ICE Raids

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by old_rookie, Aug 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,057
    Creek : Great meme, love your hair and them nails. Looking fabulous.

Great question. The real estate industry is pretty broad. Unfortunately, wealthy immigrants have not provided me any benefits yet since I have not broken through to the million dollar market niche nor do I participate in the commercial side of RE. Maybe one day. For now, I'm just your average joe realtor in the median to low price bracket and occasionally helping out low income buyers using CalHFA to successfully purchase a home.

Poor immigrants renting in poor neighborhoods also have not provided any benefits for me personally, since I do not conduct property management.But I'm sure investors, lenders, property managers in those poor neighborhoods are smiling from ear to ear right now. Except for the landlords with sudden income interruption of their illegal immigrant tenants being deported by ICE.

Using ICE to go after illegals is one tool to fix the solution. It's probably the easiest tool for Trump or any president. Major overhaul to the entire system (immigration/tax/economy) will be such an up hill battle that will get shot down by just about everything.

Just one small observation, any foreign individual can purchase and own American land. This is really absurd to me. Some countries have really strict guidelines for property rights. Even from state to state. Like you can't buy properties in California if you were born in Arizona. Let's see how fast the lending industry and the real estate industry & their powerful lobbies knocks down tightening regulation of conducting businesses with such regulation or allowing sales of businesses to only American citizens. Can you imagine the end of capitalism?

I guess it all comes down to this: Politics - is the art of getting what you want (Credit to Tommy Chang) And guess what, we all suck at that game cuz we are getting taxed this, taxed that, getting out competed by this and by that. And it doesn't really matter who is the sitting president, or if we are in a recession or if we are in the best economy of our times. Rich stays richer, and the poor...well...

So ultimately, it's up to the individual to make the change. We are living in the best era of the human race with kick *** technologies in the best nation/state full of abundant resources....so what were you all doing today to make a difference? Cuz you know that guy that just crossed the border legally or illegally yesterday, today, or tomorrow? He is 100X more motivated and more hungry for that shot at improving.

Sorry for the ramble, just adding to the points made by kyle12345 and the OP and everyone that we are a nation made up of immigrants, legal and illegal, deeply intertwined, with positives and negatives and it seems like there's been lots of negativity flowing around everywhere you looked so I just wanted to say: don't forget about the positives and ENJOY THE RIDE!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,344
    I respectfully disagree. It matters greatly what kind of civilian life/job that President had before he/she came into power.

Trump as the perfect example, is a businessman through and through. He's not a politician at all.. and he's a terrible public speaker.. but he's a fantastic motivator when he speaks at his rallies.. why is that? It's because he's not afraid to say it like it is - in simple English. Remember if you will, a rally he had maybe a year or so ago when he said, "...The Democrats will now have to decide whether they're going to continue defrauding the public with ridiculous bulshyt..." Trump is really, really good at whipping a crowd into singing "Im Proud To Be An American" in unison .. and he's really, really good at verbally dicking around with the minds of mental midgets - like anyone on the extreme Left side of Congress and Senate. So yes, it does matter who's sitting in the Big House.

The rich stay rich (regardless of what political power - Dem or Repub - is in charge) because they have the cash to invest and the cash to hire people to invest the right way for them. The poor stay poor (most always) because they've allowed themselves to become accustomed to their lifestyle - and they're comfortable with that - at least they seem comfortable. If they were uncomfortable being "poor", don't you think you'd see them making an effort to climb the ladder - even if they were unsuccessful at getting above the first rung? We each have the ability to make things happen for ourselves - if we choose to climb the ladder. When I was 19, I chose to climb - without anyone's assistance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,057
    I wouldn’t expect any otherwise from ya. Would you be just as happy if the Repubs are able to pull a three peat in 2024 or would you be even more elated?

4. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,403
    Interesting that there are several corroborated reports of illegal aliens working at Trump companies, but no ICE raids.... hmmm.....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,344
    More elated. So wait for it... wait for it...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,495
    Boat:
    Montauk
    "Federal immigration officials say they have probable cause that all five companies operating poultry plants raided by authorities in Mississippi last week violated immigration law by knowingly hiring undocumented immigrants, according to search warrant affidavits that cite videotaped statements of managers."

A real shocker, huh?

7. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,344
    Once again.. Businesses are in business to make money. Any business that tells you anything different, is lying.

8. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,495
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Wanna curb the “invasion?” Have some of the suits do hard time. Oh wait, they're major donors. Never mind...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  9. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,819
    Name:
    Larry M
    I gave it a funny, but you are probably right.

10. Serruchofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +294
    I think it's very expensive to get it done. My dad spend thousands on lawyers and waited years to get his wife and my brothers here legally and the right way. Me and my sister are very fortunate to have been born in the us. I never take it for granted

11. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,984
    So they are free to ignore laws, such as not hiring illegals, if they make money?

Is there any example where one of these companies got prosecuted. Or just the illegals.

12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,344
    What I'm saying is, businesses will do pretty much anything at any cost in order to keep making money. And once they've had a taste of said money, they'll want more of it. And they'll do whatever they have to do - even if its illegal - to get more of it in their pockets. Why? Because money tastes good.

I posted this within comment #15.. "Third.. I've asked before but I cant seem to get a straight answer on this.. How is their employer paying them? Check or cash? Check means the employer (it the employer is legit) is having to - or should be - paying taxes and SS, etc on every dollar earned. Cash means they are (most likely) knowingly employing someone that doesn't have a valid SS#. Sooo.. whats up? Are we giving everyone a pass on that, too?"

Seems that question has now been answered.

13. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,819
    Name:
    Larry M
    Maybe this article will help.
    Your opinions may vary.

Screenshot_2019-08-16-08-34-10-1.png

Screenshot_2019-08-16-08-34-25-1.png

Screenshot_2019-08-16-08-34-37-1.png

Screenshot_2019-08-16-08-35-00-1.png

Screenshot_2019-08-16-08-35-11-1.png

Screenshot_2019-08-16-08-35-24-1.png

Screenshot_2019-08-16-08-35-45-1.png

Screenshot_2019-08-16-08-36-06-1.png

#33 Larry M, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  14. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,984
    I think we are on the same page Creek. Break a law, you don't get a pass but Larry's article seems to back up that employers don't get held accountable.

Seems an open secret the service and meat processing industry are loaded with illegals. How about go after the machinery that allows employers to get away with it. As you said their love of profit will make them ignore the laws.

15. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,344
    Ya, looks that way if its legit. Doesn't make sense to me at all. If you break a law, you should be held accountable for it - at least, that's what I was taught. But what am I saying.. it's the government.

Again, its a money thing. It might be miniscule in comparison, but money is money - even to the government. I guess what I'm saying is, the government is considered to be a business too, and they seem to enjoy the money coming in just like any employer. Who knows what the reason is for failure to prosecute. Time? Money? Lack of a strong case?