Hooks for small harbaits

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by NibbleSquad, Feb 12, 2021.

1. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,612
    Im looking to replace some hooks on my mini crankbaits. I've lost a couple nice trout using the stock treble hooks and I'm considering switching to inline single hooks. My theory is a single hookpoint will penetrate better as the force isn't spread out over multiple points but i could be wrong. I know in japan where hardbait fishing for trout is more popular they use the singles but I suspect it is more for catch and release. I won't be doing any releasing on stocked trout. Anyone with more knowledge have any suggestions on what to use? I'm not opposed to just getting a smaller wire gauge treble

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,254
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    I have replaced all of my stock trebles as well . Gamakatsu silver finish , or Owner black chrome finish round bend trebles . On those you replace with inline singles Go 1 to 2 sizes larger . The inlines seem to get hung up less . In areas with heavy structure like Lee's Ferry on the Colorado , I have also cut off close to the shank the lower prong of the trebles so when running , the hooks ride against the body without the downward protrusion of the third hook . doesn't seem to make a difference in hook up ratio . WR

3. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,612
    Thank you fo the advice I didn't even consider upsizing when switching to inline singles. Makes sense now that i think about it