Image attachment resize issue for some users on Firefox

Discussion in 'Announcements, Support and Feedback' started by Nute, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,229
    Ill try and send an image showing you. I'll try to explain. I have a waterproof camera with an sd card that I use for most all my sessions (ive already donated one iphone to murray). For example, I put the sd card in my pc and download my pics as normal. In theory, I should be able to drag that photo, or upload that directly into a post/report. It seems the image size from the sd card is too big when dragging and dropping on to sdfish.

This is how ive been gettin around that, I have an adapter that lets me upload my pics onto my i pad, then from there I just use tapatalk to create the post/report etc. The problem seems to be with photos taken possibly from a camera, not a phone, and then the issue of dragging from my desk top.

Hope that made sense.

oh, and yes I tried it when i wrote the original post. That paticular photo was taken with an iphone, but I also have it uploaded on my pc. It still said the file was too large.

ok, it looks like this one worked? this was off of my pc, but i dont recall if it was an iphone shot or not.

BUT as you can see the image isnt sized correctly regardless.

399.JPG

2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    Re: New forum design

Ah. Yeah, its not meant to work like that. There is no drag and drop functionality intended.

The way you add images is just simply click on the "Upload attachment" tab directly below the input box when creating a post. From there, just click browse or choose file and select the picture either on your hard drive or on your SD card while its connected to an SD card reader. Once you upload it, just select "place inline" and it'll insert the picture code into the input box for you.

The picture is also being displayed into the post the way it is intended to work as well. That keeps people from breaking the format of the page with some sort of crazy dimension photo. If someone wants to actually see the whole picture, they can just click on it and it displays the entire photo.

I increased the attachment upload limit from 2MB to 8MB and from a maximum picture dimension of 2000 x 2000 to unlimited. So as long as your photo is less than 8 MB, it'll work just fine now. If its bigger than that, you have no reason to be trying to upload it anywhere onto the internet.

3. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,229

I get the upload process that you have now, its relatively the same thing you had before. The drag and drop was an example of a simple macro you could plug in to create that function. What i was challenging you on is the automatic pic format that re sizes both memory/and pixel size.

Example: whenever I use another method of posting (tapatalk, or photobucket on the pc) all the pics, regardless of size , POST in within the parameters of the box im typing in. One pic isnt bigger (pixel wise) than the other. You should still be able to click on the pic to see a full screen image or what have you. I wish I knew the plug-in/macro for that, but shoot, if an app can do it we should be able to make that function possible via desktop viewing/submitting as well.

Crazy thing I noticed , is if I view it on my iPhone its fine (the image in my previous post). But if I view it on the PC , it isn't sized correctly. It has the scroll bars on either side of the image.....

4. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852

It could be done, yes. But adding things and customizing how the actual forum software works is something I generally don't do unless it makes a huge improvement. Fact is, adding code or modifications creates possible security loops, and also makes keeping the software updated a BIG pain. Having an outdated software package makes for big security risks.

So with that said, I'm not interested or willing to make small modifications like that. Thank you though for your suggestions.

5. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,229

case in point. check out Joefishes' most recent freshwater report. His photo is great when viewed from a phone, but when viewing from a desk top it is a pain to look at. It even stretches into the page text of the forum. C'mon dude. You should be interested, AND willing to remedy something like that.

6. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852

Post a screenshot of what you're seeing. It's not displaying like that for me. If something is wrong, I'm all about fixing it. I'm not going to put the forums at risk because one user prefers to drag and drop photos instead of making a couple mouse clicks.

7. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,229

Ah Dude, you're misunderstanding what im talking about.

Hopefully this explains a little. The drag and drop suggestion was just that, a suggestion. The issue I was bringing up was a photo format issue. Im sure youre much more literate in this stuff than I am, so I can understand your frustration in your responses. If this is something thats acceptable (the way images are seen) then so be it. I also thought it might be my browser, which is possible (firefox), but my buddy said chrome has a similar issue with having the scroll bars on the image within the post.

Capture.PNG

8. barryf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +159

Here is what it looks like in chrome.
    11348098294_2a6c1ecf0b_z.jpg

9. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852

Thanks for the screenshot, I will try to figure out why its doing that. Its not supposed to look like that, and doesn't on any computers, tablets, or phones that I have access to. So I wasn't aware of that until now.

And truthfully, nothing in that regard was changed with the new forum design. That has all been in place for years.

Its supposed to display the way it looks in barryf's post below yours. But I will see if I can get that buttoned up.

10. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852

Here is how its supposed to work;

This shows how the image initially loads in the post. The photo is cropped down to a shorter size with scrollbars so that the post is easier to scroll through;
    [​IMG]

This shows how the image appears if you click once on the image. It'll then display the whole image, but resized to fit within the post. Thats apparently whats not working properly on your machine, and I will try to get that figured out;
    [​IMG]

11. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    I took the posts about this particular issue out of the "New forum design" thread, since it was its own issue, and not related to the change in the forum's visual look.

This ONLY affects images posted as attachments, not images posted using the IMG tags (linked to from other sites, like Photobucket, etc..). Those were being resized correctly, as far as I know, being able to confirm on the latest versions of Safari, Firefox and Chrome.

I have made the following changes to the way images are displayed when uploaded with the "upload attachment" functionality;

Photos that are larger than 600 pixels wide, that were breaking the format of the page for some users will now display just as text links within the post. If you click the link, a new page will open with the photo.

Images smaller than 600 pixels will be displayed inline with the post, as they do not affect the layout of the page.