Hodges 07/01/20

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by bassgalrascal, Jul 1, 2020.

1. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Didn't really get all that committed to "going on the hunt" on opening day. I went over around midmorning, with a little tackle bag of somewhat generic bassie lures and a couple of baitcasting rigs, just to walk the shoreline. The parking lot was pretty full with boat trailers, but they were scattered around the lake I guess...not a whole bunch on the Del Dios arm, anyway. So, I headed over to the west side of the lake, parked and walked down to the shoreline. The twin palms are not easy to spot anymore. Looks like the palms finally died, but I managed to spot the stretch of shoreline over there.
    I chatted with a tuber. He'd caught a couple, but admitted that the morning had been slow for him. I went down the shore a bit from him and started to fish a Fat Ika. There seemed to be no love for that. Meanwhile, the tuber's buddies came by in a boat and showed off a nice bass that they were heading to the dock with to weigh. I overheard that they got it on a senko, so I switched out to a senko. The senko went untouched, so I switched back to the Ika. I got a pickup on that finally, but no hookup. Then I decided to downsize and pinned a shad colored 3 inch reaper onto a dropshot rig to toss. Before too long, that got bumped, and it was fish on. Not anything worth taking a picture of, but at least was genuine skunk repellent. Some guys in a boat pulled up nearby and caught a big catfish. It was around noon by then, and I wanted to go get some lunch, so I left. Not the greatest day, but enjoyable enough. I'll be back soon, either with the little tin boat, or my float tube.

#1 bassgalrascal, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  2. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,012
    Great report. Can't blame the virus, those bass have had lockjaw for years. ;/)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,822
    Nice detailed report.... I felt like I was there with you fishing. Thanks for getting out there and giving it your best and when you return with you tin boat or tube you will be nailing them next time. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Next up: Sutherland!

5. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,973
    A gal fishing a reaper....:emoji_heart_eyes::emoji_grin:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,551
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    I have a personal problem with ds fishing in murky water. Even though I see other people have success on it, I can't bring myself to do it. I got into bass fishing with a dropshot at dixon so in my mind, you fish that in transparent water with spooky bass. But we can still be friends:emoji_upside_down:

7. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Murky water is PERFECT for dropshot fishing because you don't have to use light line, and dropshot is the perfect technique to swim the bait in place on structure, so that the presentation can remain stationary and not move off the spot. You can shake and kill the bait repeatedly without reeling it in.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  8. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,078
    Boat:
    Yes
    Thanks for the Hodges report! Haven't been there in a couple of years. Good to hear you avoided Pepe' Le Pew!! Like Vinny said, I'm sure in your tube or boat you'll catch more. Good luck at Sutherland! I'll be there on Saturday.

9. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,625
    This is a very helpful tip.. I’m not big into the drop shot thing, but I might be now. The way you explained the presentation makes perfect sense.. nice report by the way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,592
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    BGR knows a thing or two!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,625
    Well, I’d definitely have to agree with that fisheromen. Also looks like she knows a thing or two about motorcycles...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List