How will the lockdown affect fish stocks?

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Graydog, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Graydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +896
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    So I have been thinking about all of us locked down and with all of the sportboats shut down and really no access to the water for the vast majority of people, what could that mean for our fish stocks.

Rockfish are of course closed from Jan 1 to end of Feb which means they have only been fished for about 2 weeks this year and if this goes on another month (certainly could be longer but let's be hopeful) that would be basically a 4 month layoff of virtually no fishing pressure with the real possibility of longer. What does that do for rockfish stocks? Anything? I would have to think if they spawn during this time it would be helpful and could lead to a bigger fishery in years to come.

This would go for tuna and yellowtail too. While people have been able to fish them this year if everything remains closed through summer they would have virtually no pressure through some of the biggest catching months. Which could have a huge effect on their stocks as well.

Anyways, none of this is opinion, really just thinking out loud as to what this time of may or may not do for helping to increase numbers. Maybe great, or maybe minimal.

Just curious what others think since we don't have many fish stories to share.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +46,391
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I think very little on the RF front, as they grow fairly slowly and breeding should be long over with by now for most species. For some of the faster growing fish like whitefish, I would say it could be more significant, especially if warm water moves in early enough to increase spawn success. If that happens we may have a year like.. uhh.. 86?, Where almost half a million tons (?) of WF were taken off California, if memory serves... The greatest effects will probably be to the volume of paddy yellowtail if that water to the southwest of us ever really gets here en en masse.. boat pressure seems to disperse them, and the greater the volume is, the more boats will be applying that pressure.. most of the rest of the story on the pelagics may rely more on SST than fishing pressure, depending... Just IMO, I don't have hard and fast numbers, just a guess after sniffing the wind

3. Graydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +896
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    I can buy that. What really got me thinking about the whole thing is they close rockfish for 2 months which doesn't seem like much time either so what if that closure was effectively doubled or tripled.

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +46,391
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I think the main reason for the two months is to protect bocaccio and cowcod spawning, but I think most RF spawn overlapping those as well