Icast Gulp products

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by John The Bass, Jul 14, 2020.

1. John The Bass

John The Bass Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +311
    Name:
    John Evans
    Hello! I've been browsing the new products from ICAST 2020 in tackle warehouse, and I was really excited when I saw some of the new gulp baits. What really caught my eye was the new gulp paddleshad swimbait. I know many of us love the gulp mullets, so I really think the bay fishing community's going to enjoy this swimbait. I've recently got into fishing the south bay with swimbaits from a kayak, and I cannot wait to use this bait. Also, there are new colors for the gulp mullets. There's this one color that's white with an orange tail. I think that would be an excellent ghost shrimp pattern. I've put the links down below. What do you people think?

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley_Gulp_Paddleshad_Swimbait/descpage-BGPS.html

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley_Gulp_Swimming_Mullet_Grub/descpage-BGSMS.html

2. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +823
    Its no secret. Gulp gets bit when all else fails. I have no doubt that paddletail will slay, BUT, I know that a 6in spottie will destory a gulp mullet as well. They are so fragile sometimes its just not worth it to me. I pray one day for a zman stregth gulp mullet at some point in my life lol

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,951
    I think they will of course work but rip after a fish or two. One of the main reasons that I stopped using gulp products was how soft they have gotten. Between that and the price I have pretty much moved on to other plastics. Minus gulp sandworms. That stuff is fish crack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +907
    Gulp works but spotties beat it up for sure. Maybe the paddletail will be more durable than the curly tail mullet. The paddletail does not seem to be that much different from the Ripple series: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VURHJS/?tag=sd07e-20 which works too.

5. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,951
    That definitely holds up better but I didn't have much luck with the couple packs I bought. The curly tail ones out fish it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +907
    Agree that the curly tails work better but are more fragile. On a dropshot, the spotties will even eat a curly tail with the tail bit off. I mostly use conventional soft plastics now but will sometimes apply scent like Smelly Jelly if the bite is slow. Nice thing about the Gulp is that the fish really hang on.

7. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,951
    I like to think of gulp baits like sponges. That scent juice is what keeps them plump.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,094
    Glad to see more colors from them finally. I used to have a similar pattern to the white/orange, I called it sun glo. Photobucket holding my pics hostage but you can see the general pattern.
    4AF4D199-7B23-44F6-9D61-A6DBB1590F91.jpeg

9. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,281
    I like the look of that paddleshad for sure. And that Chartreuse/Rootbeer mullet strikes me as a nice combo as well. I just can't afford to fish gulp products for how fast they fall apart lol