HELP!!!! Float tube bladder!

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by bowhunter619, May 25, 2011.

1. bowhunter619

bowhunter619 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if someone locally sells replacement U-Tube bladders??? Its an older Sterns U-Tube. I have a tube spot for barrett for sunday and need something pronto. Thanks!

Also.... What about patch kits which do you all recommend? I rather get a new bladder but Ill try to patch if not. I rather be on a U-Tube and not a U-Boat if you get my drift.

Thanks in advance......

2. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +136
    Go To Home Depot and get a vynil pool repair patch kit.Its a squeeze tube of glue that comes with a sheet of vynil.Cut a piece to size and glue it over the leak.It sets in about 30 minutes.

3. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,274
    I ordered a replacement kit for a White River (Bass Pro Shop brand 27.99) to put in a Stearns. I haven't gotten it yet, so I don't know how well it will fit. I'll let ya know as soon as it arrives. I know this won't help you for the weekend, but if the bladder fits, this information would help you for a later weekend. :wink:

4. bowhunter619

Ratings:
    +0
    @ fishindad: thanks for the repair tip ill stop by home depot after work. Its a slow leak so it should be fixable.

@ bassgal: i will be looking forward to see how that fits. Even if i fix it it would be nice to have a spare.

Thank u both for your timely responses they are very much appreciated. And a big thanks to the board member that offered to let me borrow their tube. I look forward to being more active on this board and hopefully fishin with some of u.

5. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40
    If your leak isn't in an "open" area (like if it's on a seam, etc.), use Aquaseal. It is a resin that you mix with an activator. If you do it right the repair will be more durable than the original bladder. I think I bought it last at Sport Chalet.

6. jdogg

jdogg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hahaha fill it with fix a flat haha JK don't do that

7. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,274
    I got the kit from Bass Pro Shop this afternoon. The main bladder is about the right size and shape to work in the Stearns U tube. The main problem is that the Stearns shell was set up for the inflation valve to exit from the left side and the Bass Pro bladder has a boston valve setup which exits from the right side. So, I'm debating whether or not I want to cut a hole in the shell inside the right storage compartment to access that valve. Without access, it's pretty clumsy to fill. Still, it is a working replacement bladder. The main backrest bladder is also a good fit, while the top rest is a bit on the small side. But the main body bladder is the most important part. By comparison, the main bladder is a bit smaller by a good bit than what goes into a Caddis Nevada, so I wouldn't recommend trying it in one of those.

8. bowhunter619

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my sterns tube slightly used with an aftermarket bladder. It has the inflation valve on the right side also. I have to unzip the shell slightly to inflate the bladder. I have had this bladder for about 5 years with absolutely no problems until now. Im not sure of the brand because it doesn't have it printed on the bladder.

Its seems I fixed the problem so hopefully it holds out on Sunday. But only time will tell.

9. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +376
    dont worry bh as long as it can get you thru half the day i'll come swoop you up. hopefully your waders dont fill too fast if you start sinking :lol: just unclip with a quickness! last time i tied my foot pump to the back just in case :wink:

10. bowhunter619

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a funny story about waders filling up but its do damn embarassing i wait till tomorrow to tell it lol.