Hard Soft Plastic

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by carpkiller, Feb 16, 2019.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    Hi all,

Looking at another production run of ScorcherZ, and I have an idea I have for a different shaped lure that will have a slow glide to the bottom, but its wings need a little stiffness. So....

Need a plastisol that won't be as likely to be shredded by toothy critters.

Barlow's carries MF plastics Extra Hard saltwater formula.

Seeing several sources for other brands.

X-Sol-507 is supposed to be hard for saltwater apps. and it's on Amazon.

and I see other brands from other suppliers.

What I want is a really durable plastic, and I'm leaning toward the X-Sol (it's like 30% less money). Anyone have experience with that brand, good or bad? $50/gallon.

Or do you have a source for a durable goo that costs less? I don't wanna dork around with hardener.

Thanks in advance.
    Rob

2. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +924
    https://www.pouryourownworms.com/main.sc
    M-F Mfg. sells good plastic in different hardnesses. Not sure how it would compare to X-Sol-507.
    I was surprised how cheap Fusion X Fishing molds were on Amazon.

Hardener sucks! Better to just use harder plastic.

3. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    Found a company called baitplastics, with gallons selling for $32.95 free shipping on ebay. I ordered a gallon of supertough formula, easier than cadging some from a friend.
    For 29.95 they have a sampler with 8 ounces of 6 different formulas from "super soft" to "super tough."

I woulda gone for the 55-gallon drum for $645...but the shipping's not free.

CK

4. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,640
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Plastisol is made up of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), dioctyl phthalate, plus a few other ingredients including heat stabilizers. The more PVC you add to the formula the harder the plastic. If what they sell as hardener is a high concentration of powdered PVC in suspension that could be added to regular plastisol to make it harder but also easier to burn and much harder to pour. For dipping tubes you don’t have to pour it. Just saying.

5. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    What do YOU know about plastic?

But seriously, I just want it tough so the spotties don't shred it. Hoping this stuff get thin enough (viscosity-wise) enough to dip a thin-wall tube.

6. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,640
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Hopefully the extra hard plastisol you ordered will do the trick. Good luck with your project.

7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    20190228_183429.jpg
    Only took a couple days to get here from MO. Free sample of a fluorescent red color. And a free sticker!

8. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +924
    I've used Bait Plastic - good for the money.

9. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    Yep. Finally got around to using the stuff and it works as advertised. Next time i might go one click softer..the super tough truly is. For tube baits it's great but I want to pour some SIG grubs which will need a little more wiggle.
    The free sample of 'red' wasn't great. It didn't darken up enough and the finished result was...dark pink. Except when I overcooked one batch which ended up sorta tomato colored (below). Caught a few spotted bay bass on the tomato tube. Haven't tried the pink yet.

20190917_083817.jpg

#9 carpkiller, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  10. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,640
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Just throwing this out there to see if it sticks.....have you ever searched for colored thin wall vinyl tubing to use as the base and then dip in plastisol. Sevenstrand used to make a lure called. The Clout that was pretty tough. It was designed around a thin wall vinyl tube with two curl tails. It could be rigged with a leadhead or with a threaded insert, a screw on chrome hex head to make it a trolling lure.

65F5A2D7-62D8-4562-A667-25C1F77E0D21.jpeg

11. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    No...just no.
    No more rabbit holes...too many variations just making different colors, layered, rat-tails....
    I meant, no thank you.

20190920_092442[1].jpg

I suspect the fan's not preventing the inhalation of some fumes....otherwise, how do you explain the clear-with-green ribs tube in the middle of this shot?

20190920_142855[1].jpg

20190920_142855[1].jpg

#11 carpkiller, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  12. Tom_74

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +802
    Just curious if you are shooting this tubes, or are you hand dipping. Either way that's a lot of baits. I have Baitplastics saltwater blend which I think is 1 level down on hardness from what you have. So far I'm really happy with Baitplastics, I first went through a couple gallons of Do-It-Essential plastisol and that stuff is garbage. Burns really easy, hard to get bubbles out, even with a vacuum chamber, and had lots of hard packing.

Finally what are you rigging the tubes on? You buying or pouring lead?

13. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    I am dipping different diameter tent pegs and aluminum rod.

20190921_203257[1].jpg

Heads? Using your basic Do-It Ultra Minnow (like the HookUp baits have inside). I already had a Diner Shiner mold when I started, but those heads aren't well-suited to tube baits. Originally I just wanted a cheaper alternative to the HUBs, but it morphed into making longer baits. The rat-tailed versions are dead sexy to me, but the fish don't seem to care about the overall shape.

180204 rattail ScorcherZ chartreuse and clear tail.jpg

And yeah, I have made enough tubes to last a couple of lifetimes. Fiddling around with colors and once it's dialed in, might as well keep dipping because every subsequent re-heat means the colors get darker (or less transparent) and the plastic stiffer.

#13 carpkiller, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  14. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    Holland Specials. Not available in stores... 20190924_181452.jpg
    (Holland, MI is where the LifeSaver factory was until the Canadians stole our jobs. Be a hoot if I get a fish with one of these....Butter Rum and Five Flavors ScorcherZ....)

#14 carpkiller, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List