I have 1 Shimano baitcaster that always backlashes. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Skunked_Again, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Skunked_Again

Skunked_Again Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76
    I have a Shimano Chronarch 200E7 that I almost never use because I get the worst backlashes every time I use it. I'm no newbie to Shimano baitcasters. Over the last 20 years, I've had 2 Curados and a Citica. I love them like they are my children. I can cast on breakers all day and not get a back lash with those reels, but 3-4 cast with the Chronarch and there's an eagle nest in it. I've had it about 3 years now and it's never performed. I have the spool breakers and tension set the same way I've been doing it for 20+ years with my other Shimanos. I've tried adjusting these to add more and less tension, but no luck.
    It's a bummer because the Chronarch is the most expensive of all of my freshwater reels and so far it's also the biggest piece of crap I own.
    Do you guys have any advice? All my other Shimano reels are awesome. Did I just get a lemon? Is there something else I can try to fix it?

PS: If I can't fix it, does anyone want to buy a Shimano Chronarch? It works perfect. Best reel I've ever had. I'll make you a deal. :)

Thanks!
    Chris

2. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,670
    My only guess is somthings up with the brakes.

3. Burro707

Burro707 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    From experience If I back lash at the beginning of a cast it's the tension knob that needs adjusting, if the backlash is at the tail end, it's the brakes that need adjusting. Sometimes having the drag on to high can lead to line digging in the spool and causing backlash or spool freezing up.
    I only use power pro braid on my reels.

4. oh da shiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,856
    Boat:
    Ranger Z21
    That reel is garbage and I'll take it off your hand and dispose of it properly into my rod locker.......

In all seriousness, as mentioned above check your spool tension setting and also the braking system. Sounds like one or both are not set up properly.

5. Burro707

Burro707 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Also try replacing your line too

6. Skunked_Again

Ratings:
    +76
    Thank you! That's good to know. It always happens right at the beginning of the cast.

7. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Tighten your tension knob all the way, click open your bail, then loosen tension until it drops freely. Cast it and adjust again if needed. For your E7 to set your brakes open half and close half of your break pins to start them adjust from there. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,661
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    This may seem obvious but is your line threaded through all the eyes on your rod properly?

9. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Also, is your line spoiled on nice and tight?

A few backlashes and it might be time to fully unspool and respool under tension.

10. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,044
    Is it possible that you might be trying to throw lures that are too light for the set up? Usually two brakes on and a loose spool tension knob will do fine with most Shimanos that have the 6 pin VBS brakes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Skunked_Again

Ratings:
    +76
    Thanks! That's about how I set my tension every time I tie on a new lure. I'll try setting my breakers 50/50. On my other shimanos, I set them with 2 on and 4 off. It sounds like from most of the comments it's the breaks.

12. Skunked_Again

Ratings:
    +76
    An owners manual? Real men never look at those things. HAHA! Thanks for checking that. Sounds like it's definitely the breaks. I'll try replacing them. Adjusting them hasn't helped so maybe there's a problem with one. It's a cheap and easy fix. I let you all know how it works after I hit up Otay on wednesday.
    Thanks for all the advice!
    See you suckas on the lake....

13. Loco Jigs

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +138
    I have a Tranx 300 that does the same thing. No matter what I do I get a backlash.

I was told by Shimano to send it in.....hope that helps.

14. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Perfect. A Q Tip with a little rubbing alcohol can be used to make sure the tips and ring are clean. Anything but a clean braking system could cause issues too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Skunked_Again

Ratings:
    +76
    I like to change my line, or 100 yards of it, about every 2-3 times out. Or every time I fish in heavy cover. I started off using this reel for the light stuff. Now I mostly use it for the heavy stuff where it's more about dropping it deep than casting it out. Plus I have extra time to get the backlash out while it sinks.

16. Skunked_Again

Ratings:
    +76
    IT WORKS!!! I think this did the trick.
    I took some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol and completely cleaned out the whole break system. I didn't see anything obvious and it didn't look dirty or anything, but I made sure everything was clean and moving smoothly. Then set the breaks at 50/50. Not seeing anything wrong made me doubt that I had fixed it, but I decided to take it with me today and give it a few cast.
    It only took about 1 second into my first cast that I knew it was fixed. I let out a "F#@k yeah!" before my lure even hit the water. Feels completely different. It cast just like my other shimanos. Didn't catch any fish on that reel today, but was able to land it right on top of a few breakers with no backlashes at all. And with no bites. Still got a few on the lighter lines.
    Thank you everyone for the help! It's like having a brand new reel. WOOOHOOOO!!!!