How long to keep fish

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Bird334, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +788
    I am planning a fishing trip up north. If I catch a bunch of rockfish, how many days can I keep in ice cooler without going bad? Before you get home to freeze it.

#1 Bird334, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  2. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,534
    Name:
    Kyle
    They say you can refrigerate fish a few days but I would be concerned that a cooler would be cold enough to keep fish for days at a time. I am no expert, but you would have to keep it pretty cold. No place where you can put it in a fridge anywhere? If you are in a hotel, you can request one with a fridge.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,935
    If you can get some dry ice.........and put them in a styrofoam container and seal it maybe????
    Deb ordered steaks a couple times from Omaha Steaks and they notify you when the package will be delivered. I was there and the steaks were still frozen inside when I opened up the styrofoam container. It was like putting my hand in a freezer. There was a block of dry ice sealed in a plastic wrap on the bottom.
    I was amazed...but it worked. Anyway...just a thought.
    This is what they come in.
    styrofoam-cooler-from-Omaha-Steaks.jpg

#3 VinnyBass, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,873
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Mix of ice and dry ice will freeze them solid in a commercial grade foam cooler. Remember, small coolers packed well are generally more efficient than a huge cooler poorly packed.. ice on bottom, dry ice on top, occupy all empty space with towels if possible....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,935
    Dang....can a guy find a pic online to put on his post before you respond? ha ha. I think you have hired about 10 guys to play like they are you Coach because nobody can be that quick and respond to things all over this site...ha ha :)
    Anyway....tell the guys you hired they are doing a great job!

6. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,873
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I went back for an edit while you wrote that... Hahahaha

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,718
    I’ve taken several 7-8 day trips down to Mexico ( 93 was my last trip ). We took a 110 qt ice chest just for fish only.. we would buy bulk block ice and kept our fillets in layers. Fish / ice fish / ice etc.. some of the first caught were on ice for almost a week.. not frozen, but damn close to it. Fish were cleaned every day, and sealed in freezer bags before layering.. ( we ate lots of fish on the trip as well..). Anyway, it worked for us, and I vacuum sealed all fish after getting back to California. Nowadays.. I give it 3 day max before freezing, and I usually vacuum seal most fish on the first day and leave a bunch to gorge on until day 3 hits...

8. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,718
    The more days that go by in the fridge, The fishier the flavor. IMO.. still good though..

9. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +788
    Okay, thanks for the responses, much appreciated. I am taking an eight day trip from South Orange County to San Francisco. Fishing piers, jetty, surf and sports boats. Will mainly be catch and release. But in Santa Cruz a half day boat of rock fishing, I will have lots of filets, I think I will not worry about them, just give them away to people fishing on pier. But I have a all day boat on Hulu Cat in Half Moon bay, I will use these strategies to keep them 3 days. The last day will be I think the name is California Dawn in San Francisco Bay, for halibut, but that's only a day so I don't have to worry about that so much.

10. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,873
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Btw Bird334 if you order anything from Schwans you can get one of the styro coolers for free, if you're too poor for Omaha steaks, lol.. can always grab some butter, seasoning, foil and some charcoal and have a BBQ at the local park with part of your catch. Delicious, fresh, easy and cheap...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,869
    One thing that helps is to drain the water from the cooler and replace with fresh ice as it melts. Gut and gill the fish As well. Or even just fillet and keep in freezer bags.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List