"How to" part two

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by Paul the Great, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Paul the Great

Paul the Great Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +318
    The Manhattan project has a team of scientist working 'round the clock in my garage. Our tools include a drill, two-part epoxy glue, giant heavy bolts, 3M reflective tape, ropes, 2" PVC pipe, big heavy washers, and Hamms or Coors light.

Purchase the above and work in this order: Turn on the satalite radio, open a beer, plug in the Hamms lights and neon beer signs, and get to work.

Have the wives gaggle upstairs with all the kids running around sounding like they are smashing down the walls, crying, fighting, flying off the trampoline, and somehow dumping the entire crate of Legos all over the kitchen table. Makes no difference, by this time, beer number two is open and you and your buddy dont give a rats azz about Mitt Romneys stand on the pill, the market going up and down 200 points every other day, or that Jessica Simpson is pregnant. (Lucky B@stard!)

Rev up that drill with a 1/4" bit and sink it in the bottom of the 5"x11" bouy right at the bottom of the 1/2" PVC pipe that will stand verticle. Drill that hole into the bouy about 4 inches and then slam in the big bolt. This will be your ballast. The weight of the bolt will sink and the PVC pipe will stand up above the water 100% of the time. On top of that PVC pipe, drill a little hole about a inch down so a tiny zip tie can hold in the glow stick.

Poke the pulling rope through the center hole of the 5"x11" bouy. Have the tag end go out the flat end and the working end running out of the pointed end. The pointed end points to the trap, and this is the side you pull. Take the tag end and tie a figure 8 and leave 2 feet of tag. Run the tag back through the figure 8 (follow through) and have the washers in the center loop. This will allow the free line to self-tension itself and hang verticaly from the bouy.

Two things happen with this system. One, the bouy is right on top of the trap ALL THE TIME. There is no slack line and there is no angle. Two, the washer end hangs down in the water columm and never gets tangled in your prop or anyone elses prop. Unless a retard runs your lighted bouy over, there is no slack floating on the water to tangle anything. Tight and to the point.

When you pull the bouy, grab the working end and have someone else tend the washer end. Flake out the rope in the boat at your feet with the bouy at the rail. Then when you check the trap, you can take the bugs out, then drop the trap right back down, flop the bouy back in the water and launch the washers out to sea away from your boat. The bouy will follow the trap and look like a motorized craft following the trap to its resting spot.

THE LOBSTER BOMB Invented by paulfishes. I took 2" PVC and drill random holes in the pipe and caps. Smash in all your bait. Zip tie the bomb to the bottom of your trap. Use dikes to cut off the zip ties at the end of the night, put back in the chest freezer, DONE. No more stuffing worthless bait cages that the sea lions can eat, no more repacking bait in the dark while your trying to stay in the boat. No more lost bait. I dont even glue the caps on. They are tight. Ive used the same bait 5 trips in a row now. Frozen, thawed, used, frozen, and so on. Why change anything? This is sea lion proof.

Then I numbered all my bouys with reflective tape. I did odds in silver and evens in red. This way I can pull up to the trap and see which number it is and leave it or pull it depending on how long it soaked. I line my bouys up and deploy them in a runway fasion. All in a line. 30 yards apart. After a few laps of pulling, some get out of whack and go squirrly, so numbers rule, as you dont pull one too early. How long? 10 or 15 minutes is plenty of time to soak a trap. Trust me, I know everything. Last outing my buddy pulled a flat trap that had been down for 10 minutes and had 4 legals inside! A personal record in one pull.

numbersystem.jpg
    baitbomb.jpg
    ballasthighflyer.jpg

Bonus tips! Lobster myths debunked. Lobster facts.
    Lobster do not migrate. Stupid idea. They find a home and rarely go more than 600m in search of food, and then they come back before it gets light. They roam in a large circle usually, in a group, and they go as fast as you walk. Ive picked up lobsters in tipepools in the winter and summer. They are in one foot of water and they are out on the Cortez bank. They dont go back and forth.

Bigger lobsters have no predators. Of some 4,000 tagged lobsters, one went missing. Nothing is eating lobsters except humans.

Lobster tomally is poisonous. False. Eat it. Its the pancrease and liver kind of. The organ filters out all toxins from the lobster. No part of a lobster is toxic or poisonous. A dead lobster is not poisonous. You can thaw them out. Like every restaraunt in the world does, and you can add tomally, like every chef does for bisque and other fine recipies.

Lobsters cant be aged. A marine biologist can guess and presume, but thats as good as it gets. Lobsters tend to get wider and heavier the older they get.

Gennerally, a legal 3.25 TCL lobster is 7 to 11 years old and may have molted up to 40 times.

Juvinal lobster are transparent and spend the first few months of their lives drifting in the currents. There will always be new lobsters to take the place of captured/removed lobster.

Lobster can burry themselves in sand/mud/silt while they have a soft shell, or any time they feel like it. Larger lobsters need no shelter and they tend to be lone wolves and roam as they please at night and follow no order.

Lobster fishing sucks during a full moon. Well, if your a lobster it sucked for you the last two nights I went on a full moon. See teh photos in my earlier post. Also got that 7 pounder on a full moon. Go when you can.

Lobster fishing is no good during a red tide. Wrong.

Lobster fishing is no good in an outgoing tide. Wrong.

Lobster fishing is best in a storm and rain. What? Rain? Thay are already wet, and they dont know its raining on the surface. You wanna go hoop in a storm? Go for it. Ill read about the idiots that capsized the boat and two guys died cuz they drownd. Its a friggen bug, a decapod, in the spider family of arachnids. Im not dying over a critter. However, I can swim. But then again, people will still vote for Obama again, so basicly, people are stupid.

What about spots? If you cant find 10,000 lobster bouys floating in the kelp from LA to Mexico, and figure it out from there...

If you still cant catch them, you suck, and need to book a trip with me. You will trade me something or pay for the entire cost of the trip. This brain of mine is not cheap and my back and boat dont run on "thanks".

Raiders suck.

• Like Like x 15
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    More good stuff Paul. I'll pin it to the top with the Part 1 post. I like the PVC pipe drilled. That should be seal proof. I have seen seals bring my hoop to the surface with the bait cage in their mouth. I guess nothing is seal proof...

mick

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. ahowler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +50
    Hey Paul thats a low shot calling Lawman a retard!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Lawman

Lawman Attorney at Law
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +415
    Boat:
    CC
    Its a sick happening that you are promoting meat hunting in its most primeval form and fashion. Hoop-netting is the lowest form of meat hunting. Just the idea makes me sick. Why don't you man up in a wetsuit and dive at night and catch the little creatures with your hands. Hoop-netters are a segment of anglers I loath. If you had gone to college, you could simply afford to buy a Maine lobster at Dobsons enjoyed with a nice Mussel Bisque in the company of a beautiful women. But, no, you insist on cold nights, getting dirty, drinking beer to excess, for a stinking lobster tail. Really; I just don't get it. show me a guy out lobster fishing on a Saturday night and I will show you a guy who isn't getting laid.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    Lawman, you have outdone yourself. That may be the best line I've seen you post. In fact, that's my new signature line.

mick

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +318
    Ahowler, I did not call lawman a retard. I called anyone who runs over a lighted bouy a retard.

I "man up" and wear a wetsuit a few times a season and dive for lobster. Ive invited anyone online to join me. The boat is better. I get to listen to the radio.

I did go to college. I went to 3 colleges. I have a AA/AS and a BS. Straight As. Deans highest honors, bla bla bla. Said it a million times. I work as a professional and can afford to eat anywhere I please, and I dont need to rely on the backs of other men to provide food for me.

Married with two girls allows me to be in the company of beautiful women each night I have dinner.

66 degrees at 9pm is not cold. I did not get a drop of water or piece of fish bait on me, I have not drank a beer while operating my boat in years, and its 14 lobster tails, not just one.

Saturday night I went hoop netting off the oceanside pier. I met up with my mother and father in law, my wife and girls, and a family. They ate at Rubys and me and my buddy fished for lobster and caught 13 starfish.

Show me a guy who can create dynomite lobster rolls, colorado lobster, lobster diablo and bisque...show me a guy who has a limit of lobster in his freezer and Ill show you a guy who gets laid.

Could you please use your saltwater tears to fill up my cooler so these bugs can swim?

14.jpg
    14lobster.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +318
    Hypothetical questions:
    1. Why would you look at a lobster board if you dont like lobster fishing?

2. Why would you claim to be the ultimate conservationist and preach for everyone to release all calico bass, but show a picture of you with a calico bass, AND A BUNCH OF DEAD LITTLE BASS IN THE BOAT?

3. Why would you say something to the fact that "If I had gone to college" I have a degree in biology. Fisheries biology for that matter, and you know that.

4. Cold weather? Why dont yo man up and wear a jacket. Dirty? Some fun things are dirty, ask a guy who gets laid.

5. Primitave man once believed in spirits and gods, some still do.

I work hard. Every day I get up, put on my big boy pants, go to work, support my family, be a good dad and husband, coach my daughters softball team, volunteer at school, and every once in a while, I find a little nut on the ground and eat it! Sometimes I get to go fishing or hunting or surfing or whatever Ive grown to love and be good at doing.

Trying to help out fellow anglers online. Guys Ive never met, never will meet. I hope they will be successful the next time they go out. I offer my tips that have brought me good fortune. Many have benifited from my tips and outings. Lobster are one little thing Im very good at. Not 100% of the time, but enough to be better than most.

I dont beleive Ive posted one single halibut picture or report this year. No bass reports, no dove hunts, didnt post my deer hunt. With this post, I see no reason to ever post lobster reports either. What more do I have to prove? Ive shown more lobsters in the last couple weeks, and bigger ones, than anyone will see on sdfish for the rest of the year. Its only October!

My tips and photos and tutorials are for those who care. Its like Im talking to PETA except PETA doesnt preach not killing animals with dead animals in the background, like you do.

Anyways, the next time I need you for court or when you feel that urge to kill something, we can get in touch.

8. Jerry

Jerry Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I hoop net also, and dont want to dive for them. I do it from the IB pier as I dont have access to a boat.

To each his own :D

Keep doing what your doing Paul, Cant please everyone.

9. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Paul- every now and then you toss out a line that is CLASSIC!

"Could you please use your saltwater tears to fill up my cooler so these bugs can swim?"

That is one of them. I was DYING laughing!

Thanks for the post. It was very informative. I have some hoop nets at home. They were given to me and they are practically brand new. I was thinking about selling them but you may have inspired me to hang on to them and give hoop netting a shot. I'm just paranoid about getting a buoy line (not my own) caught up in my prop. Have you ever run over a buoy line (either your or someone else's)?

10. halihunter

halihunter Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am almost postive that Spiny Lobsters do migrate...

11. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,188
    Fomen, a guy in our men's group at church donated $160 for the cause (cause he wants to go out too), and now after finding a good deal on some used hoops I'm going after these suckers myself. If you want to team up let me know, got no idea at all (in bay or out) so we could explore it together.

Paul, great write-up, your are the great one, as Fomen alluded (especially with all the great tips). Looks like you had to replace the bolt a couple of times, or it got too heavy with three?

(Paul, or any of you knowledgeable ones, any tips you could send on areas to go would be appreciated, not looking for waypoints, general idea is all).

12. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +318
  13. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +318
    Halibut hunter, I am aware that many lobsters migrate. True lobsters do migrate, as do many of the sub-speicies of spiny lobster. Mainly the tropical types.

The only statement that I have ever seen published was from the DFG in 2001 that simply states, "Lobster make a seasonal migration." There is no evidence of this, and no way to back up this statement.

On the contrary, a scientific study just concluded recently. This study was done by a professional team of sceintist using the scientific method. Here are some of the results listed below. Over a certain period of time, some 5000 lobsters were trapped and captured, and of those, 4000 were tagged and 79 were fitted with radio transmitters. Of the 79 transmitter lobsters, none left the bay and only one came from the kelp and entered the bay.

Of the 4000 that were acusticaly tagged, there were HUNDREDS of thousands of acustical transmission picked up by the same lobsters within the same general locations.

There were about 20 stations that were set up and when the lobsters were caught and tagged, they were released in the same location, and they remained in that same location the entire time. Very few left their home station and moved on to another station. None left the bay.

The lobsters in the kelp tended to stay put also. There was no evidence that the kelp lobster left their home range or that they went off shore, or that they migrated.

Lobsters walking in a single file line is not a migration. This is their means of primary locomotion. As I stated before, I have observed lobsters marching in single file lines all along the sea floor. I have seen this a few times.

Another interesting item to note is the fact that lobsters walk around in a circadian rhythm in a 24 hour period. In that time, no lobsters are seen migrating.

Obstervations were made that the majority of the lobster "search" within a 600m area, with most of those staying within a 100m area and eventualy returning to the same spot, day after day.

I realized that just because some deer migrate, not all deer migrate. Most mule deer will stay within 1 square mile of where they are born for their whole life. Sure there are other mule deer in Idaho that leave the Sawtooth range and venture into the valley when the snow sets in, but the deer on Palomar Mountain will be in the same general area year 'round. Our deer sont migrate, neither do our lobsters.

If you would like me to send you a full copy of the lobster report, I would be happy to do that. Likewise, if you have information pertaining to the fact that our local population of spiny lobster migrate, I would like to read that.

Paulfishes
    Paul the Great
    Paul Moritz

14. battleborn619

battleborn619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4
    PTG,
    Dude, you crack me up. Your results are undeniable. Thank you for sharing your techniques and reports. Most people would keep this type of information for themselves. Yet you chose to share so people can have better chances of enjoying the seas bounty (hopefully responsibly). You even offer up to take people out and pretty much guide them. Fellas you are not going to get a better deal unless you are friends with someone with a boat. Your post are both informative and entertaining. Cheers, J
    For the record I am not associated with PTG nor a fanboy. I acknowledge his sharing of knowledge to the community which is what this site is about.

15. baitboy777

baitboy777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    PTG,
    THANK YOU for sharing knowledge with everyone. Thats what sdfish is about, learn from eachother and maybe find a few new fishing buddies.

LAWMAN,
    If your so anti lobster why would you read the forum unless your trying to learn as the rest of are doing? PTG choses to give a few tips on a sport that clearly he has sucess at. Why must you bash people? Does it make you fell better slamming people? do we slam you when you go out calico fishing? NO we don't. why must you an educated man do this to people please help me understand.

PTG, Thank you again for your tips,
    Tight lines and full nets.
    Take a kid fishing.
    Baitboy777

16. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +94
    It's a scientific fact lawman never misses an opportunity to get on his soap box, and yes he has PTG envy .
    Paul I found your how to absolutely priceless. even if one never intends to trap lobsters at least you can read how it is done by someone who knows. Very educational.
    It's hard work takes great skill and commitment and is praise worthy in my book. Anyone who says otherwise is just a scrooge.

17. Lawman

Lawman Attorney at Law
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +415
    Boat:
    CC
    I read everything Paul posts. He is very entertaining and talented at meat hunting lobster. I don't bash people. I bashed meat hunting. Paul and I are friends. My posts are universal to the subject matter and not directed at any person in particular. The most important question is why does anyone care what I think?

18. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +94
    "Why don't you man up in a wetsuit and dive at night and catch the little creatures with your hands. Hoop-netters are a segment of anglers I loath. If you had gone to college, you could simply afford to buy a Maine lobster at Dobsons "

Love the way you speak to your friends.

19. Nick Danger

Nick Danger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    When I get up in the morning I wrassle greased pigs for my bacon and arm wrassle chickens for eggs. Then I wine and dine a cow so I can pull on her udders for a glass of milk.

20. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +318
    Ordering lobster at a restaraunt is meat hunting. You're just paying somebody else to do it for you. Time is money. Its way cheaper to buy a lobster. Its way more fun to catch them. Then again, I get off on trapping crawdads from the creek across the street just for the sake of catching them. Sometimes we put them in the pond and let the bass and catfish eat them, sometimes we put them back and catch them the next day with friends. My girls have friends come over and they all ride bikes to 7-11 and carry a hot dog and a crawdad trap and 5 bucks. We drop in the crawdad trap, go to 7-11, drink a slurpee and eat chips, then ride back, check the trap, and all the kids get to tell their parents that we caught crawdads on the way home from 7-11. The parents smile and have no clue because they work in offices and rule cubicles. If the kids are really into it, we will feed the crawdads to the bass in the pond, or we will hook one on to a pole and let a new kid catch a bass. Im trying to create a little pod of meat hunting booger eaters. Adults are too set in their ways, but I can certainly attempt to brainwash a gaggle of 1st and 5th grade kids.

Tomorrow the 12th, I will meat hunt up some gross smelly hurty flopping lobster. Anyone is welcome to join provided they have something to offer.

Nobody took me lobster fishing, nobody showed me how, I learned it on my own because it seemed fun and it is.

I got a new meat hunting tool a few days ago. A brand new Rem 700 .270 with a Leupold scope. I plan to send 130g of lead into a meat filled rib cage this fall. Im praying to our heavenly father that I get drawn for my coveted tag that Ive been putting in for all these years.

We also bought a cow that is being raised to eat. I love meat. Im a meat hunter. I release 99% of everything I catch while fishing. I will catch and eat a halibut this saturday. Im that sure of myself.

Meat rules. Lawman, you have inspired me to begin a new thread, the "Meat poll". Look for it in the lounge.