How To Buy Fishing Clothes At Thrift Stores

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by MattL, Jul 10, 2018.

1. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,217
    Name:
    MattL
    I have a side business reselling things I find at thrift stores on Ebay. Most of what I sell is clothing. The purpose of this thread is to show you that you can find about 95% of all the clothing you need for fishing at thrifts, instead of buying it retail. Outdoor clothing is gouge priced even more severely than everyday clothing, which is already unreasonably marked up.

I spent part of today buying inventory for the side business. I saw so many articles of fishing-related clothing in the first thrift store I hit that I decided to photograph everything I noticed in the second one.

These pics were all taken in about half an hour of browsing. I snapped photos of most of the outdoors-specific brands I found. Not pictured are all the athletic brands that could just as easily work for functional fishing apparel. Also not pictured are items that are redundant within a brand, i.e. I found a ton of Eddie Bauer and L.L. Bean but am only showing one or two pics.

Keep in mind that nothing pictured cost more than $10. Average price is $5 or less.

KAc6IV6.jpg
    Eddie Bauer fleece

36mfPFf.jpg
    Eddie Bauer fleece #2

frm42Uv.jpg
    Marmot t-shirt

skBPqxK.jpg
    Marmot t-shirt #2

5PxBTE2.jpg
    Vented Wrangler short-sleeve outdoors shirt

Y3WG3l9.jpg
    L.L. Bean shirt, short sleeve

F34dJPQ.jpg
    REI flannel

SgJkSzH.jpg
    New with tags Orvis long-sleeve shirt

EEAa2lJ.jpg
    Free Ride outdoors pants

Relevant extras:
    0VfvFK6.jpg
    Bunch of brand new hats

GNAtlgp.jpg
    Speedo polarized glasses

6j2UdnE.jpg
    Old Quantum reel (would have gotten it but anti-reverse was busted)

I drove to get lunch and stopped into a nearby thrift for about ten minutes. Found the rest of this in that time:

3MI6MVs.jpg
    Wrangler Rugged Wear shirt

EYKEIkJ.jpg
    Field & Stream duffel bag ($20)

ALBoTLt.jpg
    Outdoor Life long-sleeve shirt

Uyq93iB.jpg
    3 Mountain Hard Wear t-shirts

TXNyK7L.jpg
    Ex Officio vented long sleeve shirt

And last, but most importantly...

6Lk0kZr.jpg
    Gentlemen, friends, brothers - I have done what was previously unthinkable. I bought this pair of (brand new) Under Armour underwear for $2. I am wearing them as I type and am very happy with my purchase.

Point of all the above being: there's a surplus of nice clothing in San Diego thrift stores. These are not exceptional results. I'd expect to find about that much stuff on any given outing, and sometimes it's much more impressive. It's almost impossible to browse through any given thrift without finding at least a few pieces like the ones shown here, or better. I've found much higher dollar brands than these. Including Simms, Arcteryx, Patagonia.

Shirts and jackets are easiest. Then shorts. Then shoes. Then long pants (excepting jeans, which are beyond easy to find).

If you're grossed out by the idea of wearing someone else's clothes, don't be. I realize you're fielding that piece of advice from someone wearing thrift store underwear, but I assure you it's fine as long as you wash what you buy. 99% of my wardrobe is from thrift stores at this point and I have never had a single issue.

Hope this inspires. If you have a little bit of time and a little bit of patience, you'll never have to buy new clothing again.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    Hahahhahaha...sorry, I lost it at the thrift store underwear part ...

Interesting stuff but I find your side hustle more interesting

3. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,217
    Name:
    MattL
    Reselling clothes is a ton of work for low profit margins. It works for me because I'm a habitual thrifter to begin with.

• Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    Multiple income streams...I’ve looked into the Ebay thing and find the results vary...

5. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,217
    Name:
    MattL
    Hard goods are more profitable than clothing but typically less consistent in terms of sourcing. Clothing is the easiest to find but has a very steep learning curve and generally low profits. If you have expertise in something really specific like bike parts or vintage toys or something like that, and can find the stuff reliably, then it might be worth it.

6. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,477
    Name:
    Larry M
    I buy my long sleeve shirts for working in the yard from thrift stores. T-shirts also.
    I've posted this before, I look for fishing poles and Penn reels to rebuild. Hobby of mine.
    Now I'm getting these ads, thanks a lot!!!
    LOL

Screenshot_2018-07-10-20-00-46-1.png

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,217
    Name:
    MattL
    The exact same banner ad is displaying for me right under your post. At least he reads.

What kind of rods do you look for?

8. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    Okay so y’all are getting dude in underwear ads too right?

9. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    Are those used?

10. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,217
    Name:
    MattL
    You all fell into my trap.

11. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    Oh crap it’s a selfie? Bro I believed you didn’t need the visual proof..

Let’s try something else...hot chick in bikini...hot chick in bikini.. hot chick in bikini hot chick in bikini

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,217
    Name:
    MattL
    Yes, that is definitely me. I am a hot single guy hot single guy hot single guy hot single guy hot single guy hot single guy

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    Ahahhahahaaa...noooooooooooooo

14. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,477
    Name:
    Larry M
    I don’t really need any more, thanks.
    I have some that still need work.
    I just look to see what they have and if I see somthing good I'll pick it up. I'm addicted to it. LOL
    I did a fly rod for someone from work once, never again to hard with little guides and thin thread.
    Did a brand name two piece surf rod also for someone from work that we picked up from a swap meet. He wasn't going to buy it because it was in bad shape. I said if you don’t buy it I will, he was very pleased after it was done. I just do basic wraps, that's all you really need.
    I never charged for my work, just material. For me it was just fun to do in my spare time.
    Don't really feel like doing much of anything anymore. LOL

15. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    Cmon man now he’s doing different poses

16. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,217
    Name:
    MattL
    I don't see him anymore. He must like you.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,143
    If you know what your looking for you can make a killing at those places if you put the time in. My old neighbor in AZ lived off just that, took me to the goodwill on like 1 dollar tuesdays or something like that and I got a perfect set of waders. Looked them up online and brand new they were 150.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,217
    Name:
    MattL
    That's awesome. You find stuff like that on a surprisingly regular basis once you get into the swing of it. If you go out thrifting multiple times a week and have a good eye you will inevitably find those holy grails.

19. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +190
    I love the thrift stores as well. Find lots of great deals along with lots of junk. What gets me is that I see people buying clothes there all the time, mostly off brand stuff that is in okay condition. But I can go through the same rack and pick out a few banana republic sweaters, some really nice levis and a CK jacket for my wife and theyre all priced the same. My biggest issue is that I always find nice stuff that doesn't fit.... I buy roof racks and other outdoor equipment too. I haven't really found any fishing stuff worth picking up though.

A few months ago, I picked up this Vulcan gattling nerf gun for 10 bucks, had 100 darts and the batteries were still good. I looked it up online when I got home and its on ebay for over 150$ because they stopped making them!

20. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,477
    Name:
    Larry M
    Fishing stuff is like hen's teeth, I always look because you never know.