Hell with today….

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by dj thrillz, Jun 13, 2021.

1. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,850
    That is all.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,850
    Ok I take it back I won’t leave ya’s hangin. Good with the bad and all….
    Started my day at Torrey Pines around t-3 at 6am and working south. Bsp skunk buster inside thirty minutes between the spotfin antenna array.
    Went all the way well past flat rock, then walked all the way north to Del Mar at t-15, then all the way back to my car. Never saw a bean. I did see a mondo spotfin in the skinny, thought it was a rock until it moved…. Never saw it again tho. I passed two fly fisherman en route to Del Mar, they were doing the same thing I was only going the opposite way. I ended up giving a bagful of crabs to someone waiting for the tide to roll in, hopefully he was able to put them to good use, cus I didn’t. Off the sand just before 11am, exhausted, sore, and frustrated. Fast forward to 4:30pm…. I said to myself, “Self, we are gonna hit Imperial Beach to see how things are there and look for some redemption.” Upon arrival around 5pm, all I saw was salad in and out of the water. Couldn’t waste more gas so I gave it a go. Rough surf, brown water, tumbling cobblestones to the ankles, and nothing but micro crabs. To give you an idea just how micro they were, I was able to fit 6 of them on a #6 octopus hook, with room left for one or two more…. The crab sandwich worked tho as I was able to catch 3 bsp, best one topping out just over 5”…. Left before sunset, just had enough of today.

3. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,693
    Just earning some good karma points for a day down the line.

4. Gudelgad

Gudelgad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +277
    Name:
    Gustavo
    This has been my experience lately at Torrey Pines. It’s strange because April was literally nonstop action every time I went out- usually 10-12 fish between my son and I at each session. Mostly YFC and big perch. Since about the second week in May it’s been a 1-3 surf perch and a few times got skunked. Kinda waiting for things to kick in. I do remember back in April there had been a few storms and huge tidal swings earlier in the month that set up some nice structure- sand bars, holes, etc all over the place. The surf has been more flat and it’s harder for me to find structure. I think it’s almost like a lull between the end of surf perch breeding and the start of Corbina season but who knows.

5. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,863
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    Think you met my buddy; he said someone gave him a bag of crabs haha. Not much luck on his end; he missed a big hit but other than that no luck.

6. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,602
    Name:
    Keath
    Not good to hear it was crummy fishing, but thanks for posting a report. I was wondering if you had followed through with the plan to hit TP and anxious to see a post. I've got a couple days this week with a break in work that coincide with the start of incoming tide. Your post had me thinking I'll just stay north of Cardiff.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,386
    Hey, That's fishin"... There is always next time..
    Butch

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,850
    Yeah, I gave him like 49 crabs lol. I got to use one.

9. Big Daddy Art

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,172
    I haven’t had great success at IB the last few outings. Still great to be out in the water though.

10. Skunk_master

Skunk_master New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Name:
    Travis

Hey! Thanks for the crabs, definitely saved me some time considering I didn’t have to forage bait. gave citruspirate the lowdown, but had one big hit that I missed and that was it. Tried to throw the line back out to where it was, but couldn’t manage to lure him back. Tight lines! Hope to see you around!

11. Shane T.

Shane T. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +378
    Name:
    Shane
    That was me & cajunjacket you met by Flat Rock on Sunday.

Better times ahead, my friend. I had one perch & something big that spit the hook.

It's this constant barrage of salad frustrating me...still good to be out though.

12. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,850
    No problem at all. Saw you digging for a few when I was walking by, figured I’d save you the hassle. I’m sure we will run into each other plenty of times over the summer. You should consider joining kotb, citruspirate and several others are in. $375 value at the moment. Gotta sign up by Saturday though.

13. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,850
    Awe man, well you got closer to a nice fish than I did. We need to invent a super large surf salad rake or something. Nice meeting you out there, I’ve met cajunjacket before at one of my events, he snubbed me out from winning a perch contest lol. I’ll see you two on the sand soon.