How many of you use or have used buoy markers?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by spoonminnow, Jun 23, 2019.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +945
    It's been a while since I used them, but last week an experience justified me carrying them in the boat.

It was windy, cloudy threatening rain and I was getting ready to give up after only catching a dozen panfish and a few small bass. I've learned that whenever a weather front is imminent, fish tend to come out of nowhere and hit like no tomorrow. This was the situation when I started drifting along a shoreline in 7' casting into open water - not near the shore. A school of decent size crappie hit my soft plastics and I threw a buoy marker. I drifted further along still catching crappie (must have been on hell of a school !) and 30 yds away marked the school with another marker.

The markers told me:
    1. depth of water fish were in
    2. distance away from shore (about 25-30 yds)
    3. school size or at least various school locations in the same stretch of water
    4. direction to cast

In this case with the wind blowing at 15 mph and me forgetting the anchor, markers were needed so as to be able to know exactly the location fish were biting. Once I drift away from the school or loose groups of fish, most likely landmarks aren't usually remembered for triangulating. I don't have a sophisticated sonar and go by fish symbols to locate fish in an area. No fish of any size on the sonar/ no fish in the immediate area regardless how many casts around the boat.

With thunder alerting me to get off the water, I found another school close to the boat launch, caught six fish and booked. It rained hard on the way home and I can imagine the soaking I would have got if I stayed.

In conclusion, markers are rarely needed in my experience except to mark the extent of a breakline or marking the dimensions of a hump or other structure. But in the case I gave, the extent and location of schooled fish not relating to structure required markers without owning a GPS sonar. Too many times I'll catch fish one after another but while photographing the fish with lure stuck in it lip and then releasing the fish, the boat drifts and I'll forget where to cast. Mark It Damn It ! is my motto.

BTW, there is a cheap and easy way to make your own marker if anyone is interested that stores easier than the H shaped markers. I use a kid's swim noodle, tape, string, a weight, and heavy duty nails:
    21zS5w1.jpg

As soon as I drifted past the fish in this image, I caught fish
    MUSvx3L.jpg

#1 spoonminnow, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  2. Bassmagnum

Bassmagnum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Name:
    Captain Ross E Mariano
    Even with advanced as technology has become I still use them fishing offshore humps and island. I drop it off from where I'm actually going to fish and use it as a reference point for casting

3. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +945
    Same here.