite is still going on especially on plastics. In my opinion Perris is the lake with the greatest population of fish over 7lbs. in the area. I think it has the greatest potential for a fish over #20 to be taken. It is a good lake...I live near Hodges but I'm willing to take the drive. Give perris a try sometime...it is worth it
    I'll be back in the fall.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. rza007

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +813
    Gotta do something about the carp infestation. I love that lake

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,699
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    Good to hear from a seasoned Perris angler. Tho it gets pretty baking hot out there, its one of the few lakes down here that allows body contact with water so thats a plus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Thanks for the info. Been hearing a lot of thing about Perris maybe next year or the fall I will give it a shot. If anybody else is new to the lake and wants to work together to figure it out let me know maybe we can set up a trip or two.

Steve

5. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +784
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Perris isn’t even close to it’s potential yet. I’ve got other things I’m still working on to round out and recover the fishery. Better things to come if everything works out

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,029
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Is there any "working" going on at SD lakes?

7. BassRygg

BassRygg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +174
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    Well. this is encouraging even though I've been blanked in my 4 trips to Perris since December. I'll keep at it. Your post gives me hope that I can possibly figure it out. Thanks for sharing. Your big fish are probably safe from me...haha

8. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +784
    Boat:
    SR-18
    On the scale of this project...no. Habitat improvements have been and are being done at henshaw, jennings, chollas and morena over the last 7 years.

9. smiler

smiler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Boat:
    Ranger 522 DX
    Thanks for posting.I agree by the way with yours and Queues’ assessment. A friend and I fished there Monday, and he had several chances on the big baits and interestingly on at least one large striper. Considering the lake has only just filled, it was encouraging to say the least.

I was very impressed with all the work done to improve/ add habitat. We’ll see what happens but to the responsible agencies credit, they put in some serious work there.

10. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +733
    How could you improve the habitat @ Morena, that used to be one of the fishiest lakes in SD and still is, if they would just leave the water high

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,825
    Boat:
    I wish
    Great lake with a lot of potential. Can't believe how much different the lake looks compared to last year. I've been a few times in the past few months and it's always a grind out there. Can't seem to figure em out in the rental.

12. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +784
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Brush piles were added in the eastern portion of the lake (not by me, not my region) Unfortunately, SD taking it’s allotment and drought have renderied them marginally useful most of the last 7 years.