Got it done! Otay 7/1

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by jusbayz, Jul 1, 2020.

1. jusbayz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,726
    Boat:
    Cobra Fish n Dive
    Was fortunate(?) to get a few hours on Otay w/ Bro-in-law this morning. 5th boat in line, but pretty easy puttin' in. Immediately ran deep into Otay arm & was greeted by multitudes of busting fish. Pretty exciting for a saltwater guy like myself, especially when bro started to sling the fluke & quickly hit one:
    123951.jpg

Well call me hard-headed, because I went to the lake to heave the frog, exclusively! Never thrown Kermit, but have been building for that technique for a few months now. Took a minute to get used to throwin' the Irod 7-5 heavy ( Curado 200 & 55lb Samurai), but after a few casts was able to establish a fair cadence & had the River 2 Sea Bully Wa 2 walking nicely (The keel-shaped under body really helps!). Slow day overall, didn't see a lot goin' on (save for the Bluegill guys pickin' the Tullie edges). But I left the lake super-stoked, danced the frog well enough to tango with nice 19" model:
    123951(1).jpg
    DS'd for a couple of rats later in Harvey's. But wouldn't have mattered, I scratched the frog itch (always nice when a plan comes together & pays!) & who knows, I may become a green bass guy yet!

2. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,492
    way to go on the frog bite. you have to be committed to the frog and it sounds like you where.
    nicely done

3. jusbayz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,726
    Boat:
    Cobra Fish n Dive
    Thanks d. Always a little skittish about learning new freshie methods (donated tons of gear to 'Cap & Otay just learning to DS, lol). But who doesn't get excited when reading reports from guys like Otay Micheal or JJbasser! Nothing like anticipating a blow up as your frog makes its way through & around all that FLW-like cover! Excited to get it down..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,080
    Boat:
    Yes
    I grew up on on the East coast and fished saltwater from toddler to young adult. Changing over to freshwater bass fishing has been a lot of fun and trial and error. Love the frog and throw it almost year round. Congrats on getting your 1st bass on the frog. I have been very slowly attempting to learn the D/S as everyone has convinced me it works. A new/different technique is always challenging, but pays off with persistence and some advice from others.I need to get back down to Otay one of these Wednesdays, been over a year since I've been down there. Thanks for sharing the report and pics!

5. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,681
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    great report !!! thanks

6. carlsbadspotty89

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,803
    I was there from 11-6 and we were getting bit on the frog all day in otay arm. With the water dropping, they’re moving to the frontside of the tullies and I think it’s only gonna get better.
    F211E880-53DB-4E0F-8E11-15F3DF432FC7.jpeg

7. BassHound

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +240
    Good choice and nice fish. The frog bite has to be one of the best ( if not the best ) ways to catch bass.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,681
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Nice!!!

9. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,013
    Good job. It's always exciting to get a bite figured out, a 'reel' feeling of accomplishment. I've got a friend I'm teaching, nothing yet landed from the back seat in four or five trips with me now, but he's dedicated. Figured a trip to the Delta and Clear Lake next week might break his curse.