help with Curado

Discussion in 'Fishing tackle & gear' started by zoner, Oct 5, 2017.

1. zoner

zoner Member

Ratings:
    +5
    i have a older Curado 100. I have always cleaned and serviced my own reels but this one has me stumped. Im hoping somebody here has had the same problem. Everything works fine until its time to turn the handle to put the reel in gear. Underneath the main gear there's a "ratchet gear"....its purpose is to engage the dog that operates the clutch when you turn the handle to put the reel in gear. For some reason that dog wants to move toward the outside edge of the sideplate to the point that the ratchet gear doesn't engage the dog when you turn the handle. The reel stays in free spool. The dog has a spring, its there and doesn't look broken or anything. Anybody else run into this problem with their Curado?

2. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,665
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Photos please.

3. zoner

zoner Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Linebig, thanks for responding. Yesterday my wife fell off her ebike and hurt her back....bedridden today. I'll get back to this thread when i can but right now i'm pretty busy helping her out. ive worked on the reel some more and am beginning to wonder if the tips on the ratchet gear "cogs" are worn just enough so the clutch pawl slips over them rather than engage when you turn the handle. I'd like to see a pic of a new ratchet gear or a pic of one that's in a working reel to compare it to mine. I'm thinking maybe take it over to Anglers Choice but it'll be the first time ever i had to go to a shop to diagnose or repair a reel. Not quite ready to give up. Will get back here when i can.....Thanks again....Mike

4. zoner

zoner Member

Ratings:
    +5
    BTW my reel is a 200B.......Mike

5. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,665
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Tell her to get well! :) fishing can take a back seat.

6. Hirame

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +998
    this happened on my e5 curado. I bent the spring so it has more tension on the dog and it never happened again. Also, the thumbar felt more solid when disengaging. Hope this helps

7. zoner

zoner Member

Ratings:
    +5
    ive disassembled, cleaned/lubed, and reassembled this reel half a dozen times since i was last here....same result. I got to looking the other day and somewhere along the way i had lost one of the right sideplate screws(there are four). Two on top of side plate,teo on the bottom. Since i only had three i put in the two top ones and chose to use the one screw leftin the hole at the reelseat, leaving out the one that goes next to that dog spring. The SOB now works every time. I'm thinking theres little room between the dog spring and the inside of the sideplate and when i left out the screw next to the spring and put it forward in the reel seat hole i was torquing that sideplate enough that the top of that spring was dragging on the inside of the sideplate.....the location of that sideplate screw is the only difference. Ive disengaged and re-engaged the gears(by turning the handle) 20-25 times at home and its working. Still need to test drive it fishing but thats easy for me....i live in MB and can see the cove on north side of Santa Clara point from my house....thanks for those who responded to the post. Ill report back after i fish a little with it.

8. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,665
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Nice work.