I finally got my bear spray...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bobber, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,778
    I also got a belt holster for it. I was doing mind prep for instances when I might actually use it and want to get some of your opinions.

Do you think it would deter a snake or just make it worse?

It would probably get a mountain lion to leave you alone, right?

If I got to the point that I actually used it on a human, say fishing or walking through a local woodland area, would "feeling threatened" be reason enough or would I have to actually prove I was threatened? I know circumstances would weigh in but in general what are your thoughts? I feel like the fact I am female helps my side and if I was being questioned about it I would be sure and mention that I was a victim in a previous sexual assault. (That can't hurt my defense)

I couldn't find the post and I'm sorry I can't remember who told me to do this but they said call Law Enforcement and report it if I did spray someone. I felt that was excellent advice. The way I look at it if I was using it to assault someone I wouldn't call and turn myself in right after. That way the cops get my side of the story right away. And I may want to press charges too.

I know I had more but it's late now and I can't remember them all. I will add them if I think of more. This is serious business for me so I want to thank anyone who contributes in advance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,333
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    You may want to talk to an attorney or similar about legal end of it . There is much info online , take a training class ? I do know threatening to use it , is considered use . So if you point it , you should be spraying . If you have to use it on a person they are not going to be happy about it right or wrong . I would expect some form of complaint and possible legal action to follow . Tough call even though non lethal . One thing to consider is the size of the container bear spray is usually 8 to 10 ounces , for personal defense you are limited to less than 2.5 oz . Out on the trail where an element of nature may be involved , no problem . In town maybe not so easy to explain . As to the other question . I don't know about reptiles but pretty much any mammal ,dog , cat , bear domestic or wild will be deterred if you use it correctly . Hope you don't have to use but be ready . I would prefer to face a jury , rather than the alternative . WR

#2 William Ritchie, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  3. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,417
    California Pepper Spray Laws and Legal Use – Pepper Spray Store

An alternative: Sabre Defence Pepper Gel with Flip Top | Turner’s Outdoorsman

Less range but has the advantage of blue dye to better identify the suspect: Sabre Defence Blue Face Pepper Spray | Turner’s Outdoorsman

I got some of the gel to spray under the hood of my wife's car to deter rats that were eating her ignition wires (it works for that too). The stuff is intense and you want to step back quickly from the area sprayed and don't spray upwind.

As for snakes, they are purely defensive, just leave them alone. Bear spray would be great to repel a bear or mountain lion, aim for the eyes. And a skunk has its own spray so leave them alone too.

If you warn someone you are about to spray and they don't back off, I don't think they have a legal defense that would hold up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,224
    This is easy. Stay legal and stay out of court. Bear deterrent is for bears. Pepper spray (OC) is a human deterrent. Take your bear deterrent with you when you're out walking in the forest. Likewise, take your pepper spray (OC) with you when you're walking downtown. Use the product in the manner for which it was intended and familiarize yourself with CA use law before you walk out of the house with it. The best and hottest pepper (OC) spray out there is Fox Labs Five Point Three. You can most often find the California-legal size canister in both stream and fog pattern (2 oz size for citizens) on eBay for anywhere between $20-25 or so. I've turned several people here onto Fox Labs Pepper. I dont know if anyone has ever been placed into a position to use it yet But should they need it, I know they now have it.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  5. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,855
    Thanks Creek for the helpful information. Years ago my girlfriend was carjacked in La Mesa. She now carries pepper spray with her. The police captured the villain because she had LoJack in her truck and I went with her that night and she Id'd the guy in north park. I counted at least 10 police cars because the guy had a gun. Another civilian showed up and Id'd the guy also. I guess earlier, the guy tried to carjack him but he ran away. Pepper spray vs a gun is no match, but she feels a little safer with it.
    Anyway...I will check out the spray you recommended. :)

6. cort

cort Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +622
    Boat:
    ProAngler 14
    I have no firsthand experience but read (on a trip to Yellowstone) that if you carry the stuff for bears, you should aim in front of the bear (between you and the bear) not at the bear, because you want to deter the bear coming closer and if you aim at the bear you're as apt to make it come closer as further away.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,778
    Thank you for the input. It is basically for fishing (although I still won't fish alone at night) and walking around the lake for exercise. I don't really have great confidence in pepper spray. I have seen people shake that off and we have a loose dog problem here in the Village. My dog was peppered sprayed once by the mailman and all he did was blink and carry on. I am sure there are many people who say it's fool proof but I think bear spray is fool proofer.

8. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,417
    Note that once you use the pepper spray, it will leak the compressed gas a lot faster than if you never used it. So replace it with a fresh canister soon after use. It should also have an expiration date on the side. The last thing you want is a flat can of pepper spray when you need it. And don't waste it on snakes and the like.

Pepper spray varies widely in strength and some brands don't spray very far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,417
    Pepper spray vs. a gun is a great match if you can get the 1st shot. That stuff is vile, even the blowback leaves me hopelessly coughing.

10. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,778
    The only time I would ever bother with a snake is if I thought it would save my life. I have zero snake experience but I am horrified of being bitten by a rattler out here. There are tons at the lake. I keep my eyes peeled but that doesn't help me much because I have very poor eyesight. I just pray it never comes up.

11. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,417
    Snakes are purely defensive. The only way you are going to get bit is to step on one or come close enough to step on one. And a snake cannot strike longer than half its length so keep at least 4' from the snakes we have here and you will have no problem. Step on logs and rocks rather than over them if possible. They will often be in the middle of a trail sunning themselves. Off trail is more dangerous though since the odds of not seeing one are higher.

https://americanhiking.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Snake-Bites-fact-sheet.pdf

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,224
    Whatever you decide to use - OC/pepper, bear spray, Rust-oleum, Lysol, Febreze, Brut33 or whatever you're spraying at someone or something, have fun and be careful. Like a bullet, once the spray leaves the cylinder, you legally own it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,778
    Wise advice. My first choice is a firearm but this is California so..... I am a very responsible person (20 year Marine for a Dad) and was raised in Boot Camp it seems. I don't take this lightly and as I said before I still do not intend to fish alone. Even on Mission Bay during the day there are places I won't go. But...if someone is dumb enough to go there I am not afraid. Test me creepy person. Also I got a belt holster for it so it will be in plain sight.

Thanks again everyone for the input. I value your opinions.

14. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,115
    Saw a product at Costco today called Jogger Fogger. Hopefully the "Fogger" part is just bad branding.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,417
    Sounds like a flea bomb for joggers. Weird name.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,224
    Jogger Fogger.
    They claim in writing - clear as day - they created the hottest pepper on the market. Unfortunately, that's a lie. 2 million Scoville Heat Units. Please read their description below.

#3P UDAP Jogger Fogger® (fog): UDAP Pepper Power

Then read this...

Fox Labs
    And here is the product information for FOX LABS Pepper - the one that I'm always telling people to buy for two reasons... because its the hottest made at over 5 million Scoville Heat Units and because LE uses it religiously. Please read the description below to verify.

Fox Labs® | The Most Intense Pepper Spray on Earth! |

Well, look on the bright side. Jogger Fogger does come with a way cool FREE nylon holster. I guess I could overlook the lack of heat for the freebie !! Uh, :emoji_joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,417
    Pure capsaicin=16M SHU
    Pepper X=3M
    Habanero=350,000
    Jalapeno=10,000
    Resiniferatoxin=16B

Having gotten a small amount of jalapeno juice in my eyes before (from preparing them for cooking with), I can assure you that about any amount of pepper spray in the eyes would incapacitate most people. It's just a question of how bad and how long you want them to hurt.

Scoville scale - Wikipedia

18. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,224
    THE MAX. That's how much you should wanting these guys to hurt.

Putting these asshatz on the ground allows you to get the heII away from them before they can get up and chase you down. "Ya, you're scaring me and I want you to back off so I'm going to spray you now with this diluted pepper spray from some unknown manufacturer. I'm sorry if this hurts you Mr Bad Guy." Unbelievable.

Why on earth would anyone knowingly and intentionally use a lower strength or cheaper brand product? So they didn't upset anyone by making them roll around on the ground and cry? Better question - if someone is pressed to the point of having to hose down a bad guy with pepper in the first place, why would that person care how much the bad guy is going to "hurt?" Maybe we should have two types of pepper spray; Type A (full strength) for those who truly "get it" and want their pepper to do the job it was intended to do so that they can live to see another day, and Type B (mild strength - maybe soapy water) for folks that don't really want anyone to have to hurt. I cant imagine hosing down an irate bad guy with something less than the hottest and having him stand there and ask why I just sprayed him. But hey.. to each his own.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,417
    I am sure 2M SHU will be intensely painful for plenty of time but we could arrange some testing if anyone wants to volunteer as a subject. We can even perform a blind test (pun intended). I will wear goggles, mask and face shield myself while administering the test, I don't even want to get any blowback.

At some point, the delivery method (fog vs. stream and distance achieved) becomes more important than Scoville units. Creek: do you have an opinion on whether stream is better than fog? Or which brands have the longest range? I liked the concept of a gel spray, that seems like it could have a longer range than most sprays.

20. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,224
    Personally, I think you should be a test subject. That way you could have personal experience to pull from. Anyone with personal experience is aces in my book.

Gel, foam, with green dye, without dye, etc. Personal preference I guess. Ejection distances vary. Just because a brand new new canister will (most likely) unload at a 15' range in no wind doesnt mean its going to dispense at the same distance two years from the date is was manufactured. Pressures always seem to decrease with the shelf life. I always tell people.. use it once, then dispense the remainder of the contents into the sand or soil, then wrap the empty unit in foil and discard the empty unit in the trash can.
    If you're serious, yes.. straight stream. Why? Because fog is a mist. In the "heat" :emoji_joy: of the moment, most people aren't considering which way the wind is blowing. I've watched as fog blowback completely consumed a partner of mine. Simply put, he just didn't have time to get positioned upwind. Luckily, I was well over twenty feet away and still moving when he unloaded.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List