Hate to bother you guys again but.......

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Dirk Diggler, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +122
    I'm addicted. A year ago I had never set foot on a sport boat, in fact, never even fished in saltwater. Now one year later here I sit with 2 trips under my belt and craving another. My last fix was just a couple weeks ago and only a 1.5 day. Probably normal stuff for you guys BUT I live in Canada, pretty much the middle of Canada and a looong ways from San Diego. I flew down there and back for one day of fishing. It was fabulous. I am not a wealthy man by any stretch but I'm spending every penny I can beg, borrow, steal on this "hobby". If my dear wife had any clue what I have spent on tackle and assorted gear alone in the past 12 months she'd freak! Just a hobby I tell her but it dominates my thoughts at work everyday and I sit in my man cave watching YouTube vids of WOB tuna foamers while fondling my new Phantom 2 speed everynight. Phew! Glad I got all that off my chest. Now the important part....

I am about to book a 3.5 day for late July. The timing cannot be changed. I have two options...The Constitution or Sea Adventure 80. I have no interest in huge tuna and would be more than happy just paddy hopping for 3 days if that makes any difference. You local guys have been such a huge help for this newb in the past so what say you now? Constitution or SA 80?

Thanks in advance.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,446
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Constitution, all the way

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,766
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Hear good things about the sea adventure 80. but have not heard it raved about as much as I have heard folks rave about the constitution.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +643
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I have fished them both
    Constipation....
    Get those fish holds plugged up!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    Wow, your fishing addiction sounds eerily similar to mine (and most everyone on this board). Welcome to the club, sir.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Name:
    Kyle
    Dumb question, how much experience should one have before booking a 3.5 day. Is their a big difference in skill level needed than say a 1.5 day trip?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Dirk Diggler

Ratings:
    +122
    I'm obviously no expert but FWIW my 1st ever trip was a 3.5 and I did just fine. It was a blast! More fishing = More fun! Fish are fish aren't they? :emoji_wink:

#7 Dirk Diggler, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  8. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +643
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Not much difference IMO just more time to find the schools and get a little further away from the pressure typically. You may get into some better grade on a 3 day but again it depends on whats biting and where. Could be Bluefin at Clemente for 3 days, or Paddy hopping and looking For YFT and yellowtail probably about 120 -200 miles south? Not quite enough time for Guadalupe but possible depending on the boat getting stopped on the way down or not?

9. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,766
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    None....

Plenty of folks hop multi day trips for their first. Heck, I have heard of people doing 8 and even 16 day trips as their first.

You have landed yellowtail and tuna....you can land anything the long range trips fish for. Just might take you longer and you might sweat more. But the skills needed are the same.

Longer trips in my opinion are better...you have more time to bug the deckhands and have them teach you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    Damn. I'd hate to be on a 16 day trip and find out that I get seasick (because I've never been on a boat before and didn't know). That would be rough - two solid weeks of nausea with no relief.:emoji_scream:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,501
    I did a 2.5 day on the Sea Adventure 80 in November that turned out to be a fantastic trip. That boat has years of experience between the former captain and his son who is now the captain. They both were on this trip together. This trip I went on was a bluefin or bust trip and we had a couple of cows, several fish between 130-180 and many fish between 30-70 lbs. I'll definitely ride the boat again. Huge bait well that can hold bait for days. Those guys go out of their way to make you feel like family, really.

But those guys on the SA 80 are just as good at finding the Yellowfin and probably Dorado during that time. And who knows, with this weather pattern, maybe you'll even get lucky and find some Wahoo. (don't count on that, though).

The Constitution... seems to have mixed reviews. Do your research on that boat. Lots of comments on that boat on other sites, some good, some not so good. I've never been on this boat, though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  12. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,588
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    The SA 80 is a pretty good boat.. solid crew and captain. They had a pretty large change in crew the past year and the boys are on top of their game. Captain Scott is someone I'd trust with putting me on fish and running a group of passangers smoothly if that says anything.

I deadheaded the Constitution a while back and all I have to say is that it is okay. I'd say that the mixed reviews come from a group of anglers who expect a certain behavior and tip accordingly to the customer service that is provided.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,588
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    My first true long range trip was 6 days.

For reference... long range is anything over 5 days... at least by boat standards. 3.5 are day boat range.

14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,996
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Except for that Alligator you are holding in your profile pic! Huge fish, eh! ;)

15. Fishin_Buddy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +463
    If you want to support a lobster poacher, pick the Sea Adventure 80.

16. Dirk Diggler

Ratings:
    +122
    Wow didn’t see that one coming!

Thank you officer!

17. Egorham

Egorham Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +220
    The Constitution got a little of a bad rep on the "other" forums so I was tentative going into my 4.5 day in October but was happily surprised. I loved it. We had an excellent trip and I really like Keith and the Crew. The 2nd captain possibly had a pinch too much sarcasm that could be taken the wrong way but it didn't bother me.

Also the soda machine. I know you can't bring hard alcohol on those boats and I certainly would never. But if in another universe someone did, it sure would be nice to have unlimited ice and fountain soda. :emoji_cocktail:

We were lucky though and I landed four, 50 lb BFT the first two days then had unlimited WFO skipjack and yft fishing with a few dodos mixed in. Mmmmm take me back.

I too have the addiction. I understand.

EDIT: FWIW the SA 80 has a good reputation from everything I've read online, I just haven't fished it and can't personally attest.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  18. Fishin_Buddy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +463
    I gave you my opinion on the SA80, now I will tell you all about the Constitution. I know the boat very well because I worked on it for the past 5 years. (Don’t remember you Fat Spottie? When were you on?) One reason I would choose The Constitution over Sa80 is that the Constitution fishes nearly 300 days per year. Easily double the amount of time the rest of the overnight fleet fishes. Never rusty, always sharp!
    Another reason is the boat sponsors. If you don’t have appropriate gear for the type of fishing you are doing, well they have it on the boat. Quality gear, Seeker, Okuma, mustad and yozuri. Need some fresh line? Got it! Out of hooks...no worries!
    Top of the line electronics as of last year. The sonar is gyroscopic. This allows the sonar to see clearly even under heavy sea conditions. The fish can’t hide. Even our binoculars are top of the line Fraser’s.
    There is plenty of rod and gear storage. Two full heads. 22 rack bunk room and a 3 rack stateroom. A/C cranks out plenty of cool air. Galley chef will keep you fed with outstanding meals! You will be amazed at the quality they can generate from their little tiny kitchen!

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  19. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,792
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Come back out on the PQ! Pretty sure Gavin said we’ve got a trip or two in July in that range. No guarantees on the bluefin though, you know how we are about those things ;)

20. Dirk Diggler

Ratings:
    +122
    I would in a heart beat man! First place I looked but unfortunately my date is written in stone and you guys are out on a private charter. :emoji_sob:

We will meet again though. I am already planning another Colonet trip for next Feb on Superbowl weekend! :emoji_wink:

#20 Dirk Diggler, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019