I know I shouldn't but I probably will - advice needed

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by CON KSO, Feb 14, 2019.

1. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,113
    Okay - I know what they say about boats... "the best one is the one that your friend owns". Great advice but I am a foolish man. So I need some input here.

How would this do around SD Bay, out to Zuniga Jetty and maybe calm days to Kelp off Point Loma.

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 11.14.36 AM.png

Especially interested if you've owned something like this or have ridden/fished in one.

Will use this for Baja (so must be 14' or smaller for no hassle bringing in) mangroves and SD Bay/Zuniga Jetty and fishing around California freshwater. Want to mount a trolling motor on front not sure if this is doable with this type of hull- want to be able to fish near structure and use trolling motor to keep me there.

Would buy new with 20hp Yamaha/Suzuki tiller steer.

Thoughts? Good idea/bad idea given where and how I'd like to use it.

2. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,331
    I would never take a boat of this size, weight and configuration in open water. Great for a small fresh water lake, pond, marsh but rough water can crop up any time on open or large bay/lake waters. The light weight, low freeboard and lack of a deep "v" bow makes for a swamping from a following wake or side breach Ask me how I know this. Yea I have had some dangerous times in this type of boat lucky I was close to shore to beach and wait out a rough patch. I also think a 20 hp would be too much in power and weight for this type of boat. If not make me the named recipient in your life insurance policy.

3. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,113
    Okay, I'll bite, because I'd love to hear the story, "How do you know"?

Specs say boat is rated for 25hp outboard.

Is SD Bay "open water"?

What type of boat would you recommend (that meets my requirements)?

4. C0MRAD

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +537
    Boat:
    2002 Procraft 125hp
  5. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,113
    Cool hull! I'd need it no longer than 14' - if over 14' when you cross the border you have to get a permit at border.

6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +33,270
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Gregor and Klamath both make a 14' of the type you need.. stay away from anything else, IMO.. get a motor you can lift by yourself with minimum hassle, as long as it will push the boat reasonable speed

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,113
    Thanks for all the advice!
    Great advice guys - keep it coming! Welded for sure? Can I mount a trolling motor on the front of one of those types of 14'ers?

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +33,270
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    As near as I know, CON KSO , they do make long shaft trollers for those.. don't know much about them though.

9. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,766
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    I agree with getting a V hull however even the V can be very dangerous in open water and swells. Places like Abreojo's down south have rock pinnacle's just off shore that can create incredible force that are not fun to get trapped in. An aluminum boat with a 20 hp is no match. Hell as I have said before san diego bay can be very rough and dangerous as well but John you know your way around water and I'm sure you have a great amount of respect for it. Just be smart and safe.

On another note: Think about your fly line being on the deck. What is there to catch on. Very short smooth side rails. I tend not to use my basket unless its windy. Maybe think about the color of the deck it gets hot out there. You might want to consider a pedestal seat up front rather than a big boxee seat that takes up room but I very rarely use a seat up front I just stand unless its rough and or windy. Baja is never rough and windy:) Ok got to eat dinner and go back to bed. Looking At Hobie i11s It would take a miracle to pull it off. It's Valentine's Day What a perfect opportunity to ask the wife for a new toy. Not! Unless she brings it up first.:emoji_thinking: I wonder if there is any ads in the mail box.

Got to go:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Alumaweld and Smokercraft make some rugged ,deep small boats as well .Get at least a 20 inch transom !

11. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    I am sure a trolling mount of some type will be available , You can also make fore and aft removable casting decks that are smooth for the flylines . Good luck in your quest !

12. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,113
    Now that's the kind of advice I'm looking for!

13. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,113
    Dude... give mama some sweet lovin' and get the damn inflato kayak!

14. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,575
    fishingmissionbay, thoughts? Your ol' skiff handles pretty well out in the kelp and SD Bay.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,113
    What type of skiff does he have? Where and how does he use it?

16. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,766
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Carpet does come in handy to keep the fly line wet but if its too dark it can get hot. Cleats on the inside. At least two batteries. Three would be better. A decent sized trolling motor draws some power. You will be fighting some strong currents. I have a 70# trust on a boat that weighs somewhere around 1500# . Can't remember exact weight right now. Get what you need the first time around so your not disappointed. I had an 18' bay runner with a fifty horse. It was under powered. Almost cost me my life.

17. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,113
    I don't think I'd need that much boat fishing the south end of San Diego Bay or buzzing out to Zuniga. I'm not going offshore, maybe zip out to local kelp right outside of Cabrillo Pt on really calm days. If I want to fish near shore waters/kelps etc. I'll dig up a friend with a better boat and chip in for gas and beer.

18. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,810
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    0FC1E62E-E400-4BFC-B689-364A9F80FD97.jpeg C4B41B61-4419-45AE-BBA6-ECB4A82ACE8F.jpeg May want to look into inflatables as well. I currently have a 16’3”, but this brand comes in smaller sizes. I previously had the next size down14’9”. Using a 20 hp Yamaha. Have always felt very safe in these, taken them to the local kelp down to IB, LJ, etc. More stable in rough water than a john boat. Also if you get swamped, just start bailing!!

19. fishingmissionbay

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,987
    Boat:
    Alger West 17
    Anything will be good for a calm day at the kelp or bay.... but when the wind chop comes up or boat wake comes thru I’d worry big time about having a flat bottom boat with low rails like that. I’d look more at the aluminum skiff instead of something like this... if your looking for something that can be taken along for trips south then look into the blow up boats skiffs, those things are reliable and can handle well out there. They can also hold a lot of weight for a larger outboard too AND you can find them used for a reasonable price. Just my suggsstion tho! Good luck and have fun with whatever you get.

20. fishingmissionbay

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,987
    Boat:
    Alger West 17
    Are we ever going to fish again?! Break out of the lab early one of these days and let’s get the line wet