Hook Puncture in Float Tube?

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Kam_Walsh98, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,365
    I was going through my storage closet last night and I noticed that my tube got punctured by a small size 8 hook. I cut the barb and removed the hook but I'm worried that tube is now damaged. It was a very small puncture (I don't think I can even find it anymore) and I can't imagine it doing a lot of harm but is this something I should be worried about and, if so, what could I do to repair it?

2. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,963
    Hell YES you should be worried about it ! You gotta fish with it on Saturday !!!

Get a really thick mixture of dish soap and water in a gallon bottle. Pump up the boat. Pour the soapy water over your tube chamber WELL ABOVE where you think the hole was. When the bubbles start screaming out of it, draw a circle around it with a black Sharpie.

Clean the soap off the boat completely and dry the area with a blow dryer. Deflate the tube. Once completely dry and deflated, put a dab of crazy glue on the hole - just make sure it doesn't go through to the other side of the two or you're in trouble. After the crazy glue has dried and hopefully sealed the tiny hole, patch as usual (according to the manufacturer instructions) from there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. filippo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback 2016
    I’d use Aquaseal instead of crazy glue. Much thicker and works like a charm. You’ll use the same stuff to repair waiders.

Once opened, keep Aquaseal tube in the freezer so that it doesn’t dry out.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,963
    I guess I should have been clearer. "Patch as usual per manufacturer's instructions - which includes either the cement they sent along with your waders, or yes, Aquaseal - which by the way is the bomb.

5. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,365
    I inflated the tube as instructed and poured soapy water over every nook and cranny of the tube but it didn't bubble at all. I even tried letting some air out and trying to push it out of various sections of the tube. The only significant bubbles that I saw formed were between the seams of the tube and by the zipper in the back. Should I leave it inflated for awhile to see if there's any noticeable deflate?

#5 Kam_Walsh98, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,365
    Okay I also unzipped the tube itself and checked out the bladder, pouring more soap throughout. I saw no noticeable damage, no bubbles came out, and I tried putting some pressure on some different sections without any noticeable loss of air. I think I might have gotten lucky and just punctured the outer shell and not the actual bladder itself (especially since it wasn't inflated when it happened)

7. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,963
    Thank God !

8. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,051
    Shoe Goop also works.

9. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,691
    Aquaseal....get it even if you don’t need it cause one day you will...I’ve used it on my waders...and I’ve fixed 4 inch tears on the seam..patches aren’t worth the trouble..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,749
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    For you skaters out there, this sounds like a job for Shoe Goo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,051
    An addendum. The best way to find a leak in a float tube is if you have a general idea where the leak is pump up the tube to where it's "thunking' tight then put the back of your hand over the suspect leak area or better yet put you nose/lips over the suspected leak area and you will feel the air coming out. Works for me. :emoji_kissing:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Kyle Goodman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +354
    I know this is an old post but for anyone else experiencing this issue, big 5 sells this stuff called tear aid. Make sure you get the type B which is for vinyl. Its like a stretchy sticker that is an instant repair. No waiting for cement and patches to dry just stick it and start floating. Ive used this several times on my old float tube. After the tube is deflated a few times you may have to replace the patch but it comes with quite a bit of material so its good for at least 10 patches or so. Best part is its only 10 BUCKKSS

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4DXgx3mqDVlr0JBHtUo6q6rwLtU0IlTh-dHdKXAUR1PXJyESWxg1CK3ajQe4&usqp=CAY.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List