If you have room...

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Baywolf, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +631
    Name:
    Perry
    I realize that you lucky guys that have (and pay the expenses for ) nice open water boats get pounded with "friends" that want to go fishing with you. I've been there having owned nice Arima's. Given that, I also realize that being a "boat *****" is not a pleasant position to be in, but alas, I find myself in just such a position. So here goes:

Having recently relocated here, my wife (Shinna) and I are enjoying all that SD has to offer in way of fishing. As I posted in a recent thread, I was very lucky to have been able to go out and catch a tuna with a friend who happened to be in SD for a short stay.

I would love to have Shinna catch a tuna. She is as crazy about fishing as I am, and has caught her share of salmon up north. She is NOT a sissy, and can hold her own. She would need a place to go to the bathroom though.

We don't smoke, so no worries there. We are both retired, so our schedules are pretty open. The only issue is, we really don't have heavy gear, but would be willing to rent gear. I used my 40 spinning reel on my trip and actually didn't get spooled with a very small yellowfin. A bigger fish would have taken off.

If there is anyone who has room and would be willing to take us along, we would be very grateful. Of course, shares of fuel, bait and wash down work goes without saying.

Please let me know, and thank you. Shinna King.jpg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,798
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I imagine that if you help with the never ending gas tank emptiness, geofish might help you out. If you decide to go out on a local 3/4 day or whatever, just borrow some gear from me, I sell combos cheap, but haven't been to the swap meet or yard sales in awhile to get any more reels cheap (I sell basic combos to new party boat anglers fairly cheap)

3. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +631
    Name:
    Perry
    I'm up to rent or maybe purchase. I just don't know how often we would be offered seats.
    I get it about gas and other expenses having owned several boats. Because of that, we always offer money to help with expenses. Fully understand what B.O.A.T stands for. (Bring On Another Thousand) LOL!

I want to add...I've been on a lot to Fishing Boards over the years, and this site and the people on it are one of the very best! Everyone has made Shinna and I feel right at home and offered so much help and encouragement! Thank you EVERYONE!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,798
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Some great people on these boards for sure. Serious about the offer, Baywolf . If you need to borrow some gear, let me know, or if you want my opinion on something you see on OfferUp or whatever, happy to give my .02

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,154
    I’ll keep you in mind. I have all the gear you can use. Maybe you’ll get an idea of what gear to look for on “Offer-Up or craigslist or ?”

PS - Our toilet is a snap on toilet seat for a 5 gallon bucket. The Marine Toilet that came standard with the boat is for people under 5’.....

Can put it in Cuddy Cabin for privacy.....

6. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +631
    Name:
    Perry
    This is exactly what I mean about the great people on this site...
    I've never been comfortable using someones stuff, in case I screw it up. But since I'm in a temporary situation, I may take you up on your offer, if you agree that if I do screw it up, I pay fair market value.
    If you do come across some decent gear at a good price, please keep me in mind. The gear used here is totally different then what we use for salmon up north, so big learning curve for us. And of course, thank you.

#6 Baywolf, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  7. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +631
    Name:
    Perry
    Thank you! The "accommodations" would work just fine. We both very much appreciate the offer and understand what a PIA it is to be hauling newbies around. We promise to make the trip as painless as possible for you if we get the opportunity to tag along. I'll keep my eye on Offerup and ask questions to see if we can get our hands on some gear. Werfless has also offered us the use of some gear if needed.
    I will get my hands on any terminal tackle, lures, plugs and leader if you can let me know what we need.

Thank you for the consideration.

8. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,154
    Got all the tackle and lures too.

Last trip we only used #2 Circle Hooks. None lost, multiple fish per hook.

Me and Werfless are good buds. We both enjoy getting people on fish....especially noobs!

And don’t sell you and your wife short. You’ve caught fish folks down here dream about..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,154
    Where from up North?

10. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +631
    Name:
    Perry
    Thanks, From Tacoma, WA. Shinna and I are the same way. We love taking people out and getting them on fish if at all possible. It just so happens that I was on the phone this morning, talking to the surgeon who did Shinna's cataract surgery, walking him through how to target the pink salmon run that is going on right now. We started him out last fall on float fishing for big Chum salmon and now he's addicted! It is all about sharing the love...
    IMG_4311.JPG

11. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,154
    I lived in Poulsbo and Vancouver(WA).....and Medford, Salem and Portland.......

I love Salmon and Sturgeon fishing (and Steelhead and Trout are like Spotties to me)....

12. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +631
    Name:
    Perry
    Nice. Well, once we get back home next year, you will have to come up for a visit and we can put you on some kings in our "secret spot". :emoji_smile:

13. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,432
    Name:
    Larry M
    Baywolf,
    Hello fellow Arima owner.
    I have a 16 ft. one. They are nice riding boats, nice and dry riding.
    I lost the key to it so its been sitting in the back yard for years. Going to have to take it in one day and have it checked out after sitting so long. Its been covered though for the most part.
    My wife likes to fish also but I have to take the fish off.

Screenshot_2018-10-23-10-23-35.png

14. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +631
    Name:
    Perry
    Larry, Arima's are legends in their home state of Washington, and demand a pretty penny. They hold their value well and have a bit of a cult following. Good solid boats as you know. That would be a real nice ride for fishing Puget sound for sure.

15. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,772
    I have to say Larry, that is a Floatie looking little boat. Perfect for fishing both our bays / outside the kelp line etc. a new ignition switch with key shouldn’t be all that expensive or hard to wire in, I wouldn’t think. West Coast Marine, or Seawitch Marine in Vista ? Get that little cork back on the water !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,432
    Name:
    Larry M
    I know that I have to do it, just don't seem to have found the time.
    Who said that retirement was easy, I have so many projects around here that I don't know where to start. LOL.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,432
    Name:
    Larry M
    I call the owner of the company with a question and he called me back with help.
    I bought it in Montana and hauled it back home. I changed the engine to a fuel injection 4 stroke Merc. On my old boat my son and I would have to wear rain jackets coming back into the bay. This boat is bone dry coming back in.
    There is an Arima boat owners forum on.line. All of this hot weather keeps me from going outside, then the colder weather does the same. One thing that I'm good at is making excuses. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,772
    I love your honesty Larry. You’ve got the goods at your disposal, and you’ll use them when you’re damn well ready to. Nothing wrong with that my friend, before long your inner addiction to setting the hook will kick in, and you’ll be chomping at the bit to get that boat launched and start swinging on fish.

19. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +631
    Name:
    Perry
    Just a quick update. Our surgeon friend was successful today, catching his first ever Pink salmon. I spent the day with him via text and helped him work the river and find the seams. It's a good feeling to help.
    IMG_5469.JPG

Not the cleanest picture, but he was so stoked to have a catch, he snapped the photo within seconds of landing the fish...

20. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,432
    Name:
    Larry M
    Sorry for getting off track of your post.
    Hope that you get back on the water soon.