Great Lakes fisherman looking for some info

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by T.C., Jan 30, 2016.

1. T.C.

T.C. Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi everyone - first off, this is a great site and forum. Kudos to everyone involved.
    I am an avid fisherman from the shores of Lake Erie. Heading to San Diego for first time ever. Fished Atlantic quite a bit - first time fishing west coast - would like to bring some gear and give it a shot. Most free time will likely be in evening / after dark. Will be staying near downtown what looks to be near the Midway museum. Open to fishing for anything but enjoy tossing baits and good battles...

2. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,512
    8-10lb set up, 3" plastics. Cast away ;)
    Fish right there at the midway while it's still legal.

3. Cyborgstarfish

Cyborgstarfish Catcherman
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,735
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    Make sure to slow roll it on the bottom cause the baybass are pinned on the bottom

4. T.C.

T.C. Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks fellas - are there quite a few places your not allowed to fish? I have seen some posts about signs being posted - I gather that as long as there are no signs I should be ok? Also - is it worth taking a drive anywhere for some night fishing - pier or beach or whatever. Any place where there are some nice cuda or chance at stripped bass?

5. Cyborgstarfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,735
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    Look for points at night

6. stoned-trout

stoned-trout If it smells like fish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,254
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    don't hold your breath waiting for a striper....they are rare here.. I miss them as I used to catch a lot on the east coast..i miss mean bluefish too

7. T.C.

T.C. Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Ahh yes - the bluefish - like a rabid pit bull that swims. Fun to catch for sure. Thanks for your help! It will certainly be nice to cast period - cant get out on the lakes now due to ice. And Musky season closed...

8. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,512
    Night fishing in the winter is normally great. So far, it's been on the slowish side. Still hoping for a turnaround.

9. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,671
    Boat:
    Tube
    As said above arm yourself with some 3in. swim baits and some 1/4-3/th oz. lead heads and get to work. Occasionally you may want to fish weedless styles to prevent headaches when the tides are lower or the area of choice has higher growth in thick patches. Traditional Texas rigging as well as weedless lead heads will suffice. Try to focus on areas with some cover (Docks, pilings, boat slips) and whatever else you can find. The hidden underwater cover is basically weeds/grass, rock and submerged stuff from years past.

Stay mobile and sniff em out. They are a more lethargic fish when it comes to moving from area to area so if you find a consistent bite keep coming back but on the flip side don't be afraid to move. Very rarely do you have to thoroughly work a spot for a bite. Either they are around and eating or they aren't there. Its almost like target shooting, put it in the zone and it all comes together. Generally the right bait in the right zone will get bit or at least struck. Spotted bay bass are notorious for quick strikes resulting in no hooks and from my experiences rarely do the same bass strike again like their freshwater counter parts.

Eventually if you would like to branch out and try new baits, spinner baits, crank/jerk baits and many other traditional freshwater lures work great to. I myself prefer spinner baits, umbrella rigs and jigs when not hucking straight plastic. When fishing plastics do not be surprised to wind in a few Barracuda, Bonito, Corvina or other assorted game fish. Almost everything eats plastic if you can get through the Bass. From shore I have done very well for Bass and I accredit most of that to homework and time on the water. Welcome to the site and do not hesitate to ask questions and learn.

10. Cyborgstarfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,735
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    Don't forget halibut. And just curious does he have to buy a California fishing license?

11. T.C.

T.C. Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Funny you guys mentioned that - I was getting a little confused as to some places mentioning you don't need a license and some you do?!? Is it only on the piers you do not need a license? Doing some research I think I will be sticking to tossing lures but have some interest in maybe catching a Leopard Shark - seems like a fun battle. Anywhere specific for a good shot at one of those? Also, are there any twilight trips that go out for a few hours?

12. Cyborgstarfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,735
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    I've caught most my leopards closer to night time and look for shallow mud/sand structure in channels or points. I don't know where to catch leopards where you don't need a license.
    Ps most people won't give away exact spots on here

13. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,512
    Ski Beach, De Anza Cove, northeast side of Fiesta Island, and Bahia Pt. are all good places to target leopard sharks. There are some nice ones in SD Bay but you need to be on a boat to target them.
    Fresh bloody mackerel will be your best bet, rising tide, new or full moon between March-May for absolute best opportunity IMO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Cyborgstarfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,735
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    Except Dj is an exception ;)

15. T.C.

T.C. Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Lol - I appreciate the sharing fellow fishermen! Looking forward to it. I think I will just get my license for the the week to be safe! It has been fun doing the research - you have quite a fishery out there - fresh and salt! Is there a "San Diego Bay Grand Slam"? i.e. the keys have the tarpon, permit, bonefish

16. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,512
    I don't mind sharing some stuff, I won't reveal certain areas for certain fish but since I don't target Leo's, there ya go ;)

17. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,459
    A bit northwest of the Midway is Shelter Island pier - try that at night - I don't think you need a license either - but you probably won't get a leopard shark. No one else suggested that? Am I missing something?

18. Cyborgstarfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,735
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    Use heavier pound test mono because "leopard sharks" are sharks, and sharks have teeth.:D

19. Hirame

Hirame BUTTHEAD
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,382
    I used to get lots of leos at embarcadero pier. but haven't fished there in years so not a sure bet. hard to fish there when there is a big tide swing

20. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +665
    Don't talk about musky cuz I'm getting jelous. Night fishing is great in the bay for using bait. I don't catch more than some bass and other critters. Halibut are the only thing in the bay I would put in the class of fighting a musky. Choivis and big spoons is the only thing I've caught then on. I got smalls by the midway on swimbaits but a skiff during the evening is the best way to go. Send me a pm and I'll shoot u some spots