hmmm IB pier on 9/7

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by jazz206, Sep 11, 2019.

1. jazz206

jazz206 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Prior to the IB beach sewer closure I was fishing for some bait for the upcoming lobster season. As I left at night, I saw a conical trap on the pier. I thought that it was a little bold to have a lobster trap out but wondered if there might be crabs or something else out. I did not stick around to see what they were after.

2. F1$H

F1$H Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 13
    Some people will try to catch crabs. I've never seen any crabs worth keeping except spider crabs, and those taste as good as they look. Could'a been lobster poachers as well.

3. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +631
    Name:
    Perry
    A few nights ago, we were fishing on the NAS North Island Pier, around 11:00. This truck pulls up and two guys get out and start unloading lobster traps. These we not "new" traps, and were rigged well, so the two guys most assuredly had some experience. As they came down to the pier, they were told that the season was still closed. They left, but I have a suspicion that had we not been there, those traps would have been soaking.

4. Robdog

Robdog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Hatteras GT63
    Yeah people will do anything sometimes, even illegally. We ran into a group over at Catalina last year on the Friday before the opener. They were setting nets, and we politely mentioned that the season didn’t open until Saturday at 6am. They told us to F-off and continued setting, we called DFG, who happened to be in Avalon, they came over and I assume arrested them, I didn’t stick around to watch after they pulled up. Sad because it gives the ones that make an honest mistake with no ill intentions a bad name.