Great white in Oside

Discussion in 'Private boaters and general saltwater' started by Gizmo719, May 11, 2017.

1. Gizmo719

Gizmo719 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251
    Well with the recent shark attack at churches and the beach now closed, this in no suprise.

A co worker went of fishing early Wednesday 5/10 morning and captured this video outside the Oceanside harbor.

#1 Gizmo719, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • List
  2. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,190
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    "Facebook post no longer available."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Gizmo719

Ratings:
    +251
    Its working now

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,272
    Likes like there are two fins in the water - unless that was the tail? But it seemed not to be following the dorsal fin.

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,761
    Boat:
    3 too many
    What? No rush to break out the 9/0? Hahaha

6. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,190
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    9/0? That's one huge reel!

7. Gizmo719

Ratings:
    +251
    Big fish require big hardware lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,190
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Yeah they're protected, as well as the dogs, so I'll happily let them control the population since we can't.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Tadyhawk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +915
    Name:
    Romel
    "accidental hookup" Lol. it's illegal to target them though.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,761
    Boat:
    3 too many
    100 percent illegal to target. . lol.. Very tongue in cheek on my part.. Likely not so legal to use whale parts for bait either... Lol

11. Gizmo719

Ratings:
    +251
    Yeah, Accidental. " I was targeting thrashers, it must have been the chum bucket" I took a picture and released it. I love watching them as well, this it the 15th or 16th time of heard of a report of them in there area. And currently the sharking has been great anyway

12. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,190
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Fillet and release.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. SurfingFishOside

SurfingFishOside Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189
    Name:
    Nick K.
    Ya, these waters are way over protected. On a surf forum I frequent someone made a great point. Up north and in other areas when they have hog or deer problems they will go out and kill 300-400 or more of them and no one will bat an eye. Meanwhile we dont allow our waters to be fished, wish allows sharks to lives 10-15 years and grow into mega beast with zero fear of humans. We have had 3 breaches caught on camera with 50 yards of surfers. I recently saw a huge beast in the lineup as I was getting out. The chick up north that got chomped. Plus over protected places where people are getting chomped left and right (REUNION ISLAND). Then the tree huggers so "oh its they're ocean, its your fault if you get bit"...BS...Humans are THE apex predator, and at no point should a shark's life be more important than a humans. Sorry...I am not even talking about fishing at this point. But I believe we should have quotas for great whites and seals and be allowed a hunting season.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. SurfingFishOside

Ratings:
    +189
    Name:
    Nick K.
    Seriously though. I am 30, I have been surfing for 25 years, never have I seen this much activity with the sharks. Some of the older dudes who have been surfing up and down the coast for years say they haven't see it this sharky either. The eco-system is out of balance. I am not saying we need to kill everything in the ocean. I am saying we should regulate and allow hunting of species that are not at all endangered. If you can live 15 years and grow to be a giant with no fear of humans or boats....your not endangered. (sorry for my horrendous spelling)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,272
    Is it out of balance? or is this the norm over a long period of time vs. the time the older surfers were here.

There have been sharking sighting reports for a while at this site: Pacific Coast Shark News

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. SurfingFishOside

Ratings:
    +189
    Name:
    Nick K.
    Here is a good informative link
    2017 Shark Attack Bites Map

In my opinion, and from what research I have done. In a lot of area's we have a mega imbalance. La Jolla has that Childrens Beach that the seals took over (not far from where Bob the triathlete guy got chomped in half). Then Swamis completely outlawed spearfishing and fishing, put a mask on and go snorkel the channel, I am talking about 5-6 foot sharks all over (not the aggressive ones, but still very well fed). Then check out Trestles, once again protected, can't fish it, mega seals=mega sharks. Like I said 3 breaches within a week. Then we can look at Reunion Island, a very small island, best waves in the world as far as someone wanting to become a competitive surfer, they have actually outlawed water sports because the bull sharks are mega aggresive. Surfers are not leaving the island to go surf somewhere safe. Last week, a guy on the shark watch died while bodyboarding after being chomped, his friend died from a shark a few months ago, a young up and coming surfing Enzo died while his dad watched from the beach. Hunting sharks in Reunion is illegal, they have literally put Sharks over Humans. I have quite a few more cases I could speak of. Southern California is working on doing the same thing. The only difference is we have more people to get chomped. In the midwest if a hog runs into traffic or a pack of hogs runs through your farm or whatever then they go out and kill everything.....but god forbid we kill a fish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,158
    Rod and reel fishing was allowed at Swami last year. Did a rule change?

18. SurfingFishOside

Ratings:
    +189
    Name:
    Nick K.
    Last time we where they to spearfish we had to take out the rule book and show it to the lifeguard.....but yes you are right you can rod and reel fish there. It's just weird how they decide what you can take with a spear...cause spearfishing is alot of work...

But yes, I believe you are right, rod and reel fishing is OK from the beach...but there is alot of reef structure hence why we always (used to) spearfish. But it seems to be a grey area as to what you can target/catch/keep.

Swami’s State Marine Conservation Area (SMCA) is a marine protected area that extends offshore of Encinitas in San Diego County on California’s south coast. The SMCA covers 12.65 square miles. The SMCA protects marine life by limiting the removal of marine wildlife from within its borders.

Swami’s SMCA prohibits take of all living marine resources except: recreational take by hook-and-line from shore is allowed; and recreational take of pelagic finfish, including Pacific bonito, and white seabass by spearfishing is allowed.

19. SurfingFishOside

Ratings:
    +189
    Name:
    Nick K.
    Controversy over the Swami's SMCA stemmed from a long sustainable fishing history going back to the Cardiff Dorymen who launched small wooden boats from the Cardiff Reef and Noonan's Point (now call Swami's) beaches. The protest of local divers and fisherman emerged from the South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group creating the marine protected area (MPA) with little scientific justification. The Swami's SMCA created an ocean fishing closure to all species while no local species indigenous to the MPA could be identified as threatened.

The south coast marine protected areas went into effect in 2012. No signage was posted for 2 years from effective date on the Northern or Southern borders to create a clear border of the Swami's SMCA.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. SurfingFishOside

Ratings:
    +189
    Name:
    Nick K.
    This sums it up....Swami’s SMCA protects marine life within its boundaries. The take of all living marine resources is prohibited except…..However, California’s marine protected areas encourage recreational and educational uses of the ocean.[2] Activities such as kayaking, diving, snorkeling, and swimming are allowed unless otherwise restricted.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List