Grocery strike again?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Meezer_Man, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    SAN DIEGO Members of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union will vote Monday on whether to authorize a strike at Albertsons, Vons and Ralphs stores in Southern California.

Grocery store workers say the companies are stalling on negotiations and won’t meet their demands. Members want higher raises and full health benefits for part-time workers, according to the union’s local president.

The strike vote will include 60,000 UFCW Local 135 workers all over Southern California, from Bakersfield to the U.S.-Mexico border.

Results of the vote will be announced Tuesday. =^..^=

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,379
    I've heard mixed feelings on this one. I know a few people who have friends at vons, and it has for a while now sounded like hours have been a problem as well. Like 8-16 a week. Working in a non-union shop I am guaranteed 40+, but man do I already feel underpaid compared to what the union folks do. Either way, more power to them if they do. I can always scab and get some extra money, and my employer will see increased sales lol

3. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    There are many grocery stores in Escondido to choose from. The prices are high at Vons. Last time some union worker was trying to let the air out of my tires in a Vons shopping center =^..^=

4. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Sorry, monopolistic extortion is not gonna work without actual monopolistic position - true for companies, true for any king of trade-unions which are becoming things from the past. We very rarely shop at any of the mentioned stores and if the unions go for a strike, they will further push away many of their present customers. The whole story is just to make-believe the high salaries of the union bosses based on the membership fees are somehow justified.

5. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +723
    They should strike, every time in Albertsons there's never a bagger, they have the very minimum lines open , those people are getting screwed. If you don't buy things on sale, I don't see how you could live here if you pay full price . 5.99 for pickles I buy at Walmart 2.18
    Salad dressings etc though the roof. They always have to strike for anything of a raise. They sure don't freeze there prices.when employers break union and no longer pay medical benefits, and a livable wages . taxes go up,and corporations profit. the government pays for sick families and section 8 housing.
    if there good enough to profit from there good enough to pay to livable wage in a dwelling not on the street.

#5 fishnfreak, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,892
    If they're not getting paid what they think they are worth they could quit and find a better place of employment. Why work for someone that is using you? Unless you have a cushy job that you don't want to lose but want to make money like those that work there @$!# into the dirt why wouldn't you quit and take your excellent work ethic and skills and get a real job or start a bussiness like I did?
    PS why do you complain about high prices at unionized store vs the non unionized but then call for a strike. You don't think paying unskilled employees the rate they pay college graduates because of union demands is not the cause of inflated grocery prices?

#6 Medicated fisherman, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +723
    Medicated fisherman,
    I agree with you in principle, there is just to much money staying at the top.
    All I can link to the standard of living is unions, once they were broke the the jobs outsourced the work and the standard of living and medical declined.
    The remaining unions , schools, city workers ,police ,fire.all do better, the medical workers alot are union.
    Years ago the boss drove a Lincoln and lived in mt. Helix , now they own islands, and have planes, because there work force in Mexico live in proverty , I'm not smart enough to fix this , but gread sure went thru the roof.
    I'm not a grocery worker, but it was in the past it was a career that would buy your family a home.
    I'm retired and very comfortable, I just would like the same for the hard working younger people as well. Not a gift , hard work and saving for investments, but today's wages don't give the extra for investments. Over time that is what hurts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,892
    However times have changed. At one time most homes only had one income. Things were cheaper then. Once we normalized a 2 income household more employees and higher household incomes basiclly destroyed the ability to provide a livable wage with a single non skilled job per household. Point is we know unskilled jobs don't pay a livable wage why would anyone pick that as a career path? If a industry is not paying enough to live on, then people seeking a liveable ought not apply to work in that industry. Guess what the industry will either die off or pay more as you can't outsource a checker or stock boy. There is no reason to strike. Just leave the industry and find something else untill they have to raise wages to procure enough employees to operate. However if people are applying for the job at a lower rate the pay is never going to rise. Just like crab fisherman in Alaska. Not many people can handle that job let alone be good at it so the pay is exceptionally high. Dr's require a ton of education also pays extremely well. Now scanning groceries and putting them in a bag most anyone can do. It is not that uncomfortable and not that difficult therefore it pays less. Skill required, danger levels, amount of physical discomfort all play a role in how much a job will pay.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +723
    Not everyone gets a trophy, people are not all the same. Some could go to school tell hell freezes over and there not going to get it. And not everyone can be a doctor, lawyer etc. Simply not smart enough. Not everyone is 7' tall either.
    I have family that are very educated , some can't open a can of pork and beans. If they had common sense to go together ,that's the ideal circumstance
    More technical the job more the pay increases, many business owners that are very successful don't have degrees but there smart, nobody knows everything, the key is if you don't know, find someone that does and pay them well, build a strong team, together we all do well.
    Going to college is very expensive, and takes a life time to repay.
    Taking moneys out of the economy for purchases, me having millions in the bank isn't going to help the economy I can only spend so much.
    Student loans are second in consumer debt surpassed by mortgages, and unable to default on if you don't pay them off before retirement there's witholding on social security payments, because it's a federal loan.
    The lesson is don't get a degree in something that you can't make money doing..
    I wish everyone well on the journey of life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,379
    Well, I suppose I'll put in my two cents as someone who's profession, at least currently, is grocery based retail...

It is still entirely possible to support a household on a single income working in a grocery store. I should know, I've been doing it for the last three years, and the 7 before that rendered my wife's paychecks as pure savings in the bank (didn't start accumulating debt at all until the kid was born).

There are a few keys to grocery being a viable job option.
    - 1: Do not work front end/customer service (baggers/cashiers/service desk) These are the dolts who get to sit around and tap at a screen all day. They are also at the very bottom of pretty much any pay scale imaginable. These positions don't lend themselves to a livable wage, and tend to be probably the most mentally taxing, since human contact is the job. And people shopping in grocery stores, I can and will say, have a horrible reputation in the back rooms.

- 2: Do not work in a union shop. Union shops base most things on seniority. Like promotions, hour distribution, and pay scales. Add in union dues and schedules that are never going to be guaranteed, you simply cannot depend on a stable pay check.

- 3: Do not walk in thinking the job is gonna be a breeze. Turn over rates are high in floor departments because you are expected to be booking it across the store at all times. Not everyone can handle it. And some of the ones that do can be very surprising (unless you are a former Marine. Marines who have entered civilian life have proven to be just about the absolute best at doing a regimented job they hate.) Work quotas exist, and are for the most part rigidly enforced.

- 4: DO get promoted. This is where the money is. If you can prove you can put up with the idiocy of the job, and can effectively get things done, management is where it is at. One of my core (store-level) managers is like me. Not even a high school diploma. Pulls in $22.50hr, been in the business 6 years. I've run teams in three different departments, and if not for angering a very influential store director a few years ago, I could probably turn that into at least an assistant store manager slot easily by now myself.

- 5: DO walk in with at least the expectation of doing your best. And know that at the end of the day that is all that is expected. Expectations are high because the standards customers hold the industry to are very high. Appearance and first impression are a *huge* part of any sales based business, and grocery stores are no different. The ability to execute on exacting expectations translates into pure money in the pocket in the end of the day.

- 6: Just because it is menial/boring/tedious work does not necessarily make it unskilled. I've had to over the course of my career basically memorize and recall on demand the location of something like 12,000 products, and a list of about 500 PLU codes. Ordering takes trained intimate knowledge of sales patterns that can go back years in order to do correctly. These may not seem like skills to most, but when it comes to the business of selling groceries, they are indispensable.

- 7: At the end of the day, the business of selling groceries can be very fun and dare I say, rewarding. Working overnights as I do (which, mind you, is where the cash money really is. Speed is all management cares about when it comes to getting a store put back together), I've built some pretty damn tight bonds with my co-workers over the years. The joke goes that we see eachother more than our families, and in many cases we really do. No secrets, no hate, nothing. The tomfoolery that goes on behind the scenes can blow the mind. And none of it is either appropriate for work settings, the sales floor, or polite society. And never shows on the sales floor.
    People hate shopping. Have to do it even if they are having some really just ****ty days. Even for someone like me who tends to prefer avoiding human contact, it can be very pleasing to brighten someone's day, even if only a small amount for a small amount of time. There is more to work than just taking home a paycheck

Holy shzballs. Long winded. Probably off track. But makes the point I'm going for. Its a job. It does require people who know what they are doing. The upper echelons have been doing it for 30+ years, and are payed better than doctors for it. We're the ones who make sure you even have a place to purchase your last-second holiday needs, or your daily snack. Its a valid field to stick around in, even if it is constantly derided. My daughter's first job will be as a bagger at a local grocer. She will learn the suck of the job, as baggers are the absolute lowest of the low. If she enjoys it, I can honestly say I'd be happy to see her make a career of it. If not, it does serve as a great backup plan.

11. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,261
    Name:
    Larry M
    Just my 2 cents.
    I believe that most people working as checkers are part of a household where the other spouse also works.
    If your a single parent I can see wanting more money, who doesn’t. When your on strike your not being paid. How long will it take to make up the lost money?
    Guess what, your union dues will go up in portion to the raise.
    If you want a better paying job take a ROP class and learn how to do something that pays better. You can even do it on line instead of watching reality shows.
    That person standing on the corner holding up a sign could learn to be a checker in 10 minutes or less.
    Now before you jump all over me I only have a 11th grade education but have done very well with that.
    I did go to 3 years of state mandated city college for the apprenticeship program but I don't consider myself as a college educated person because all they taught us was the theory behind what we were doing everyday on the job.
    I'm not anti union, I've been a member of IBEW for about 45 years. And I have used them in the past.
    More and more places are going with self check out, read the hand writing on the wall people and start improving your skills in another field so that when the day arrives that they don't need you anymore you can move on sooner or later.
    Always try to improve yourself, if you want something better but in a little effort and go for it.
    I'll use my daughter as an example, GED only, had a decent job pay wise but terrible working conditions. She has been submitting resumes for about 6 months, just got hired yesterday with the state of Montana health department.
    If you want to better yourself just try to help yourself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,892
    People with a lot of money spend more. If you don't think it is possible to spend millions why do the large percentage of lotto winners end up bankrupt within 10 years of winning the lotto. They seem to find a way to spend the money. I have family that are very wealthy and they spend money. Lots of it. They always have the trendy cars well into the $100,000 dollar range. They own multiple properties they spent money on. They own boats and one owns a gulfstream. They travel all the time using chartered private jets. They have actual staff at there homes. They spend a lot of money. They employ alot of people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +723
    first lotto winners dont earn the money therefore spend it like a fool. in those cases, stupid is stupid.cant fix that.
    your rich family spends more then Warren Buffett , he's lived in the same home in omaha for years, eats mc donalds.
    doesn't own a plane or yacht. has a american made car. so the statement doesn't hold water, so i presume there richer them him, most rich get rich saving and investing watching there money , (YOU CANT SPEND IT AND HAVE IT BOTH) Most spend money on things that are tax deductable, rentals in Hawaii etc. take a vacation . uncle sam pays the bill. stupid people and the money part ways quickly, get talked into things they know nothing about.

14. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,892
    I worked for someone for years. Got sick of it and started my own business based on skills I learned growing up in the family business. Now my company is buying out my family's business. If you are unhappy never settle. Your daughter gets it.