Hodges have any bass? lol I got SKUNKED!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Bass Bandit, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Bass Bandit

Bass Bandit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Impossible! ;)
    I threw the whole dang tackle box at em, hit every spot available. Not even a glimpse of a bass anywhere.

Cranks, worms, drop, swim-baits, and the microwave oven..... Was about to try out some dynamite! j/k

Did a lot better out at DVL last Wednesday.

Really nice day out there though, better than working.

Hope ya'll had better luck.

2. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,941
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Many people are feeling your pain, many people are also hitting them pretty well? I heard tossing a soft bait just onto the shore and then bringing it into the water has worked? Also a blade bait tossed the same way. I have not tried it? They said some fish were ultra shallow and or on the very edges and the splash spooked them away.

3. Christopher01

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +101
    Somewhere on here Kellen posted the subject of Tom Leedom killin it back to back there. I think there was a link to Kramer Gone Fishing where Tom explained how he did it. Try that out in addition to Big's suggestions. good luck

4. tuforeel

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +163
    I found a tiny little pocket of stick ups that has been very productive. But like i said tiny. Have not caught a decent fish other then this little stretch. I would post some pics but i cant resize them with my new phone, i tried, and gave up!! 2 weeks ago lost a 7 as i went to lip her, then 20 minutes later got a solid fish over 5 like 15 feet away from the fish i lost!! oh and the stretch is 100 yards away from launch!!

5. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +136
    Hodges is always at its best a few weeks before it closes for the season....

6. Bass Bandit

Bass Bandit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Spent a better part of the day with a couple buddies again there. Threw the tackle box and nadda. My buddy caught a 3# and a 1# right before we left. Now I have a nemesis lake! Thanks for the info!

7. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +433
    three tournaments have been won there in the last month with weights over 30lbs...

8. Bass Bandit

Bass Bandit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been hearing all about it. The one buddy that was with me fishing is a seasoned basser' 3/4 through the day he was wondering if he was a fisherman at all. lol

Tough lake, but I do like a challenge!

9. semperdoc

semperdoc Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My buddy and I had pretty decent luck out there. We missed a few on square bills off the rocks in the narrows (you can go shad pattern, or follow Tom's example and throw a bright color). But our best luck is on the NON Narrow's brush...mid-lake to the dam. We power shot a regular senko, and, I am convinced any color will work.

The biggest key I have learned there, and granted it is only my 5th trip there ever so I could be way off base and entirely just lucky, is this: Pretend you are fishing a Southern murky water lake. Hit every target at MULTIPLE angles! Hit those same angles multiple times. Early while the bait fish are busting all over the place you can find the actively feeding fish off the rocks; but, most fish later on seemed like I had to hit them in the head and piss them off to get the bite. If I was fishing timber in more than 7ft of water, I didn't get the bite. If I was fishing timber that was next to a rock bank...the bite came from the inside rather than the outside of the structure. If I was fishing big timber, then I had to cast right in the middle of it all and pray that I could get her out. My buddy got a 4# that I actually had to submerge most of my upper body just to get her out. If we were using cranks then we made sure to fish them slow; but cover a lot of water and only slow down once we got a bite.

Power shot rig: 3/0 VMC spin shot with an approx 4-5in leader to a 1/2oz tungsten weight.

Be methodical, be patient, and work all the angles several times. Good luck.

10. Bass Bandit

Bass Bandit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This helps a ton, thank you!

You know at first, my ego was so busted from not catching anything, that I almost considered never going back. Now it is challenge accepted! :)