Headed to the Eastern Sierra's (June Lake). Any tips?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by JFF, Jun 2, 2020.

1. JFF

JFF
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +198
    Headed to June Lake, and other Eastern Sierra lakes, for the first time. Any tips on trout fishing up there? I have 2 pound test spooled up. Yup... That's all I got so far. Planned to use kast masters, roster tails and some ebay garlic soaked "crappie stingers". Will soak power bait as well. Any specific method, bait or area that works best?

Thanks in advance.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,915
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I like creek fishing up there.. you can catch an absolute heap of fish with a size right hook baited with a worm you dug up someplace, just put a tiny split shot up the line a foot or so and drift it downcurrent to the fish, if you can, cast upstream and just nudge it into a hole or eddy, even just a slack spot behind a rock. You will get a bunch...
    Edit: I don't usually fish that far north, myself

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +150
    In the creeks try a single Pautzkes gold label salmon egg on a small mosquito hook and two or three tiny split shot spaced 5 inches apart about 2 to 3 feet above your hook.
    In the lakes trout teasers with or without power worm. Mice tails work too. Cast and shake rod tip during retrieve. Keep your presentation above the trout

4. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,738
    Convict lake, all the creeks, try east Walker, for some trophys . I'm leaving 6/14 for a month, can't wait. Bring some bagels and cream cheese, olive oil , garlic put on bbq the nite before make a good breakfast

5. crdake

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +356
    Ive had luck at the outflow from convict lake, both the creek part and the area right above the overflow are good after a stock since there is current. Also upper virginia lake can be fun, smaller rainbows but decent numbers on powerbait

6. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,120
    Trout worms on a dropshot, tiny hook, split shot for a sinker can work well. A nice technique from a float tube too if they are suspending a few feet off the bottom as shown by a depth finder, adjust the bait to be eye level. In streams or lakes, I like a Panther Martin, larger size, gold blades, black body. Flip the bail and start winding just before the bait hits the water so the blades start turning right away. The fish bite spinners out of territorial aggression so you don't have to use the smallest size, even for small fish. Thomas Buoyant is a good spoon too. I have usually used 4 lb test but lighter line will help still fishing. If you can get to a lake right after the trout truck dumps the stockers, you should catch dozens. Fresh stockers are dumb as rocks, my kind of fish, but they wise up fast. Trout spook real easy so use stealth. Fish will always be facing upstream so approach from downstream, avoid sudden movements. The eddies downstream from rocks and undercuts below banks usually hold fish, precision casting helps. Live grasshoppers from the bank floating on the surface can work wonders.

Now I wish I was going there. Advice above is part stream, part lake advice.

When you get good at trout, you can try carp, harder to catch, harder fighting but the taste reminds one of dirt mixed with canned cat food.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,989
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Yum

8. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    When I was younger we’d fish up there a bunch. We used live crickets as well salmon eggs in the rivers and creeks. The Owens River was always fun for larger fish. Single salmon egg on a small egg hook with a tee tiny split shot.
    In the lakes we used traditional gear. Typical trout lures and bait techniques.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,498
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Lakes , 1 " to 2 " Rapala countdown in Rainbow or Brown trout patterns . I know this may sound little unconventional , trolling a wooleybugger bead head on full sink flyline , very slow troll half walking speed , has caught more trout than any other method for me . Location doesn't seem to matter Idaho , Washington , Oregon , or California . Just putting it out there . All the afore mentioned methods for streams work well . Good Luck hope to see a good report . WR ADD /EDIT , Copper bead and rib Dark olive is my favorite Wooley . Another for creek stockers and hold overs is a fly tied to mimic a feed pellet at the hatchery .works for a very good reaction strike bait , spinning or fly rod .

#9 William Ritchie, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +28,376
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Fly fishing works in the streams. I'm talkin' about real flies! Knock them down with a fly swatter, put them on an egg hook, bam, lots of little "natives". Little pieces of worm is easier.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +150
    Agree completely about bead head wooly bugger. Black or purple. Also similar fly is egg sucking leech. You can cast with a water bobber.
    When I float tube I drag them around with good success