Inflation how much air?

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by JWL79, Apr 13, 2018.

1. JWL79

JWL79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Just got my Cumberland float tube. How much air is enough or too much? I tried it on lake Hodges and I was sitting lower than I expected. I think I had it a little under inflated but the cover didn't have any wrinkles. The instructions aren't very clear. Thanks

2. chris cox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +366
    Yeah, i go til all the wrinkles are out and the cover is tight. I have had seam leaks before so i try to not push it too far. By the way, the cumberland warranty is legit. When i got the leaks i contacted the company, had a new set of bladders in a few days no questions asked.

3. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,201
    Rule of thumb: Once you get all the wrinkles out, grab a large portion of the tube with one hand spread out. Your thumb should be able to push about 3/4 of an inch without putting in too much effort. Keep in mind that taking your tube to higher elevations will expand the volume of air and so will heat. You'll get used to it.. over inflating is no bueno.
    Good luck!

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I use a 3/4" OD plastic tube to finish off my tube by mouth. I blow as hard as I can and call it good. When you put it in your car or let it sit in the sun out of the water, let some air out. Can't confirm it, but I have heard that the new Cumberlands have a valve that automatically lets air out when they become over-inflated.

BTW make the plastic tube about 3' long and carry it with you for emergency on-the-water inflation. Fits nicely behind the seat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,635
    First of all you should have bought a Fish Cat lol
    I press on my tube with my thumb, I like to have no more then a quarter size dent when I do this.
    If you have a pool try it out and inflate and deflate till you get it just right. Don't over inflate, it's not fun when it blows on you and your in the middle of the lake

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Is that really a thing that happens?

7. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,635
    Never happen to me but I think we can all agree it would not be fun lol
    I was in the bay right under the Coronado Bridge when I noticed my tube was slowly losing air. I was almost in the middle of the bridge and had a long panic kick back against the wind to get back to shore. I found out it was just that I didn't tighten the air valve enough. Lesson learned

8. chris cox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +366
    It has happened to me with one of my prior tubes, creek company i think. Single chamber. By the time i got to the bank i was almost in trouble. After that, i knew i needed dual chamber tube. Just for piece of mind when your kicking across a lake, if you do spring a leak you can depend on the other chamber to get you to the bank.

9. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,111
    Name:
    Ray
    Like fisheromen said, carry a section of tube so you can add air on the fly. Very good idea for those rare times when you spring a leak. Will keep you afloat long enough to get to shore.

10. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,291
    Don’t forget to keep a small tube of aqua seal and some tare-aid patch in the tube. You never know when your gonna need it.

11. JWL79

JWL79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks, I put a bit more in today and it was much better.