Hot new lure...

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by carpkiller, Feb 2, 2018.

?

Name for my version....

1. Scorchers

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Spotted Spotty Scorchers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rube Tubes

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. OCD Tubes

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    No, really hot. Small second-degree burn near my thumbnail.

On the left, a popular lure that works very well and costs six bucks.

On the right, my home-brewed version. Made with scorched plastic. Less than 30 cents in material.

The gold w brown flakes was achieved by carefully burning the plastic, picking out the charcoal briquettes and leaving little brown floaters. Actual clear and colored versions will occur next week.

Of course, one could exactly match the store-bought lure, if one was to buy the correct jighead mold, upgrade to heavier hooks and bigger 3-d eyes and invest a few hours refining the layered-color technique. But only an idiot w.....

Hmmm.
    scorchies.jpg

#1 carpkiller, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  2. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,042
    I've been talking with Geofish about the HUB's. Anyone who has spent any time pouring lures can look at a plastic bait and reverse engineer it in their minds. I've never fished one, but I've heard good things about their effectiveness. I've considered making them myself. Can't see that you need anything more than a cup of liquid (cured) plastisol (whatever color you choose), and a small diameter plastic or metal rod that can take repeated dippings until desired thickness is achieved. Then a razor blade to make the appropriate cuts.

Geofish asked me if there was a way to make them weedless. I have come up with a way, but I'm still practicing on the wire bending technique to achieve consistency and uniformity. However, the concept and prototypes (when bent properly) work flawlessly.

BTW- these are the jig heads that are used with HUB's:
    https://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Ultra-Minnow-Jig-Mold-P214.aspx

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    I've never dealt with plastic before. But once I got my hands on some...who has time to look at videos or ask for advice?
    I got stuff to melt, dammit.

So I scorched some plastic, cooking on the electric stove in a stainless camp cup. Well, now I have some golden brown plastic for experimenting.
    Next, a small coffee cup from the lunchroom at work provided a vessel for melting and dipping. Needed to be at least 3" deep, but narrow enough so I don't have to melt 20+ ounces of plastic at a time. Microwaving for 22 seconds, stirring, and repeating gets the plastic up to temp. Go higher and there's some smoking/scorching. Your oven will be different. Added benefit of the ceramic cup was the plastic stayed hot and melty, without the hot spots that the metal cup had at the bottom.
    Did some head-scratching over the right diameter rod for dipping to match the heads I wanted to use. The tackle suppliers sell mandrels, but they're much fatter. Remember those horrible wire tent pegs you got with your backpacking tent, and immediately threw away? Wal-Mart, 48 Cents, and the perfect 3/16 diameter. My neighbor's not home so I can't use his bench grinder..but a file rounded off the pointy end just fine. Bonus: Pre-bent at the top to hang from my drying rack.
    A Pfaltzgraff plate in "Summer Breeze" pattern (pictured) is excellent for sorting parts during production. and as of last night, my credit card and I are intimately familiar with the Ultra Minnow mold.... tentpeg.jpg

#3 carpkiller, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  4. rza007

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +664
    Those look great. I’m sure fish will think the same

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,065
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Having a hard time visualizing how you made these... I pour regular plastics all the time, but how exactly do you make a tube? I've been wanting to try it out for forever.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,602
    I'm fascinated by lure making. I will bring the beer if someone wants to show how to make tube baits.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,065
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    I can't drink but I'll swing by with some plastisol to watch someone do it in person lol.

8. LilCobra

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +571
    Name:
    Dvilaysane
    Nice, just don’t put them on the market. Very smart man. I make my own rats and it’s just for me and my buddy’s, why pay 200 when I could only spend 30, right?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. zoner

zoner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Name:
    Mike
    I melted and poured lures back in the day, matter of fact i just gave my moulds away to a member here. The microwave is the ticket for melting. For melting and pouring i would troll Kobeys, look for used dishes, and buy glass Pyrex measuring cups....the one cup size. Great for melting(cuz it's Pyrex) and the little pour spout is awesome for controlling the flow........and u can get em for about a buck apiece......Mike

10. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,042
    Only downside to using plastisol you scorch is the burnt chemical smell has a tendency to permeate and stick with the plastic. I'm pretty sure the fish can taste it. To control the temp of the plastisol during the curing process, go to Harbor Freight and buy one of those cheap non contact infrared thermometers. They cost about $28. But if you use a 20% coupon you can get it for just over $20. Then you can stir the plastisol and take a temp reading to precisely control the temp and prevent scorching.

I also agree with using a Pyrex measuring cup to cure your plastisol in. I use that silicone rescue tape to wrap the handles of the Pyrex to prevent them from burning your hand.

Great job however on your replication. Looks almost identical.

11. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    So yesterday I caught 20 spotties on the new bait. But we fished for a loong time, so it worked out to three bass per hour on the water.
    Rather than just copy someone else's tube, today I wanted to fool around with some different ideas.
    Today's project involved chartreus coloring, and layered dips to produce a rat-tailed tube

180204 rattail tube jigt.jpg

There is no mold. You will dip a rod in a cup of liquid plastic. You will wear long sleeves, gloves and safety goggles or a lexan face shield. Of course you will. And if you scorch the plastic you will set off the smoke alarm, your mom or wife or roommate will kick your butt.

1. Get some plastisol. Or a cup of old plastic baits.

2. Buy some tent pegs from walmart for 48 cents. These are 3/16 of an inch for small tubes. Round off the peg's pointy ends with a file.

3. Come up with some place to hang your pegs while the plastic cools. I use a metal grate with folding legs, sold as a shelf for school lockers. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2PHXTQ/?tag=sd07e-20

4. Heat the plastisol in a coffee mug or Pyrex cup in the microwave. Go fifteen seconds at a time...stirring between heatings with a screwdriver or one of the tent pegs. NOTE: Don't freak. The clear white liquid plastic will solidify first...then the new globby crap will liquify again as you heat and stir.

5. When the plastic's liquefied, dip a peg to the depth that matches the desired length of your tube. Hot plastic=thinner coat.

6. Hang the peg wherever you're gonna hang it to cool. There will be little threads of plastic coming off the end of the tube; snip the umbilicus about a quater inch from the end of the tube. After it cools a little bit, you can snip it closer before making a second dip, if you're layering. If you want to be thicker, wait a minute and dip it again. Do NOT just dip it immediately...give the first layer a chance to harden or it will melt and the whole mess starts to slide off the peg.

7. When you've got the tube as thick as you want it, you can dip it in water to cool it. Or not.
    NOTE: Do NOT dunk a tube with drops of water on it back into the molten plastic. Unless you like molten plastic blasting into your face when the drops of water become steam.

8. If you're having trouble getting the tube off the peg, dip it in a deep container of water. Thumb and forefinger: Grab the tube at the end, hold it under the surface, and roll back and forth. Water will get into the end of the tube, and rolling it between thumb and forefinger along the length of the tube will loosen it.

Next project will involve figuring out different ways to have clear plastic over the jig head's 3D eyes. I don't know whether that will catch more fish....but if you check out the store-bought baits, the freakin' eyes follow you as you walk around the room. I want that. My drying rack and some work-in-progress tubes are below.

180204 rack w chartreuse.jpg

#11 carpkiller, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  12. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,913
    Very nice.

13. Rude Baits

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +347
    Baits look great.

I voted for "Scorchers". The story behind the first run of baits kind of names them for you! Haha. Believe me, it happens to any one who pours, injects or dips plastisol at some point in time.

Anyway, keep up the good work and tight lines.

#13 Rude Baits, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  14. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    Rube Tube*

*Cuz only a rube would pay four bucks for a tube bait....

15. Rude Baits

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +347
    Oh crap! hahaha I edited my other post because I was asleep at the wheel on that one!

I kind of like that name too! haha

16. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,042

Instead of "dipping" in alternative colors, try using "Alumidust" from Alumilite Corp. It's a powder colorant you can use to decorate or color your lures in whatever pattern you like. Then after you color the tubes, give them one or 2 more final dips in CLEAR plastisol to lock in the colors. By using Alumidust, you can get very precise and creative with patterns. You will be able to achieve looks WAYYYYYY beyond what you can by using colored plastic alone.

17. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    Foamy old bean you have no IDEA of the nightmares I had last night about creating patterns just by dipping and trimming. Maybe even do a checkerboard pattern. It's possible in theory. But like fly fishing or building ships in bottles...why bother? Ima see how much weirdness can be created with dipping in layers.

18. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,179
    Where do you get the plastic stuff you are melting?

19. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,042
    There are hundreds of suppliers of virgin plastisol. They come in several different variations of softness. Or you can just purchase hardener and softener and adjust the dexterity of the lure yourself.

20. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,042
    I've got an idea. Call them homemade hook up baits. Because that's what they are. I know a lot of guys on here give the inventor of this bait a hard time about some poaching mumbo jumbo. But lets be honest with each other, if you have a qualm with this guy, but you continue to use his baits, you're biting the hand that feeds you.

Lets give the guy credit. As simple as the concept is, it's PROVEN to work. This guy created something that works. He's making money from it. If you decide to make your own version, then fine. But give credit where credit is due, and don't undermine his business. I'm not saying that's what you're doing CK. But I do think you should just call the lures homemade versions of the Hook Up Baits. And make them for yourself, or for your friends to save them money.

Just my $.02