Got grubs? Cut them, melt together, wacky rig with a small jig

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by spoonminnow, Jun 10, 2018.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +356
    In spring I found that a small soft plastic stick I pourED has a great action on the drop wacky rigged using a light jig. Being that the lure was so short, a bare hook couldn't achieve the same action as a Senko with its weighted soft plastic.
    GUnA6v0.jpg
    The original lure from the mold was too thin so I dipped in hot plastic to thicken it, which at the time never occurred to me to wacky rig like a Senko - especially with a jighead. When wacky rigged using a 1/32 oz jig, I dropped it into the water and it amazed me how like a Senko it acted as the body and tips wobbled all the way down to the bottom. I decided to give the lure a try last Monday in my pond and man did it catch fish!
    A day later I just happened to be smoking my pipe by the bube tube in my workshop and noticed the shape of a 2" curl tail grub: thicker body tapered toward the tail. A thought popped up: who says sticks have to look like a Senko to get the same action? So, I took took two grubs, cut the curl tails off and melted the thin ends together using a candle flame.
    j2yMQUs.jpg
    Last Fri. the fish were biting all day long so I figured why not try the new design. Again, it caught fish like no tomorrow! Crappie, sunfish and bass clobbered it using two retrieves:
    1. let it drop to the bottom, let sit two seconds and raise it - BHAM!;
    2. let it drop half way to the bottom and twitch it fast with the rod tip making the tips quiver like crazy, let it drop a few inches dead stick and then twitch some more - BHAM! Here's the proof:
    iOhnOL0.jpg Po5tjKe.jpg
    f966r7j.jpg jR1Xv4h.jpg
    A bass caught on the jig & stick mentioned first:
    OGLy6dl.jpg
    Now since these grubs were small it got me thinking - why not use the bodies of 3" grubs with the curl tails cut off?! More meat for the fish to target! Plus, instead of using 1/32, 1/24 jigs, I can use 1/16 or maybe 1/8 oz. I call it my Wacky Barbell Grub. I'll test them tomorrow.
    0vnmXAv.jpg
    I also caught crappie and bass using the lures under a float.
    1wUjnuP.jpg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,681
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Damn... Killing it up north.. looks like a good time to me...

3. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,740
    Have you ever tried to curl tails together with bodys shortened and melted together two tails falling?

4. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,712
    I was thinking the same thing! That would look pretty darn cool with a grub tail on either end of a wacky setup. Either way, spoonminnow your innovation AND success is awesome.

5. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +356
    It might work as long as the jig weight was enough to drop the lure fast enough given the resistance of the curl tails.
    Today I fished the top and bottom barbell sticks and did well catching bass and some big sunfish.
    dyQroJ9.jpg

The top lure also caught bass and panfish, but though the bottom lure had what seemed a nice action at the tips, fish weren't interested.:
    s1biHpq.jpg
    yWqWQog.jpg

This 1 pond catfish gave me a nice fight on the stick:
    5obtoZx.jpg

A few more:
    BJtHAMG.jpg QMpPu2o.jpg

#5 spoonminnow, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  6. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,414
    Name:
    Ray
    That looks very interesting. Thanks for posting.

7. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +356
    We did great yesterday using different soft plastics rigged on various jig weights and size hooks. Bass, crappie and sunfish attacked these lures like it was their last meal (though I don't believe the feeding impulse had anything to do with it.)