Hand Pours

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by BfishK, Oct 27, 2009.

1. BfishK

BfishK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My love for bass fishing grew this year. After spending hours online looking at molds, colors, and reading forums on hand pouring plastics i decided to spend some cash and give it a try. It might save money in the long run but...... i don't know :) Ha. It is fun to come up with colors/ color combinations. So far I've stuck with colors that I know work at certain lakes, and then changed em up a bit. Let me tell you it is very rewarding catching a fish on something you've made yourself!
    Anyone else on this site pour?
    And feel free to give feedback on the colors.
    GEDC3179.jpg
    UPPERSbullblood5.jpg
    GEDC3176.jpg
    024.jpg
    023.jpg
    So far all these colors have caught fish at different lakes!

Attached Files:

2. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    Now here is a challenge for you? Yes, I have poured my own baits. Del Mart Molds are great, but they are costly. You can make your own molds using clay and some plaster.

Get some little bread pans that you can throw away after you make the mold. Use the clay to form whatever you wish. I've made lizards, worms, grubs, swimbaits, and others.

Did you by the melting pot or the little pouring pans? I have two of the melting pans, and two hot plates that I use. I haven't had the time to pour my own baits in a long time, but man it is fun to catch fish on your own creations. Keep up the good work.

3. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    I've been pouring baits for a while an it's so addicting. I have bought some molds but also make my own using RTV instead of plaster. Experimenting with colors is so much fun. I love the Oxblood and the last pic on the bottom looks really cool. Nice work. Keep posting.

mick

4. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    I'm sure RTV is much better to work with than the plaster. The plaster is so messy.

One warning about melting down plastics from Kalins, they have a very low flash over temp. I was melting some white grub tails and within 2 minutes there were flames in the pot. That was not fun, I have not experienced that with any of the plastic that I have purchased.

What sites have you looked at for molds?

5. dan_gler

dan_gler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    It's somthing I've always wanted to get into but I have to wait until I get my own place so the roomies can't complain about the smell or taking up space.

Those colors look good.

6. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    Lurecraft has the best selection of molds but the pictures on the website are terrible. Order the catalog and you'll get a better idea. Barlows and Zeiners have molds too. Zeiner's plastic is good stuff and I had good luck with it.

Dan_gler,

I did my first pour in the house. I stunk up the microwave pretty good. Needless to say my wife wasn't happy. So I went to Target and bought a Sunbeam microwave on sale for 29 bucks. I don't know how they can make a microwave for 29 bucks but it works great. It's in the garage and I'm out of the doghouse.

mick

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey BfishK, nice look'n plastics and great choice of colors!! Looks like Murray in the second pic. That Oxblood rd/flk color is kick ***!! How much per bag??

8. BfishK

BfishK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do those lurecraft molds hold up?
    Your talking about the plastic ones right?
    I've checked them out a few times and thought about ordering them but just couldn't imagine how pouring hot plastic into a plastic mold would work. I mean I know it works but long could the molds possibly last????

9. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    I just bought a 5.75" and a 6.5" fluke and a squid mold from lurecraft. They were RTV silicone so they hold up perfect. I don't know why they call them plastic. I also have some plastic grub molds from Zeiners. They work fine. The melting point of the plastisol is well below the melting point of the plastic mold.

Go to the lurecraft site and order a catalog. The pictures in the catalog are much better than the website.

mick

10. BfishK

BfishK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mick, do the fluke molds have a hook slot?
    I will be ordering some molds from lurecraft soon i'm almost outta plastic and could use some different glitter colors.... then again it seems like once you get into pouring you could always use something new. What platic do you use? Right now i'm using the softest but will probably switch to medium so the baits don't tear so easily.

11. fishinkid2010

fishinkid2010 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Does anybody know where I can buy some RTV plastic and the catalyst locally? I've experimented with using plaster from the mold, but every swimbait I made came out with a chalky white finish on it. I'd really like to try doing it with the right kind of mold.

12. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    Mick may have the answer for you, but when using the plaster you need to finish the molds with a sealer. I forget the name of the stuff I bought, but I got it from Michaels. The baits I make from those plaster molds now have a smooth texture.

All the places that Mick suggested have great molds I have about 10 different molds. Again Delmart Molds has great molds but they can be costly.
    http://www.del-mart.com/

13. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    BfishK

Yes it has a hookset. I live in the east county. If you want to come by and see it let me know. I have all 3 plastics. The supersoft is great for small baits. I like the regular for a wide range of baits and the saltwater is great for really big stuff. The only thing about the saltwater plastic is you have to watch the heat. It will discolor if you get it too hot.

fishinkid2010

You can get the rtv from aeromarine products. It's off Morena Blvd on Napier. It's a small business but the guy is really nice. You need to call ahead and they'll have your order on will call. Beware, RTV is expensive. His 125 product is a 1:1 mix and easy to use and the 128 is good stuff if you have a scale to measure the 10:1 ratio.

http://www.jgreer.com/

Jimmy,

I didn't know you like to pour. You're welcome to come by the house and pour. I lost 3 tackle boxes of stuff in the boat accident. One 370 box full of 4.5" grubs, a 370 box stuffed with 3.5" grubs and one with small swimbaits. I have to get busy and restock. I have plenty of plastic, glitter and colors. Give me a call when you are ready.

mick

14. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    Sounds good Mick, I'll see if I can find my molds and stuff and give you a call.

15. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    l have molds for 3.5 and 4.5 inch grubs. Swimbaits from 3" up to 5", squid, lizard, and 5.75" and 6.5" fluke. My next mold will be a slug and also a 5" or 6" grub. That means I'll be mixing up the blue goo (RTV) and having some fun.

mick

16. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    Dude those are some nice variations in molds. I'm going to have to check out that RTV stuff.

17. bassman22

bassman22 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    that 3rd worm pic is sick. i make my own jigs and thats a blast love making really funky colors. my favorite is what i call the "kitchen sink" and has every color i have tied in it.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    3rd pic down is the rodriguez worm........

19. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40
    I have messed with plaster molds a little. Brush them with Smelly Jelly or other oily scent. It will act as a releaser and scent in one. That should keep the plaster residue off your plastic.

And I have had luck on the BfishK "Throw Luck" worms. Nice work as always.

20. BfishK

BfishK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    didn't know you caught one on em! Where at?