I messed up

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Serruchofish, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Serruchofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +295
    So my father in law's neighbor took us out fishing on his boat Sunday November second. He is a very nice man. We launched out of Dana and fished a quarter mile off shore. We did good, lot of rock fish were caught and ocean white fish. I was having a slow start. Now I'm normally a catch and release angler, except for when I get invited on the boat, which is about 4 times a year. I finally get a nice bite and pull it in to the boat. It's a nice Sandy! Finally I get to contribute to the cooler!!! I'm stoked, and the nice man measures it and says it's good legal! I take a quick glance and see it's like 14.5, but I should have looked closely. I trust him as he is a responsible angler and follows the rules. Well we get rolled up on by fish and game and they check our cooler. Every thing is going good untill they got to the sand bass. Well, it's 13.5! I take responsibility since it was my catch and I get a citation... Now I can't stress this enough, I thought for sure he was legal! Moral of the story... Measure you're own darn fish! So... What do you guys think this will run me?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,144
    out of curiousity what did the boat owner who actually measured the fish say to you after the fact, did he apologize to you after the SH#@show?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Serruchofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +295
    He felt bad and has offered to chip in for the ticket, every one on the boat offered but I'd rather not. Idk I hate asking people for money so I'll just take this as a learning experience and handle it

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,946
    You sound like a good guy, and you’re going about it like a boss. I’m going to guess that the guy who measured the fish ( and told you it was all good ) , was sharing your excitement, and wanted you to take home a fish, half way hoping DFG wasn’t going to show that day. An inch short is no mistake, but I’m thinking you were both looking at the measurement. Anyway, lesson learned, and you did the right thing by owning it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,721
    If he measured it, it’s on him. But always measure your own fish. That’s why I have measuring stickers all over the boat. That way no matter who catches the fish, it can be measured on the spot. Just a rule of thumb for myself, if a bass is 14.5 it’s going back in the water. To many variables for that fish to shrink, bend, tail gets mangled in the cooler etc... give yourself some room!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • List
  6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,745
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Not sure if it is true for all fish, but Halibut must be measured with the mouth closed and the tail fanned. That will shorten up a fish!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Egorham

Egorham Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +217
    Ouch man, that is unfortunate. I can share my experience. Once I was diving with bugs with a buddy. He dives much more than me and has taken way more lobsters. I grab one and it's a 'clicker' where the gauge would just go over the carapace if you forced it. I give it to him to measure it and he tells me that's legal for sure.

The warden on the beach did not share his sentiment, and it cost me $485. Learned multiple lessons that day, trust my instinct, triple measure, make sure your gauge is in itself accurate, and err on the side of caution. I could have bought a lot of lobster for $500.

It sucked even more because the warden was a diver himself and knew the spot. I told him that he knew I must have seen hundred of shorts that day and didn't take any of them and that this was a genuine mistake. He agreed, but was just doing his job, so I can't be upset with him.

8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,745
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Bet you still were!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Egorham

Ratings:
    +217
    Hehehe certainly wasn't happy about the situation. Was going to fight it in court, and should have, but when my 7am court time came up and I was laying in bed with my long distance (at the time) GF I decided to just pay the fine... What women and sleepiness do to the brain. I figured at best he'd reduce it a little and at worse I'd spend hours there for naught and just picked up a few more shifts at my work.

IMG_2079.PNG

Dug this up from my phone - this was the -$500 lobster. It had recently molted so had a soft shell, and in my opinion that's the only reason the gauge could be forced over it.

What struck me most about the interaction was how nervous and cautious he was around me. I realized after that it was because I was an early 20's male with a 9 inch dive knife strapped to my leg. These guys deal with armed people so often they really have to be cautious. I thought it was kinda humorous because I would obviously never do anything like that but it did stick with me.

Sorry to the OP for derailing the thread a bit, but I feel your pain! It will sting less with time.

10. Serruchofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +295
    I don't plan on fighting it, but will it help lower it if I show up?

11. Egorham

Ratings:
    +217
    Honestly no idea because I just paid mine. I felt I had a fairly legitimate case with the photo and the fact we were talking about <1 millimeter, but who knows.

There’s always a chance if you go and tell the whole story they’ll reduce it, but again can’t speak from experience.

12. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,144
    Its going to go down a few ways..
    You will get a fine / letter in the mail.
    $500 fine or $185 fine???
    If $500 is ridiculious to you, schedule / see the judge on your court date & explain to him that your sorry, it wasn't intentional & you made a mistake, hoping he could help & make the fine a bit more reasonable for your error...
    If the DFG officer dent show for the case, the fine is thrown out completely.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. PwerHaus

PwerHaus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I had the courts lower my fish and game bill by half. By showing up and owning up to my mistake and telling them I should have red the regs of the body of water I fished. Lesson learned and $250 down the drain. Ranger could have taken my gear but I was being honest with him so he let it slide. I saw a lot of tackle in the back of his truck though...

14. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +375
    Having had a father and stepfather in law enforcement, and having plenty of contact with other law enforcement in my own life :), I disagree with the sentiment “he’s just doing his job”. Law enforcement is empowered to make decisions in the field. Those decisions dont always have to be “by the book”. They’re imperfect human beings governing other imperfect humans. Sometimes it takes judgement calls that don’t follow “the book”, and that’s what makes a real LEO, in my opinion

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List