Hot new lure...

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by carpkiller, Feb 2, 2018.

?

Name for my version....

1. Scorchers

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Spotted Spotty Scorchers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rube Tubes

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. OCD Tubes

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,067
    After carefully tracking how long it took for me to pour the jigheads, trim the lead, stick on the eyes, dip the tubes, install the heads inside....here are some numbers.
    Materials cost: 34 cents, with the hooks I like. (bear in mind I already own the jighead mold.) (edit: crap. the heavy wire Sohumi hooks are no longer available)
    74 cents if you wanted to sell these baits, with a quality name-brand hook. (Edit: Owners are good, but cost five to six times as much as the Sohumis. And my experiments with longer shanked hooks were not failures...but not fully successful. Too easy to bend if you have to pry 'em out of a bony spot...)
    Figuring casual but semi-skilled labor is worth 15 bucks an hour, plus materials, and the cost per unit jumps to $2.74.
    The business plan for Scorcherz Tube Baits is shaky at this point. I'm not quitting my day job.....

"You want fries with that?"

#21 carpkiller, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,067
    Hiya.... I have had good service from Jann's Netcraft and Barlow's Tackle. The latter sell the tougher saltwater plastic for 18 bucks a quart. Barlow's is really good about answering dumb questions via email.
    But if you have a pile of old plastics, a wire tent peg, a microwave or camp stove, and a coffee cup you can start experimenting....

3. localfishinboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +521
    Can u remelt zmans with their elastic whatever stuff? Or just regular saltwater plastics?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,067
    Dunno. I don't have enough of those to try it.

5. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,067
    ScorcherZ.

ScorcherZ.

ScorcherZ.

guy asked me how to make a tube lure. I said search scorcherz....wanted to make sure he'd find this link.

#25 carpkiller, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,276
    Here is how tube baits can be rigged weedless: Top Secret! The Stupid Tube Rig – Ike's Fishing Blog . Should work with these baits too.

7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,067
    thanks for the reminder. I have some of those leadheads...and yeah, even looked at buying a mold. certainly would allow me to fish the tubes in the grass. But they don't have that sweet darting action. With three rods, I could set up on ScorcherZ tube for the grass...another with the darting-action Ultra minnow head for the muddy bottoms.

#27 carpkiller, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  8. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,067
    Getting lazy...and using up all the clear prototype baits from the last production run. Leaving the bellies and tails mostly clear, and using Spike-It pens to add a green, blue, or red back...
    I am not sure color makes a difference, but coloring tube baits keeps me outta the pool halls.... 20220126_204035.jpg

That's one of the tube molded on a hex shaped mandrel (fancy word for a tent peg)....with six flat surfaces inside. The flats reflect light....which might add a little more attraction as the bait moves past or over a fish.... 20220126_204102[1].jpg

#28 carpkiller, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  9. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,276
    The clear ones you gave me worked very well. Not sure there is a reason to color them. I did glue some eyes onto the jig heads. Some fish have black dots on their tails, apparently to fool predators into biting the wrong end so I think eyes help. Clear makes it easier for fish to see the eyes on the jig head.

fish with eye on tail - Google Search