HOLIDAY DEALS FOR FLOAT TUBES

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by cavedog619, Nov 27, 2019.

?

What do you guys think of the Caddis Sports Premier Plus?

Poll closed Dec 4, 2019.
  1. Yes

11.1%
  2. No

22.2%
  3. Bacon

66.7%
  1. cavedog619

cavedog619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    I'm in the market for a float tube so I can get out on the water more often. Taking my Hobie Outback out for a few hours takes up to an hour of valuable fishing time just for the logistics of getting in the water. So in doing my research I thought I'd share a holiday deal I came across.

What do you guys think of the Caddis Sports Premier Plus?

I'm thinking about jumping on this since it'll be $99 after the discount and free shipping with purchase over $75.

Caddis Sports - 50% off Inspire LC, Premier Plus and Pro 2000
    Promo code: save50
    Caddis Sports Inc

Price after discount
    Pro 2000 - $80
    Premium - $99
    Inspire - $150

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,495
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I know this will sound dumb, but if you enjoy fishing from the yak, just get a cheap, light paddle yak or SUP you can just throw in wherever without any hassle.. my opinion only.. that's what I would do...

3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,559
    I get that there are all sorts of reasons why people choose the gear they use, so I'm always hesitant to say anything. When it comes to float tubes, there are lots of differences - some small, some large.. like warranty coverage - which is huge.. and whether you want your azz riding in or out of the water.. and how many air chambers there are.. and whether or not the seat and back are inflatable or if they're just the saggy pieces of foam.. etc. And I only ask this because I was one of those guys that made about $1500 worth of mistakes early-on in his float tube/salt fly fishing days. Lessons learned, and that's why I feel like my history of failures is worth sharing.

And now that I know my mistakes, my question is this.. If anyone is going to make the decision to spend some hard-earned money on a float tube (or any piece of gear for that matter), why on earth would that person not avoid guaranteed heart and wallet ache and not buy the best right off the bat?

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,495
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Lol, Creek .. he already has the best, arguably, of all the hand propelled craft available today.. he seems to be looking for something that is less of a pain to launch.. I had two kayaks myself, a heavy, slow stable one, and a lighter one I could throw over my shoulder and carry down steps or rocks for a quick launch..

5. cavedog619

Ratings:
    +144
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    Thanks for the input Coach. I do enjoy the yak. I'd like to have other options available.

Thank you for your advice and I'll take this under consideration. Respectfully, I own a Hobie Outback, which is the best for my needs. I'm doing my due diligence in doing the research. Whats your choice for "best right off the bat" float tube? I subscribe to the old addage: "Buy once, cry once".

6. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,606
    ive never used that but looks good for the price...i bought my float tube used years ago for 100 bucks...(odc420) and have been riding with it since...also bought a uboat for 50 bucks, its a much lighter one and i only bought it because it came with waders, fins, and a pump which i needed at the time...i use that occasionally but thats usually for a friend. if i can go back in time i would make higher investments in the other essentials such as waders, forcefins, electronics. The tube itself has stood up to constant abuse and use in the salt and fresh.

7. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,559
    Outcast FishCat4 Deluxe (with the air bladders for the seat and backrest) if you're 200 lbs or less.

Outcast FatCat if you're over 200 lbs.

These are money tubes.. expensive, and extremely well worth it. Take care of it. Rinse the daylights out of it after every saltwater use. Take out the seat and back bladders once every few months and clean both them and the interior space they occupy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. cavedog619

Ratings:
    +144
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    :emoji_joy::emoji_joy: Somebody besides me voted for bacon. :emoji_punch::emoji_metal:

9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,495
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I was tempted... Hahaha.. might as well give in

10. cavedog619

Ratings:
    +144
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    :emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy: (I just discovered those emoji thingys)

11. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,205
    I've never been on a SUP, so take this for what it's worth, but I think it would be the best craft for maximizing time on the water and minimizing set-up time. It also gives you the advantage of covering more water. I have a floattube, but I'm thinking of getting a SUP for these reasons.

Not that a FT takes a ton of time to set up. But you do have a little more gear (fins, booties/shoes, air pump) and not much storage room on the tube itself, so it can be cumbersome to take it all down to the water. Factor in waders, too, if that's your thing. With a SUP, I've seen people take everything in a milk crate and strap it down. You also don't have to deal with inflating and deflating a SUP.

Back to FTs, it's widely accepted that FishCats are the best, and Cumberland is a close second. My first outing was in Creek 's FC, so I had nothing to compare it with, but it's an awesome vessel. I since got a Cumberland, but it was too long after for me to make an accurate comparison. One thing to consider as Creek mentioned is the seat: how much you sit in the water vs out of it, how comfortable it is (foam vs air), how heavy you are, etc. I'm not sure, but I think I sit lower in my Cumberland than when I did in the FC. I have no opinion of the Caddis (hence, bacon).

12. cavedog619

Ratings:
    +144
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    I appreciate your opinion and advice drawn from experience.

13. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,559
    Freakin' float tubes seem relatively easy to me.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,495
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Downright difficult compared to an SUP tho.. sold the kayaks because of my back, been considering the SUP for this very reason

15. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,559
    Most likely an age thing, but I've recently developed a tailbone soreness that I only get after float tubing. I stand up to get out, and I have to bend up straight slowly. Takes about 15-20 seconds to fully subside. So to compensate (thinking the pain was due to sitting on a fully inflated seat), I added a silicone seat cushion that sits perfectly inside the seat slot, and on top of the seat air bladder. I take it out and clean it every several sessions - just because it seems smart to do if nothing else. That silicone pad has helped immensely with the pain.

16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,559
    Is it? I've never kayaked in my life, so I have no clue. I'm getting too old for this stuff. Slow as I go, but still and always in a float tube.

17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,495
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Sitting is too much pain.. I would need to try an SUP before I got one.. I think it could work out for me though

18. cavedog619

Ratings:
    +144
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    I didn’t mean touch a nerve. Just asking for consensus. I’ll take my remarks elsewhere.

19. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,495
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Nah, man.. open discussion helps us all.. consensus might be hard to find.. loads of great opinions here. Just a question of what works for you...

20. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,606
    Happens to me too..I think it has more to do with the way I sit as opposed to the seat...