Hey kids, let play Russian roulette with an animal and buy a pit bull.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by otay michael, Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,464
    Name:
    Eric
    I have a pit currently, have owned a few in the past, and have known closely many more. They're very loyal and sweet dogs. If the owner raises them to be aggressive and defensive, they will be loyal to that. Of all the pits I've known, only one was "crazy" since birth. If raised right and trained well they are awesome dogs. Walking my pit we encounter atleast 3 small breed dogs that are aggressive and out of control everyday. People laugh and shrug because the dog is small and weak. Pits are very strong and athletic dogs, so they have much higher potential to do damage. Some people raise them to be vicious against their nature and sometimes the results are bad. Any dog is liable to be dangerous if left unchecked, pits are just strong enough to make something happen.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035
    My pits are better behaved than most children. My neice and nephew poke their face pull their tail and ears, scream and act crazy around them. My dogs just sit there and lick them when they get annoyed they walk away.

Dogs take after their owners just like kids take after their parents.

3. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Well look at the statistics at U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities: Breeds of Dogs Involved, Age Groups and Other Factors Over a 13-Year Period (2005 to 2017), isn't it frightening? This breed was created to bite, so it just does what was made for:
    U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities in 13-Year Period (2005 to 2017)
    Fatal dog attacks by breed (2005 to 2017)
    multi-year-dog-bite-fatality-chart-2005-2017.gif

4. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Why are you so sure, look at the statistics U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities: Breeds of Dogs Involved, Age Groups and Other Factors Over a 13-Year Period (2005 to 2017) and then think twice. There might be no warning and you might be not the direct victim but nevertheless if this happens to someone else you might wish you were...
    I'm not a dog lover but generally I'm not scared, just aware when they are near and don't like them close. Yet somehow most dogs maybe like my scent, appear quite curious and like to get close, jump on me and leek me (ugrrrr). While some owners cheering what they incorrectly think is my friendliness to their dogs. People, keep your dogs on a short leash and don't let them close to anyone who is not explicitly inviting them. I guess there are laws about this.

#24 plako, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  5. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Why am I so sure? I live with them and have raised them.... I can only speak to my own experiences and my dogs actions. They are friendly nice dogs, play well with other dogs and children. Again it’s all about how they are raised. Not trying to win anyone over just sharing my experiences.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. 12incher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +563
    My wife and I adopted an ex-dog show Vizsla that had some weird food dominance issues resulting from when she was fed during her show days.

We could handle it no problem as we quickly asserted dominance but the episodes were still scary. We could tell the dog was highly conflicted sifting from being sweet as pie to a completely aggressive teeth masher at the drop of a hat.

When my wife got pregnant, we sought help to try and correct the behavior. Went as far as going to and dropping big bucks on Helen Woodward for numerous sessions. Upshot was, the doctor told us the dog was very, very conflicted due to prior abuse and that no way should the dog be in a family with a baby. We then asked about passing the dog to another family and were advised not to due so and instead put her out of her mental misery to avoid prolonged internal confliction and potential harm to the next owner.

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,800
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Not all people have the same experiences with Pits, obviously. The above stats are telling. Ever watch Judge Judy? More often than not the victims are other dogs. I had to intervene with a 1/2 Pit, or my dog would likely be dead. This happened in MY yard! This dog was the friendliest dog in the world... to people!

Then there are the insurance companies...

If it is all in the training, then why can't a person train a Golden or a Lab to kill?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035
    I look forward to the day I’m retired and I can watch judge Judy, I’m only 29 so hopefully she’s still around. I think you can pretty much train any breed of dog to kill.

Our life experiences shape our opinions, yours are definitely different than mine and if I had something similar happen to me I might have a different opinion.

9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,875
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    All I know, Troy , is I am tired of constantly being prepared to defend myself from off leash dogs at the beach. I have felt obligated to make sure I have ''less lethal" self defense methods when I fish certain beaches. Apparently when someone's dog bites a hole in your pants and you haul out a gaff, certain types of owners freak out. I am currently considering buying a sjambok to carry with me certain places...

10. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Because they’re hunting dogs with weak jaw muscles designed to gently grip birds without shredding them. They might have the prey drive in them and you can do all the bite training you want, but they’re not built for that. It’s not the dogs trained to do defensive work that are dangerous and unpredictable, it’s the abused ones that are constantly in fear and the ones that were never shown discipline as a puppy. I used to have a lab that was a rescue that received absolutely zero training prior to us getting her and she was far more agressive than my German shepherd and Belgian malinois that I have now, despite them being the “violent breeds”. It’s all in the environment they’re brought up in. I’ve done extensive PPD training with both my current dogs and have seen what they’re capable of, but they’re extremely well disciplined and were properly socialized as puppies so they’re friendly as can be unless commanded otherwise, and I have complete control over that. It’s all directed by their first year or so of life, and how short of a leash they were kept on. Any dog that’s never faced a correction before, has minimal experience with the outside world, or doesn’t understand it’s place in “the pack” can be a threat later on.

If anyone is interested, I can refer to plenty of great books on the proper socialization of working breeds like shepherds, mals, and true working line pits for a better understanding of how the psychology of a dog works. Super interesting stuff.

11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,800
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I get loving animals and dogs in particular, but Pit lovers are purposely ignoring the obvious: pits, as a breed, are the most dangerous dog, hands down! Not even close!

I hope you never see a Pit tearing into a smaller defenseless dog! It is extremely disturbing !

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. sdedtune

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,323
    Drop that Lab off at MCRD. That lab will be slaying dragons in no time

13. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    One distinctive advantage of the humans race over all other animals is that they are capable to learn significantly from past and shared experience of others. Still, at individual level there are wide fluctuations in this capability. Fortunately, with the age this capability is generally advancing.

14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,800
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Wishful thinking from my vantage point. A different thread, but the popularity of Bernie and AOC leads me to believe otherwise.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    I think Winston Churchill once said "If at age of 20 you are not a communist you don't have a hearth, if at age of 40 you still are - you don't have a mind" But there is also another reason for the Millennials and younger to be attracted by these crazy ideas - they have been robbed from their future and enslaved in student loans for degrees that with very small exceptions won't ever pay back the time and money invested.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,117
    Name:
    Kyle
    Ah to be 29 again..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,800
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    You messed up that Churchill quote pretty badly, but I get it!