Hodges 8/15

Discussion in 'Carp' started by MattL, Aug 15, 2018.

1. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,369
    Name:
    MattL
    Short version: skunked. Hooked what felt like the largest fish of my life, took me into a snag and escaped. Slow fishing despite plentiful carp.

Long version:

Spent about three hours on the water, from 11 - 2. When I showed up a couple bass guys both said the bite was hot in the morning and then tapered off.

Walked to a spot south of the boat launch. Saw a guy down the shore from me pull what looked like a 15lb carp out of the water and throw it in the bushes. Got a rod in the water and walked over to ask if I could "keep the carp," with the intention of surreptitiously releasing it. Turned out the carp was all messed up and beaching itself over and over, and it was a mercy kill.

Kept continuously getting taps on the line the whole session. Guessing it's a combination of bluegill and crayfish munching on the pack bait, and carp hitting the line.

Two guys walked past me and said they caught some carp around the corner from me. Moved down there after about an hour of nothing.

Almost immediately had a screaming run that saw me panicking and knocking my rods over. I fought the fish for a few moments before it made it to what felt like a submerged tree. It could have already had me partially hung up, or it could have been a truly enormous fish. If it was as big as it felt, it would have been my PB not only for carp but for fish, period.

Totally quiet for the rest of the session, until carp started jumping right before I left. Saw a tail that looked like it belonged to a 30+ lber. Got another small run, straight for a snag, and then I headed home.

Losing fish to snags is a constant problem at Hodges. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

The fish were there, I should have gotten more than I did. I attribute it to two things: I changed my pack bait recipe and I was using different hooks.

Used black cherry soda instead of strawberry soda, because I found it half off. The stuff tastes like cough syrup, guessing the fish don't like it either. Finding good carp hooks has been a challenge too. Was using small eagle claw nickel plated live bait hooks. I think they're both too visually conspicuous and weigh a little too much, making them harder to inhale.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47,485
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Snags and big fish go hand in hand, unfortunately. Might try smaller live bait style hooks and see how they perform. Fairly heavy braid in a camo color at your terminal end can help you turn a fish with more stout gear, but those snags at Hodges are legendary amongst the bass guys for a reason, I have a feeling. Btw, might check dollar tree for strawberry shasta soda, 1$/4 pack in years past, it may still be available

3. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,369
    Name:
    MattL
    Thanks, I'm at dollar tree all the time anyway so I'll keep an eye out. So frustrating - the average size of carp there seems to be much bigger than any other lake around here but I lose like 1/3 to 1/2 of the fish I hook to snags. The Euros say to keep your bail engaged and drag torqued down, which spells "lost gear" in my mind.

4. biggbass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +541
    Name:
    Chris Stockdale
    Boat:
    Triton
    The Euros are right. If you give them any time they will wrap you up.
    Better to try to stop the run ASAP. Turn their heads your way and control the fight
    Once they get up steam they will find the snags.
    The successful guys get them to come up towards the surface first. Once they do - You are in control.
    Watch the guys with the 12 foot poles with no reel.
    They bring them straight up first. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,539
    What is your hookbait Matt? Boilies?

I use #6 Mutu circles. I have some Euro carp hooks but haven't used the yet.

6. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,369
    Name:
    MattL
    This is very helpful. Thank you.

7. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,369
    Name:
    MattL
    Using fake corn on a hair rig, with oatmeal, corn and soda pack bait on a homemade method lead.

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47,485
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I always think about the fake corn.. anti crayfish/catfish/turtle, supposedly.. wonder what it is about it that carp will eat, that the others don't?

9. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,078
    I caught my largest carp ever at Hodges with a ZMan TRD Crawz almost directly across from where you were fishing MattL .

10. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,369
    Name:
    MattL
    The fake corn allegedly still works on channel cats, but I've never caught one on it. I've also never hooked a turtle on it, including spots where it's a near guarantee with real corn. Can't explain it either.

11. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,369
    Name:
    MattL
    Nice, how big?

12. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,078
    If I told you MattL , you wouldn't believe me. I went to take a picture of a coyote and realized, I had left my phone in the truck...

I came home that day happier than the Butchers' dog. Lots of chunk bass after the coyote and than, what I thought was another snag on a Hodgenator, hooked into a carp that took off like a like a branded steer. It was after noon and the wind was blowing me straight to shore, as well as the fish trying to find cover to the left of me. I could not get my PA to turn away from shore, so I turned the rudder to the shore and peddled as hard as I could and turned right again with a little more power. Slowly the fish was pulled to deeper water and ultimately, almost fit into my net. It took two hands to lift it into the back of the PA and its' tail was outside of the storage area.

When I got home and told my wife, the first thing she ask me is if I killed it. I told her no, I let it go. Without hesitation she tells me, "Than it's nothing to be proud of. Do you know how much damage they do to the lake?" I said, "No, but they are hella fun to catch that size..."

I wound up bringing my fly rod the next two trips without a tug. There are super size carp out there. Tight lines to you or rent a boat and bring your bow.