How 'bout those Padres!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fisheromen, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,012
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Hosmer, a Padre??? World Series here we come!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,152
    I like Hosmer but I would have liked seeing them take that money and pick up 2 decent pitchers such as Lance Lynn and Alex Cobb I think we might have been able to keep it interesting for a majority of the season, you never know a couple of injuries to the other teams in our league we might have had a chance for a wild card.

#2 Vito1023, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,558
    Caminiti/Finley/Greene... great years.

SD is a fair-weather sports city. If the team is doing good, all of the fair-weather fans come out of the woodwork and get on the fun (sometimes alcohol-driven) bandwagon. When they are sucking, everyone abandons them - unless the tickets were given to them for free. I just got tired of seeing it. The hardcore, devout fans deserve a team they can be proud of. The fair-weather fans deserve nothing more than an A-ball club - if that much.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,475
    I wasn't too thrilled about the prospects of acquiring Hosmer, and I'm still not that excited about it, however he is supposedly a great clubhouse guy, and a team leader with a world series ring. Those are two things, which don't show up in the stat columns, but can play a part in the development of the young players currently on the team, as well as the wave of young talent that will be arriving in the next couple of years.

Again, I'm not too excited about the signing, but I am excited about the Padres minor league system, and their future. It should start getting fun around here again. It might not be until next year, but there are some young and exciting players that, barring injuries, should start arriving either this year or next.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,482
    There were probably better players available for cheaper on the market, but his intangibles (clubhouse demeanor, leadership) I think were the big buy in. One more year to season the arms we have down in the minors, get the guys we already have on the major league level another year to get up to speed, and I think the Padres will surprise a lot of people. NL West is set to be stacked deep with pretty much every team being able to compete for the playoffs the next couple years. The strategy of waiting out and stacking the minors like crazy is going to pay off. Its been worth rooting for them already, its gonna be exciting the next few years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,475
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Go chargers.. And take the padres with you.. Wait.. What? Half my hopes came true? Maybe we CAN get a bull ring and intn'l soccer arena here in SD.. then again..

7. Urklehaze

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +762
    I quit caring about baseball when Gwynn retired. I tune in once in a while to hear his son talk.
    Best time was when henderson was on the team.
    No... soccer...ever...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. JA$0N

JA$0N Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +57
    I totally agree with you. The problem isn't the Padres or the fans, the real problem is MLB. Since they don't have a "salary cap" like the NFL does, the teams with all the money (Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers) can sign all the great players (Giancarlo Stanton) and only get punished by paying a "competitive balance tax". It's obvious that this so called tax isn't working because it seems that all the same teams are in the playoffs every year while teams like the Padres struggle to compete for leftover crumbs of veteran players out there. Could they spend more money on players, sure. We've seen that a couple of years ago with Kemp and Shields, but then the bottom fell out and they reversed course. And if they're not going to put forth an "effort" to put quality players on the field, why should I bother to pay my hard earned money to buy a ticket and watch them? I don't, and that's why I don't go or really watch them on TV anymore.

9. Rokbury14

Rokbury14 I never have to feel like that again
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,217
    Name:
    Steve
    Ok...here I go.....

I understand the skeptical attitude this town has about our ball club. Its well deserved. We haven't had an owner who cared about winning since Ray Krok died. Just a revolving door of jacka**'s spending money on past their prime stars n poor drafts. John Moors spent million on a academy in the DR only to shut it down cuz it cost to much. .......Phooey......
    So lets look at TODAY'S Ownership. For the first time EVER it's a local. Fowler made his beans here, raised his kids here, lives here. Yeah....the the thing wth Kemp n Shields, Kimbrel didn't work, but ownership TRIED. That's a lot more than we're used to n people are still gripping about it. So management breaks them up n goes youth. Spends a ton on kids. We lose 90 games. How much would the Japanese guy cost? More than Hosmer. At least there involved. I like the deal. The Mike Trout level free agents are out next year. Sign one of them? Not a snowballs chance. Did they over pay? Hell yea....but EVERY ballplayer is over priced. It's the market. But get a guy in his prime on a team friendly front loaded contract when all the other guys are out of reach to bridge the gap till all the kids get here is a move I like. I like the direction. I have have expectations now. Which is a lot more than any one of us could say not so long ago. Quit bellyaching about the past n about the people who are no longer here. Lets look towards the future. That's why the windshield is bigger than the rear view mirror.
    Just my dos pesos
    Thanks for listening

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  10. Ordane

Ordane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188
    Don Orcillo was on 1090 this morning talking about fishing! Apparently he goes out and fishes the bay for spotties every morning in his paddle boat!

11. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,482
    Haha, I actually went through and listened to that interview. Thats pretty awesome.

12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,558
    I like the sound of what you said. I always look at things from a very human standpoint - train of thought being, no matter who we are, our turds all stink the same.

Ballplayers. High-paid. That money's coming from somewhere. And MLB.. it's a business. People (owners) are in business to make money - first thing I learned in business class. If any business owner tells you anything different, they're lying. What we need to never lose sight of is, as tremendous athletes they may be, baseball players are simply paid entertainers. They're going to go with the team that offers the most money and incentives. To them and their agents, its a business - just like any other business out there. There are exceptions to that I believe (Gwynn - he could have gone anywhere).. but very few - and far between.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,012
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Fair weather is probably why that is the case. We've got plenty of things to do under the sun.

14. JA$0N

JA$0N Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +57
    I could care less either way because the Padres will be out of it after the first month of the season anyways, and then we can all go back to the reason we're on this site. And that's fishing.