HOW TO MURDER OFFSHORE FISH! Saucy Sarcasm Included

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Fat Spottie, May 10, 2019.

1. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,944
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    STEP 1: BUY A $600 REEL

STEP 2: BUY A $500 ROD

STEP 3: BRAID BRAID BR-*gets violently beaten over the head*

Okay people, we need to have a serious conversation here regarding fishing gear. To every hype man out there, quit telling everyone who wants to get into fishing to spend over a thousand dollars on a single set of equipment.

Fishing can be an expensive hobby, no doubt about that. The more you fish the more you realize that fishing a different piece of equipment can make a difference in how you perform in an angler. It may be marginal, but whether it's a confidence issue or makes an actual performance difference, it will factor into how you fish. With that being said, for people getting into fishing and not understanding what they may want in their gear it's ridiculous to tell them to spend over $500 on their first piece of gear. What if it turns out that rod is to heavy for them, it fishes to hard, doesn't fish hard enough, doesn't load up correctly? All these little factors that end up as a expensive mistake. Don't tell them to get the most expensive thing possible, your experiences and preferences are not the same as yours. Telling someone to buy a $300 reel based on personal preference is one thing, especially if said person has no idea what a reel may feel like fishing. If a person is looking for a reel for a specialized purpose.. and understands what they are looking for, that's different.

The reason I feel like this rant session is necessary is that too often people will go out fishing for the first time only to find out what they bought sucks for what they are doing. I'm talking Komodo's on the bow, Squall 60's on the flyline, TranX 300s on the yoyo... 10ft jig sticks on the dropper loop. Seriously, knock it off. Recently the Belle anchored off Pukey and some poor soul heard on this forum the Komodo was a great surface iron reel, a real casting monster. Unfortunately, the conditions and the yellowtail both said you sucked at casting outside. In this situation, you could have literally used a Penn Jigmaster 506 as the better reel. A proven reel that you can buy for $80 on ebay. I'm just sayin... encourage people to find what works for them rather then insisting on a $300 reel.

I personally feel like I could take out a Penn 500 with some old 8ft ulgystick and outfish every person who I see recommending that $300 reel or $500 rod from being around those personalities.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • List
  2. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,893
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Amen brother...

I got a lot of satisfaction early on when I just started to get a feel for my fishing style when I would post up on the bow with my $30 used jigmaster on my $125 used pinhead D8 and out cast/out catch the dudes with trinidads and super seekers.

I started with a used silver torium 14 for $120 and a used blue lightning for $120 when I decided I wanted to buy my own gear. I filled it with braid initially and quickly took half the spool of braid off. I would topshot it with 30# and tie smaller leaders if need be and it worked fishing bait for anything from calicos/sandbass/sculpin, to yellows at the islands. And I could strip the mono and splice the top half of braid back on the night before a bottom fishing trip and never see the knot. I just learned to tie and re-tie quickly if I needed to change presentation. Not ideal, but oh well.

Then as I got a feel for how I liked to fish, I slowly started adding setups for whatever style of fishing I was interested in learning. Next one for me was that D8 and an okuma cortez 10....I could fish surface iron and yoyo with that....those two setups had me covered for a long time. And that used cortez was only $80 bucks.

All my rods and reels have been purchased used with the exception of a silver lexa 300 when turners had one of those specials where it was like 100 bucks. I have never spend more than $180 bucks on anything. And I am covered for 15# to 80#. Only really am in need of a setup for the larger tuna....but I don't get the chance all that often so I end up investing in other rods or reels for specific techniques that I want to try or want a better rod for my style of that technique.

100% agree that you don't need to drop a ton of cash. Sh*t I don't even own a 2 speed and it hasn't been an issue for fish up to 100#. Just paid attention, asked questions, watched and learned and figured out how to do it the right way, instead of thinking the gear will do all the work.

All that being said, the gear is just tools....specific tools for specific jobs....so yes, the more expensive stuff is worth it at a certain point....but that point isnt when you are brand new. You aren't going to jump into a race car and tear it up at the track when the only driving you have ever done is in a parking lot a couple times in your dads Geo Metro....

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,948
    Just wanted to add big fan of the 506.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,944
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Was my first jig and flyline reel... everything about it felt good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,572
    I'll be honest, I say a lot of nice things about Komodos on this board. I like them, and I think they are very good for lots of applications. However, I would never tell someone it is a casting monster. It isn't (unless we're talking pitching sardines). Also, I got mine used for like $160. Would never tell someone to pay retail for it (or anything, really).

If you want to throw iron with it, just know you're not going to throw them very far. On the other hand, they're good for live bait (mostly what I use it for).

upload_2019-5-10_16-17-38.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,944
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    I’m not saying it is a bad reel, it’s just not for casting. At all. It’s got a decent set of guts and the only thing I would ever use it for a yo-yo. Aside from that... I’ve fished Lexa 400 on fish up to 83lbs on one... so have my Revos. As long as you’re fishing the drags of 30-40lb line at most you’re fine. Point being it’s an example of someone buying the wrong gear at a more expensive price then what they could have used as a better alternative.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +42,825
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Komodo, lexa and tranx are all fine for what they are for. A ten foot stick is fine for what it is for, too. The really bad thing is the elitism, hatred of the rookies (which we all were at one time) and the refusal of this new type of fisherman to share real info, intel and even *gasp* a willingness to serve. It's one thing to make a post with pix of a bunch of big fish, another entirely to help out someone new to the sport and put them on a few.. If the fishing ever totally goes away, you sorry pukes have no one but yourself to blame. I try to do my part, do you?

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,944
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Well that’s aside from the point, people trying to get into fishing are pretty much led to fk up from the beginning from those even willing to share... they all fit a certain personality as well. I always try to get people to get two things, a open faced reel that holds about 300 yards of 30lb mono, and a 7-8ft stick that fishes about 20-50lbs. Tell me.. is there much of anything that can’t be done in our local waters with a rig like that? With where I work do you really think I want to set people up for failure? I make money of their success (98% of the time). A ten foot stick is out of the way... and there isn’t much point to using a Lexa or TranX unless your fishing bass (in my opinion... you know I do quite a bit of bass fishing as well). It’s just fishing simple. Shyt my first soft plastic reel was an open faced reel and it did great. I found the next level wind I got did better. Then the Lexa did better... I found a pattern I liked.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +42,825
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    It's still the elitist mindset of our local fishing idiots causing the problem. And yes, Mr Hub, the WB god, the c and r only yahoos and others of like mind are driving this excessive stupidity through sheer greed and ignorance. Licence sales decrease every year, do you think this trend is going to turn around? How? You know better than almost anyone, when a noob wants to get into half and three quarter day fishing, what do I tell them? I tell them I will get them a combo that can do almost anything from my personal stash for 40-60$, see what they like doing, and go from there.. To me, that is a VERY reasonable sentiment....

10. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,944
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Yeah, which is typically some jigmaster and some 7ft rod right? I’m happy sharing information regarding fishing.. and I’m not the one who dominates SoCal social media scene selling 10ft Uluas and overpriced reels just to hype up one species of jack. As much as I do love fishing the surface iron... my heart lays with some under water rocks and a grumpy green bass. I understand that it’s the people who advocate for a certain type of fishing that are making it as expensive as it is, but at the same time I think it’s the people who actually put in the work who make a difference for those willing to reach out. But then again... how many people want to put in that effort.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +666
    If you spend more money on trips than gear..... you are bound to get more fish...nice rods that sit in the closet dont get bit much

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  12. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,368
    Penn Squidder on the bass rod, lol. That post was cute. He had the right idea, execution just a little bassackwards I guess. Innocent ignorance. Good to see no one tore him a new one...

13. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,944
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    It's a shame because the OG Trinidads where the reel when I was about 7 or 8... the fishiest people I know of fish those reels and love them for what they are.

14. 1956bill

1956bill Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +89
    But then where will I get all my high end used gear that I can’t afford?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,944
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Then there is this guy... thinking ahead of the curve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,047
    You get for what you pay for

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,528
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    This is why I like Fly fishin. Its just so simple :emoji_rolling_eyes:

18. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,850
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Yea right , 4 wt , 6Wt 10 Wt ? Single hand , Double hand ? Traditional or Skagit ? Floating , Sinking , Intermediate . Full length or Shooting head . That doesn't even start to get to what presentation on the end of the leader . I do love the sport all aspects of it ! Simple indeed ! Tight lines .

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,528
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    For those who like to continually learn fly fishin would be the sport for them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,766
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    What’s being discussed in this post is very interesting. I think we can all agree that proper fishing education is what will make or break the sport of fishing. Heck...I believe that is what SDFish ultimately does. Most of the information you glean from reading the various posts is helpful and makes you a better fisherman.

Many years ago I was in a far away city and visited a big box sporting good store. Sporting goods store draw me like a magnet but at the time I found most of the employees that worked in these stores were rather snobbish and acted like they were far superior. They intimidated you the minute they opened their mouth. I’m sure you have all experienced this.

But in this particular store, as I walked the hundreds of feet of fishing tackle, I found an older guy in the panfish section that looked like what you would think a grandfather should look like. He appeared to be trying to decide which lure to buy. He introduced himself as “Bob” and asked me if I knew anything about fishing for panfish. I told him I had caught a few. He told me how he used the particular lure he was holding, the line size, the reel and rod he used and even pulled out a a spool of fishing line and showed how to tie a knot. It finally hit me that this old gentleman wasn’t a customer, he worked as a salesman in the store. No pressure, no haughty attitude, just down to earth good advice that came from a guy that had been there and done that. I was hooked, and bought a whole bag of stuff that I had confidence in because Bob said it would work....and it did.

I used that same technique years later to increase sales in 1,850 Walmart stores. They agreed to stock five different products in five colors in all of their stores if they would allow us to send a person to spend one day in each of their stores to educate customers in the art of fishing. We not only pushed our products, we answered questions about everything in the fishing tackle department and yes, we showed the customers how to tie knots. We also educated the person in charge of sporting goods. As a result, every store we visited recorded a 500% increase in sales of fishing tackle for that day and increased sales for weeks afterward.

Education, education, education!

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List