I'M DONE

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by flyfishinsteve64, May 14, 2019.

1. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,981
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    In another six months that is. 11-29-2019 is my last day. 106 working days left. Going to burn up the vacation time. and some sick leave on top of that. It should be fairly painless and I just might get out alive. 28.5 yrs. is enough in one place.. Going out four years early but things will be alright. I may not be able to fish around the world but this country and Baja has a lot to offer.

Just told the boss today. It hasn't really sunk in yet but I thought I would share with my fishin buddies. I've been working 38 yrs. in total and right now it feels like 100. I am done physically and mentally. Shift work is a grind.
    So if you thought I posted a lot before, Watch out. I plan on fishin a whole lot more starting soon.

It will be so nice to wake up and do what I want to do each day. I know there will lots of tasks that have to be done but its got to be better than The Grind.

Ah man its been a long haul.

Looking forward to meeting and fishin with more of you guy's and gals in the future.

Steve

• Like Like x 24
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. John S.

John S. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Enjoy your upcoming retirement. Keep busy and keep the mind working.

John

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36,640
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the reports

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,981
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Thank you sir. I will try and rebuild the mush that was my brain. The retired Operators say it takes 6 months to a year to be able to sleep and feel normal again. Crazy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,419
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    What are you retiring from, if you don't mind my asking?

6. Fourtogo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +845
    Took me a while to get over not working (37yrs one company) 2015 Nov 30 . Sold my boat bought a Hobie Outback. Then bought a PA12 love fishing try for two days a week . Ether shore and some city lakes or in the Yak . Travel from Redondo to San Diego to fish in the kayak. I live in Long Beach and am 5mins from the water . Not rich man but am enjoying my self .

7. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,981
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    I work for a city. 12 years in water distribution . Which is the pipeline's in the street. Installation service and repair of all water mains, service lines and meters. Maintained lakes ,dams and reservoirs. Worked with contractors and system sampling and a whole bunch more. 16.5 yrs. as a water treatment plant operator. I operated a 100 million gallon a day water treatment plant. One of the largest in southern California. When on duty I was in charge of the water plant, a hydro electric power plant and moving all the water around the city to 11 different reservoirs. Drinking water.

I work 5 different shifts at the water plant. Every two weeks it changes. Day shift like normal people. The craziest shift. Sometimes directing multiple crews at one time. Some times I would be talking on two phone lines and two radios at one time. The Duty operator is in charge of everything that go's with the water plant ,hydro electric plant and the big water mains in the city. Nobody does anything until they notify the plant operator. Nobody comes into or leaves the plant with out letting the operator know. You don't fix nothing without the operator's permission. You don't ever turn on a garden hose on at the plant without asking if its ok. It all has an affect on the way the water plant runs. I you turn on a water hose it can affect my chemical feed systems. The operator see everything thru graphs, and gauges. I have to know where everybody is at all times incase of an emergency. There is a lot of dangerous chemicals and systems at a water plant. If there is an accident we have to account for everybody.

Same thing on the other four shifts. Swing shift 4pm to midnight most everybody go's home but you still have a few workers around. Graveyard shift midnight to 8am. Generally alone. Weekend shift 12 noon to midnight you have a junior operator with you and midnight to 12 noon alone.

As you can see getting sleep can be a challenge when constantly changing shift. We try every trick know to man to get sleep but in the end you just go without and your a zombie trying to run a water plant. The good thing is all the extra operators at the plant have your back. When your so tired you can't remember a math calculation or your have a brain fart and can't remember which button to push. With a lil grin they will set you strait.

Its an insane way to make a living but its a good living. 6 figure's with four college classes and a few hard state exams to get your license to run any water plant in America. At first its a great deal for a fisherman. Lots of time off when others are working but after years of doing it wears on you. Many years ago while still doing fairly good (mind and body) I went fishin off La Jolla after a graveyard shift. I fell asleep while paddling back in to shore. I could not stay awake. That was the last time I did that. Who would think you couldn't stay awake while paddling back to shore.

So that's what I did. I was very good at it. Operators are a Unique bunch. If anybody is interested it working in the field of water works let me know I can help you get started.

Steve

#7 flyfishinsteve64, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,301
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    YIKES!

9. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,981
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Oh and with the certificates that you get from the state you are put on a list and when agencies are looking for new people the just mail a flier to your house. I get 3-6 fliers a month notifying me of job openings all over the country. currently there is a .3% unemployment rate for treatment plant operators in this country. Some times they offer cash bonuses to go to work for them. Right now is a great time to get a job with any city. When times are good nobody wants to work for a city. They don't pay as well as the real world as we call it but when the recession hits which I have been thru three in my career, we are working and others are not. That's when you start hearing all the stuff about city slackers and they get paid to much and so on. City's have to compete for workers just like any other company. So they offer retirement and that stuff. I hear the B.S. all the time especially when times are tough. When I started for the city they paid me $9.47 an hour plus benefits and I was making 20-30 on the outside in construction. I took the leap for the security for my family went back to school and now I'm retiring at 55 yrs. old with five solid figure's .

Do me a favor don't #itch because someone has a great city job. Go out and get one yourself. There are lots of them out there. It just takes some extra effort. Stay away from streets and parks they make no money. Get into sewer or water, those job don't get cut.

Steve

10. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +966
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    WOW!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I did it on 3/6/19 and I still feel like my feet haven't touched the ground! You are going to LOVE retirement. I too have worked 38 years and I don't miss work one bit. AGAIN CONGRATS you'll be so happy

11. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,273
    Name:
    Ray
    Sounds like it is well deserved and am sure you will enjoy it. I am counting the days on my end as well but I have a few more than you (2 1/2 years). From what I have heard the slow life agrees with most.

12. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +465
    Congrats to all retiring baby-boomers:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,981
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Depending on who you ask I am the last year of the baby boomers 1964. Kinda sad. Why I don't know. I just heard about them damn boomers all my life.

Starting to get excited about retirement here on day two of my decision. :)

14. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,529
    Let me know when you're ready to go throw a few Clousers in the bay.. cant wait for my own retirement.. a hearty congrats on yours. Well deserved. Mike

15. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,981
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Thank you Mike looking forward to fishin with you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,443
    When I retired in 2001 after 35 years I sat on my butt for 6 months and then went stir crazy. After wifey came up with all sorts of projects I decided to go back to work part time which was a lot easier as a gov't contractor which meant I could be as busy (or not) as I wanted to be with most of my contact by phone/computer and no office politics. In 2015 I finally had enough and realized that the more I worked the more money I made and the more money I made the more taxes I had to pay.....pheeww. Fully retired now and I wake up every morning sitting on the front porch with my cheerios and coffee waving at my neighbors rushing off to work thinking what am I going to do today till wifey says "Today we are going to ......." :emoji_worried:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,404
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Thank you for this -- and a big congrats! Couple more years in the rat race for me...

18. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,981
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Well good for you Weldon. I'm glad your finally settled in. That's funny waving to you neighbors. I might just do that. I know I will need to keep busy. I could even get a part time job but it would be on my terms. WoW that sounds nice. I hope not but we will see. I'm still a bundle of nerves right now. There is just so much going on in my head. Maybe once I sign the paperwork here in the near future I will be feeling better. I have a little quilt leaving early. I feel like I quit because I'm a wuss or something. I know its not true I have to stop. What I have done to my mind and body is pretty intense.

Hey Weldon thanks for listening, your a good listener :)

19. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,981
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    You
    Good luck to you. It's a rat race and the world is changing. As you know the workplace has changed a lot too.

20. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,981
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    I just remember that I quit going to Golden state fly fishers meetings because I couldn't keep up. Cool I can join again and help out with all the great things they do for a veterans and Boy scouts and trout unlimited and so on and so on. Maybe volunteer at the UCSD burn center. We owe those guys. Puts a smile on my face.:emoji_thumbsup: