Im back..... and need a surf fix

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Lipripper, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Lipripper

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +390
    Back in beautiful SD from WA state. Just wondering whats hot right now in the surf. I hit TP north of the bridge and caught one little shaker corbina. Saw a few nice ones cruising up and lookin at SC beds but they were FLIGHTY...like super flighty. Is anyone having any luck with halis? Im not lookin for specifics or anything but if I know that they are in the surf, I can start lookin harder for them. Oh and I brought my fly rod down this time....so if any fly boys want to give me some pointers I would be super pumped.

2. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +631
    Name:
    Perry
    Welcome Lip, I just got in from Washington State too. Just starting to learn the different types of surf and bay fishing here in SD! What part of Washington are you from?

3. Lipripper

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +390
    I'm from the Bremerton area. I come down here regularly and love fishing the surf. What about you where in WA are you from?

4. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,422
    did you do any surf fishing in wa?

5. Lipripper

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +390
    yeah on the coast I hit shiner perch during the summer when the steelhead in the rivers are slow and before the salmon start coming into casting range, but that is about it up there. In the Hood canal and Puget sound we catch salmon from the shore but it isn't really surf fishing (no waves). I also catch flounder by the hundreds but the coveted salt fish up there is sea run cutthroat. That is what a chase mostly, after the freezer is full of salmon of course.

6. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,422
    I lived in Monroe for a short period of time..snohomish lake literally in the backyard..used to walk down there and see all the salmon..wasn’t into fishing then though..went out a year or two ago to visit the in laws who live in goldbar, tubes lake Stevens..love the Pacific Northwest..would like to try some surf fishing out there seen a lot of videos

7. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,422
    I meant snohomish river

8. Lipripper

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +390
    oh yeah for sure man. I love it up there. I am originally from Bakersfield CA so I did a lot of lake fishing for bass and catfish and also hit the canals real hard for cats and stripers. There is really good crappie fishing up there as well. I cut my teeth in the salt at morro bay, Pismo (before it became a tourist infested nightmare), avila, cayucas, san simeon, etc. I super dig the salmon and steelhead up in Washington though. When they start staging at the mouths of small rivers and creeks and you can see massive schools of them on the surface and cast to them.....its fun. All that being said if you are ever back up in WA in the late summer, fall, early winter timeframe PM me and, if I am in WA, I will try to get you on some fish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,422
    yeah they were thick..i probably couldve grabbed some by hand...ive fished those canals up there too a couple times....and morro..but if i am out there again i may hold you to that

10. Lipripper

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +390
    For sure man. I came down here for work at the beginning of the salmon mad house. The week I left, I limited sat-thur and had to leave on Friday..... it was ridiculous. Ill try to post some pictures when I get off work lol. All that WA business being said I think im gunna hit TP this evening. Tide and sunset look pretty good for tonight......